Glueing Felt to Metal

Mudeblue

Reaction score
The Glass Window Run on a 1965 SF used Felt glued to the Metal Channel vs. a rubber insert. As part of my restoration project, I need to replace the Felt but am not sure what type of glue to use. It should be tacky, hold the Felt in place, weather well and cure to a flexible adhesive. My thought is to use Gasket Adhesive. Any thoughts?

I suspect it is not pure felt, but rubberized felt. A rubber basic structure with a layer of felt on top for easy of movement. As I recall, is was probably a molded rubber item, too. The front of the glass opaque plastic slide was plastic with a felt surface on it, too, but more like it was sprayed on rather than an actual piece of felt glued to anything on THAT particular piece.

A similar rubberized felt window channel was used on '73-'87 GM C/K pickup doors. Might even be the same size that will tolerate the glass width of the SF's window glass? In the 1990s, that GM channel was not very expensive, but I don't know about now.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I agree with 73coupe, also your suggestion of gasket adhesive, which is essentially thicker contact cement, typically black in colour, and usually comes in a toothpaste style tube. Whereas contact cement is yellow, also available red dyed. Depending on the colour of your felt, it's something to consider.

Contact cement works great but you'll be smelling it for awhile. Ive used this loctite caulk on glass and shiny plastics. Firm rubbery when dried, odorless, home depot or Menards. A little thicker than glue, maybe not good for small detail stuff but sticks to anything.

46849.jpeg

Last edited:
It's a 3M product, what could go wrong?

So because it's made by 3M, nothing could go wrong? They aren't perfect, as their 9 million dollar settlement to the U.S. government for providing defective earplugs to the U.S. Military shows. And not long before that, an 8 million dollar settlement in the state of Minnesota.

I also visited the site you linked, which gives you the option of entering what you are gluing together, "this" to another, "that". I entered "fabric" (felt was not an option), to "metal". The website said the best glue to use was 3M's "77", which is their regular strength contact cement.

Looking into it further, "glue this to that" isn't even a product, it's a website. So, I'm not sure how you have used it exactly.

The original poster was looking for suggestions on a specific topic, from people who have had actual experience in that field. That's what this site is for.

So because it's made by 3M, nothing could go wrong? They aren't perfect, as their 9 million dollar settlement to the U.S. government for providing defective earplugs to the U.S. Military shows. And not long before that, an 8 million dollar settlement in the state of Minnesota.

I also visited the site you linked, which gives you the option of entering what you are gluing together, "this" to another, "that". I entered "fabric" (felt was not an option), to "metal". The website said the best glue to use was 3M's "77", which is their regular strength contact cement.

Looking into it further, "glue this to that" isn't even a product, it's a website. So, I'm not sure how you have used it exactly.

The original poster was looking for suggestions on a specific topic, from people who have had actual experience in that field. That's what this site is for.
"9 million dollar,"and "8 million dollar settlement!" Chump change!
c

The Glass Window Run on a 1965 SF used Felt glued to the Metal Channel vs. a rubber insert. As part of my restoration project, I need to replace the Felt but am not sure what type of glue to use. It should be tacky, hold the Felt in place, weather well and cure to a flexible adhesive. My thought is to use Gasket Adhesive. Any thoughts?
UPDATE: DO NOT use Gasket Adhesive! Did one of the channels which I now have to strip and redo; does not bound well. Going to the 3M Super Weatherstrip! Works for doors and trunks and it will work for this. I made it much to difficult!

I believe your talking about glass setting tape or sash channel strip. Used on hardtops and convertibles to hold the glass in the stainless channel and on the end to hold the stainless piece with the weather strip that meets the side glass. I purchased some from Steele Rubber, 1/32 inch.It fits so tight I don't believe any adhesive is needed...a thin strip of 3M yellow weather strip adhesive probably wouldn't hurt especially in the front channel that takes the glass up and down. Any old glass guys out there willing to share ???

IMG_20221005_174059325.jpg

Sorry your talking about the mohair strip that glues into the window channel...I used 3M yellow weather strip adhesive. Also purchased that on the same receipt above from Steele Rubber. When I removed what was left of the original mohair the adhesive Chrysler used sure looked like the 3M yellow to me.

I believe your talking about glass setting tape or sash channel strip. Used on hardtops and convertibles to hold the glass in the stainless channel and on the end to hold the stainless piece with the weather strip that meets the side glass. I purchased some from Steele Rubber, 1/32 inch.It fits so tight I don't believe any adhesive is needed...a thin strip of 3M yellow weather strip adhesive probably wouldn't hurt especially in the front channel that takes the glass up and down. Any old glass guys out there willing to share ???

View attachment 561685
Nope, talking about the Glass Run Channel but thanks,

The cat is out of the box now!

Contact cement was the first suggestion, and I agreed with that. This product is made by many other companies. I can't even count the number of five gallon pails I've been through. It's probably one of the most used adhesives, in many different capacities, and well known for it's effectiveness.

Back