GM Love

67-Fury

Reaction score
Due to the recent spike in gas, I figured the smart thing to do, would be to buy a really Large Vehicle. So I bought this about a Month ago, it is a 1996 GMC Suburban. Why did I buy it? Well it's huge. It's like a Town and country wagon on a Truck chassis. 4WD for winter, I can haul my car parts in it, my kids, their strollers, groceries, anything and everything pretty much. Parts are cheap and plentiful. I never realized how many 90s GM trucks were made and are still around! My god, I could count at least 4 or 5 just within 4 blocks of my house. But the real treat is, it has a new Long block and rebulit transmission in it. No, it's not just smoke being blown up my ***, I work with the guy I bought it from, hes a great guy and a Master mechanic. Not some hack. I seen receipts for all his claims. It is a 25 year old vehicle, it has some flaws and needs a few small things but I see that as all nickle and dime stuff compared to having to pay for a rebuilt drivetrain myself. i sure as hell can't afford new car payments and How can you beat a Brand new V8 in anything? I really like this thing. It has power. It has Torsion bars so there is some MA infulence I feel. (My friend said I'm grasping...prolly) It does everything I want it to. I feel safe in it. I enjoy that peace of mind.

20210624_183948.jpg

I am die hard Mopar, always will be..but I am at the point where, if I want or like something that isn't Mopar, I feel that should be ok too. I don't like really biased thinking. Even though I can be guilty of it.

You know, my whole life and even still, every Guy with a Dick is just feverish about Chevys. It's like a Cult almost. You tell them you like Mopars, they look at you like your a child diddler almost, and I just don't understand it. Am I missing something? Was I raised in a Mopar bubble? I think anything a GM can do, a mopar can do it just as well. If not better in most cases. And Chrysler made some of the coolest cars ever. They had some Duds but what manufacturer didn't?.

I don't usually tell others about what cars I have because I know if it don't have a 4 3/4 bolt pattern, they ain't gonna care. Maybe GM comes off as more Americana. Maybe they have simpler, more digestible designs for people to understand. (Thinking is hard you know!)

This is Just something thats been on my mind and I wanted to discuss with my fellow Pentastar lovers. This is a pretty well rounded group of individuals on here. I value what most have to say on here whether I agree with it or not.

I can't believe you have multiple kids. I've known you, what, 10 years? Wow! How many kids do you have now?

Nothing wrong with that for a family hauler... I went the other direction and bought a mini van.

Due to the recent spike in gas, I figured the smart thing to do, would be to buy a really Large Vehicle. So I bought this about a Month ago, it is a 1996 GMC Suburban. Why did I buy it? Well it's huge. It's like a Town and country wagon on a Truck chassis. 4WD for winter, I can haul my car parts in it, my kids, their strollers, groceries, anything and everything pretty much. Parts are cheap and plentiful. I never realized how many 90s GM trucks were made and are still around! My god, I could count at least 4 or 5 just within 4 blocks of my house. But the real treat is, it has a new Long block and rebulit transmission in it. No, it's not just smoke being blown up my ***, I work with the guy I bought it from, hes a great guy and a Master mechanic. Not some hack. I seen receipts for all his claims. It is a 25 year old vehicle, it has some flaws and needs a few small things but I see that as all nickle and dime stuff compared to having to pay for a rebuilt drivetrain myself. i sure as hell can't afford new car payments and How can you beat a Brand new V8 in anything? I really like this thing. It has power. It has Torsion bars so there is some MA infulence I feel. (My friend said I'm grasping...prolly) It does everything I want it to. I feel safe in it. I enjoy that peace of mind.

View attachment 468904

I am die hard Mopar, always will be..but I am at the point where, if I want or like something that isn't Mopar, I feel that should be ok too. I don't like really biased thinking. Even though I can be guilty of it.

You know, my whole life and even still, every Guy with a Dick is just feverish about Chevys. It's like a Cult almost. You tell them you like Mopars, they look at you like your a child diddler almost, and I just don't understand it. Am I missing something? Was I raised in a Mopar bubble? I think anything a GM can do, a mopar can do it just as well. If not better in most cases. And Chrysler made some of the coolest cars ever. They had some Duds but what manufacturer didn't?.

I don't usually tell others about what cars I have because I know if it don't have a 4 3/4 bolt pattern, they ain't gonna care. Maybe GM comes off as more Americana. Maybe they have simpler, more digestible designs for people to understand. (Thinking is hard you know!)

This is Just something thats been on my mind and I wanted to discuss with my fellow Pentastar lovers. This is a pretty well rounded group of individuals on here. I value what most have to say on here whether I agree with it or not.
Amen!

I don't like really biased thinking. Even though I can be guilty of it.
When I was a youngster, I was vehemently pro-Chrysler and anti- everything else. Since then, I have owned vehicles from all the big three. Each car had its issues, but they usually did what they were supposed to do. To say that one vehicle or one manufacturer is superior to the others is an exercise in subjectivity.

I see myself buying a used off brand van in the near future since the front frame of my ‘01 Dodge just gave way on 3 sides and Dodge was pretty absent in the van market in the years and budget I’ll be searching in.

So I bought this about a Month ago, it is a 1996 GMC Suburban.

I've always liked the Chevy trucks from that generation. Mechanically they're solid, but the damn instrument panels always act up.

View attachment 468904

buy what you like brother ... i have, and always will-- plus, i worked at GM 25 years. I also dig the old C/K trucks, boxy, reliable, parts galore cuz we built milions of them :)

Red, 1989 454 and Green 1995 6.5 Diesel

AACC.png
AADD.png
AAZZ.png
AABB.png

I can't believe you have multiple kids. I've known you, what, 10 years? Wow! How many kids do you have now?

Nothing wrong with that for a family hauler... I went the other direction and bought a mini van.
I wanted a mini van. I still might get one but I dont know, something about this just called to me. and I just had my 2nd. Time to put the horse in the barn for now, I plan on more but not anytime soon. I had a baby Girl. I have a million dollar family now. If I dropped tomorrow, I would be content. I dont have much but I am super grateful and blessed for what I do have in my life. Make sure you show your wife, Polara Dave
20210616_183057.jpg

20210620_121904.jpg

I am so damn new to chebbies. I was like, why won't the headlights turn off??? I didn't know about Daytime running lights lol.

Nice
I had a 95 3/4 ton turbo diesel 2WD GMC Suburban that I ordered. Ran great after I installed 97 heads. I sold it after getting tired of dog fur as we took our 2 German Shepherds with us most places.
I liked it, but the Delhi radio was absolute junk.
Replaced it with an 03 F-250 2WD 6.0 crew cab, which I had zero problems.

Nice
I had a 95 3/4 ton turbo diesel 2WD GMC Suburban that I ordered. Ran great after I installed 97 heads.
Still learning GM but I guess in 96 they went to the Vortec engines. Improved design. One of the Chevy guys I know said he had a early 90s 454 in a truck, it was a dog but he had a Vortec 454, it had lots of power.

aacc-png.png

The original 454 in this truck, though it had only 80K miles when I bought it, WAS kinda pokey for so much cubic inch.

She sports the 2012 version of this one -- used my GM Service Parts discount and took a couple grand off one back in that time frame (specs may be different now, but probably not that much). did a 4L80 in it too (already had a 4.10 in it, but went posi with it) .

Source: ZZ502

48A  auto car1A.png

She can move stuff around purdy good now -- wish suspension was better though (she wallows around a bit in turns)

:thumbsup:

Suburban = Taxis Cadillac! Ever been anywhere in that state you know why I call it that. You can't go anywhere between Orange to El Paso or Brownsville to the Red River and drive 5 miles without seeing one, Jer

I’ve always like all cool cars and trucks but primarily only spent my money on Mopar, especially my older rides, but as I’ve said before would love a Torino or Galaxy if I was wealthy and had room. I did have a 89 Mustang GT with 5 speed, very fun car!

I did have a couple of 90s Impalas with the V6s and they served us well. Had a 1990 Chevy 20 conversion van for some years too, was a great riding van that I got a pretty good deal on. Replaced with the Durango.

I also bought a minivan, a 2013 Town and Country Limited and we love that van. It can haul a lot of stuff and very comfortable to get in a drive/ride in.

I unexpectedly love my suburban. When long hauling, the back is big enough to fully stretch out and sleep. 3/4 ton with tow package pulls just about anything.

20210403_161652.jpg

20210502_203426.jpg

20210410_121329.jpg

20200208_150001.jpg

20180128_144311.jpg

026 (2).jpg

I have a thing against those daytime running lights.:mad:

I have a thing against those daytime running lights.:mad:
I know. There were a few mornings where I went to work, that I didn't even realize i needed to turn my tail lights on because i assumed they were on since the headlights were on! That and the side terminal batterys leave me a bit puzzled. But according to everyone, GMs are perfect pieces of machines, so how dare I make a criticism.

Last edited:
I know. There were a few mornings where I went to work, that I didn't even realize i needed to turn my tail lights on because i assumed they were on since the headlights were on! That and the side terminal batterys leave me a but puzzled. But according to everyone, GMs are perfect pieces of machines, so how dare I make a criticism.

:rofl:

Back