Glad to be here! Working on getting my 68 New Yorker to daily driver status.

NHCars

Reaction score
I'm posting in from New Hampshire. I have a 1968 Chrysler New Yorker that I inherited from my dad. It is probably a bridge too far for a proper restoration, but I'd like to make it more drivable, starting with the horrible noises coming from the belts and pulleys.

Anyone know how to start picking at those to see where the offending parts are? I don't see any kind of a tensioner (which I have some experience with from another vehicle), so I am still noodling how to attack this. I'm figuring to take off a belt or two and see if I can determine the source of the screeching.

After that? I have one non-operational electric window to fix. And some A/C might be nice giving the heat this summer, although that's probably best left to the professionals.

Welcome. My ‘68 is non a/c but tensioners should be the same. Alternator is adjustable as is the power steering pump. First step is to go here and down load a service manual. I don’t see one for a ‘68 Chrysler, but you could get by with the ‘68 Plymouth one for general maintenance items. You will learn lot’s from it.
Service Manuals – MyMopar

I would still go online and search for the 68 Chrysler service manual. It would have all the correct wiring schematics and items pertaining to your car.

I'm posting in from New Hampshire. I have a 1968 Chrysler New Yorker that I inherited from my dad. It is probably a bridge too far for a proper restoration, but I'd like to make it more drivable, starting with the horrible noises coming from the belts and pulleys.

Anyone know how to start picking at those to see where the offending parts are? I don't see any kind of a tensioner (which I have some experience with from another vehicle), so I am still noodling how to attack this. I'm figuring to take off a belt or two and see if I can determine the source of the screeching.

After that? I have one non-operational electric window to fix. And some A/C might be nice giving the heat this summer, although that's probably best left to the professionals.
Welcome from Virginia!
I'd start with replacing both belts and adjusting tightness. NAPA's belts have gotten rid of many screeches for me. I believe Gates is still their manufacturer.

Thanks all. I purchased a copy of the Service Manual and Parts List from RockAuto. It's hundreds of pages so I'll start picking through that.

@Big_John that video is for pre’68 with the much too complicated hinging bracket. (The video is labeled wrong). ‘68 and up are a simple bracket.

@NHCars for ‘68
Pictures of bracket From the under side. (Adjust from the top side)
image.jpg

From the top
image.jpg

Blue bolt hole is slotted. 1/2” drive hole is up by the long pivot bolt (top). Loosen pivot bolt. Insert 1/2”drive ratchet or breaker bar. Loosen lower slotted bolt. Use 1/2 ratchet to tighten belt. While holding ratchet and belt tight, tighten the bottom slotted bolt, then tighten the top pivot.
image.jpg

(The video is labeled wrong). ‘68 and up are a simple bracket.
I distinctly remember that type of bracket on my Dad's '68 300 that he bought new. He cussed at the bracket more than once.... Especially after a warranty repair of the pump and the belt adjustment was done incorrectly.

@Big_John that video is for pre’68 with the much too complicated hinging bracket. (The video is labeled wrong). ‘68 and up are a simple bracket.

@NHCars for ‘68
Pictures of bracket From the under side. (Adjust from the top side)
View attachment 555040

From the top
View attachment 555041

Blue bolt hole is slotted. 1/2” drive hole is up by the long pivot bolt (top). Loosen pivot bolt. Insert 1/2”drive ratchet or breaker bar. Loosen lower slotted bolt. Use 1/2 ratchet to tighten belt. While holding ratchet and belt tight, tighten the bottom slotted bolt, then tighten the top pivot.
View attachment 555042
The parts manual I can download is missing that section, so I can't point at part numbers.

The OP has a Chrysler, not a Dodge, so the bracket may be different... the other possibly is because of different pumps fitted to the cars.

Big John; Any idea what the part number (or name) is for the item in your photo. I think it might be exactly what I need. That, and some pulleys in the vicinity.
Not sure what you mean.

If you are missing all or part of the bracket, it might be better to go to a newer style.

I distinctly remember that type of bracket on my Dad's '68 300 that he bought new. He cussed at the bracket more than once.... Especially after a warranty repair of the pump and the belt adjustment was done incorrectly.
Yes I am a little Dodge blinded. The Chrysler’s used a larger pump than the Dodge’s as well, so maybe took a little longer for Chrysler to switch to the simpler bracket.

Yes I am a little Dodge blinded. The Chrysler’s used a larger pump than the Dodge’s as well, so maybe took a little longer for Chrysler to switch to the simpler bracket.
Well, this is what happens when I've just gotten off an hour long conversation with the cruise ship's "customer service" getting them to fix their screw up from a year ago. I get fired up about being right.. LOL!

Back