Getting ready for Carlisle . . .

Barry S

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Getting my Newport ready for the ride to Carlisle. As part of that it's getting new sneakers, here it is in "Hover Mode" :lol:
IMG_8772.jpg

I would have liked to go with 15" Magnums like Cbarge has on his 68 (I love the look of his car!) instead of the 14" Magnums that I have, but that didn't fit in the budget. I went with the Hankook Optima whitewalls, they should look fine. The old tires had plenty of tread, but were getting pretty dry rotted.

Also doing some other things:
I rebuilt the carburetor and that really made it run better! Bought the kit from Mike's Carburetor shop - it was excellent!
I'll be going through the brakes while it's up on stands. They work really well so hopefully I won't find too much that needs work. I am going to replace the rear brake rubber hose, the one that's on it is pretty old.
Adding Pertronix Igniter II
Replacing the front shocks
Adding a temp gauge - I bought the one that goes where the ash tray is
Other odds and ends.

It's a pretty good ways from Buffalo to Carlisle, so I'm hoping for an uneventful ride!

Getting my Newport ready for the ride to Carlisle. As part of that it's getting new sneakers, here it is in "Hover Mode" :lol:
View attachment 297727

I would have liked to go with 15" Magnums like Cbarge has on his 68 (I love the look of his car!) instead of the 14" Magnums that I have, but that didn't fit in the budget. I went with the Hankook Optima whitewalls, they should look fine. The old tires had plenty of tread, but were getting pretty dry rotted.

Also doing some other things:
I rebuilt the carburetor and that really made it run better! Bought the kit from Mike's Carburetor shop - it was excellent!
I'll be going through the brakes while it's up on stands. They work really well so hopefully I won't find too much that needs work. I am going to replace the rear brake rubber hose, the one that's on it is pretty old.
Adding Pertronix Igniter II
Replacing the front shocks
Adding a temp gauge - I bought the one that goes where the ash tray is
Other odds and ends.

It's a pretty good ways from Buffalo to Carlisle, so I'm hoping for an uneventful ride!

That's a lot of work to do in two weeks. . .

"Hover mode" is a good one. Best of luck with "the list," and hope you don't have complications. Looking forward to seeing it.

That it is, but I think I can pull it off. Since I'm working in the driveway it'll be weather dependent too. (My 60's car just barely fits in my 60's garage so no room to work there . . .) Updates to follow . . .

I still have to R/R both lower ball joints, R/R the trans to replace front seal, R/R the starter, adjust the shift rods. I think my frankenstien TQ is ready but will probably wait on it till I get back.
Dave is going to be a busy boy also.

I’d just go with the original pertronix. They are MORE than sufficient and you never hear of anybody having problems with the standard kit.
I’ve had mine in my Imp for over 20K troublefree miles and I actually have had some regrets about swapping to the ma Mopar electronic ignition on my Challenger although with a custom distributor from @halifaxhops its running the best it has yet. I have nothing bad to say about my experiences with pertronix.

I’d just go with the original pertronix. They are MORE than sufficient and you never hear of anybody having problems with the standard kit.
I’ve had mine in my Imp for over 20K troublefree miles and I actually have had some regrets about swapping to the ma Mopar electronic ignition on my Challenger although with a custom distributor from @halifaxhops its running the best it has yet. I have nothing bad to say about my experiences with pertronix.
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Pertronix ignition is a bit of a controversial subject here, really glad you've had good performance with it. I've already purchased the Pertronix II so will be going with it, hopefully with good results like you've experienced.

I still have to R/R both lower ball joints, R/R the trans to replace front seal, R/R the starter, adjust the shift rods. I think my frankenstien TQ is ready but will probably wait on it till I get back.
Dave is going to be a busy boy also.
Wow, now that's quite a list! Best of luck on getting through it!

Rock Auto sells a points conversion kit WVE/AIRTEX/WELLS 1A4090 for 181.99. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about it?

Rock Auto sells a points conversion kit WVE/AIRTEX/WELLS 1A4090 for 181.99. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about it?
I googled it and it looks just like a Pertronix unit, except it's more expensive.

Pertronix 1381a

751-1381a.jpg

WVE/AIRTEX/WELLS 1A4090

1A4090__ra_p.jpg

Not positive but they have reboxed stuff before sure looks like a petronix.

I'll sell you a Dave's special points elimination system.
Looks just like the above units for only $211.89 and I sign each unit for 5/50 guarantee. PM me if your interested.

does the conversion require other components or does this wire directly to the coil?
Nothing else, just wire it in according to the directions.

I suggest going with the Pertronix unit rather than the Wells piece. It's obviously the same unit, but you can buy the Pertronix version for about $100 less. You will also be able to call Pertronix etc. should there be an issue. PerTronix Ignitor® Solid-State Ignition Systems 1381A (Double check the part # and application)

I'd also look at the Pertronix Ignitor II as I think it's a more reliable unit because it has some internal circuitry that protects it if the key is left on.

Cue the "Points are awesome" Luddites.

I’ll second the Pertronix customer service. I got the Pertronix III and had trouble lining up a screw to the mount plate. I called, we swapped phone pics and fixed it.

I had a great trip to Carlisle. The road trip went well, I caravaned down with my youngest son, Jeff, who was driving my father in laws 67 Barracuda. Very cool to have two 67 Mopars heading down together. Had some minor cooling issues, but as long as I slowed down a bit on the longer hills I was ok. (I did add a digital temp gauge which was great to have). This was my first time to Carlisle, and it was awesome! My oldest son, Chris, came up from Raleigh and brought his 8 yr old daughter, and my brother in law and father in law were there as well, so it was a real family affair! The cap to the event was that my car won second place in it's category - really cool! Here are some pics - from the trip down, at the hotel, and my granddaughter holding the plaque.

IMG_8855.jpg

IMG_8896.jpg

IMG_8916.jpg

Back