GM Love

I know. There were a few mornings where I went to work, that I didn't even realize i needed to turn my tail lights on because i assumed they were on since the headlights were on! That and the side terminal batterys leave me a bit puzzled. But according to everyone, GMs are perfect pieces of machines, so how dare I make a criticism.

Apply parking brake one "click" . It won't do anything mechanically, but it should turn off the DRLs.

I've also had several minivans. They are nice. But Chrysler simply doesn't have anything in this market space, so it's understandable. At least you didn't buy some laughable dog that gets updated once every 15 years like a Sequoia.

And if the right Mark VII came my way...

I was part of the corporate group in the early 1990's when DRL and "CHMSL" (it'll come to ya :)) came in for bean counter approval to go across the fleet.

The safety data (from our own work, NHSTA, other independent testing) carried the day -- by a persuasive margin. They were gonna save lives.

Me? they had my vote when design staff showed drawings/models with them in all the cool places, especially CHMSL's (in spoilers, integrated more into the body flow, etc. vs. how they looked at launch back then as clunky add-ons) we see them now.

Consumer reaction initially was mixed .. but we were never going back cuz of the safety data. The General did good on that front.

I just never could get a break with a chevy. I tried to like them..... Nice style. I bought two new ones in the 80's, a 84 GMC hi-cube van that I drove all over the US for business reasons. And a 86 Silverado 4X4 pickup. The 84 was a diesel and was a dog. Started making strange noises at about 80+K miles. Traded for the 86 which was a 350 and used a quart of oil every 1K miles from day one. No more Chevys since.
No new vehicles in my future..... Nothing with touch screen either.

Hey, buy what you like. Those are GREAT trucks! I'm Chrysler or nothing for cars but ever since I was about 20, I've always had trucks as my daily drivers and they've all been Chevy or GMC. It even rubbed off on the wife. She has had three GMCs since we first met. We currently have an 06 Duramax, 14 Sierra 1500, and a 16 Sierra 2500. They've never left us stranded and all three tow big heavy **** regularly.

headlights were on... side terminal batterys
I've had only one GM new enough to have DRLs (2003 Sunfire). The DRLs were only about as bright as the parking lights; so I wouldn't drive around with just them in the dark as they'd be too dim.
My '77 C-body has a bolt (since removed) for the washer bottle that's less than an inch from the positive battery terminal. This leads me to believe that jump-starting with side posts is a PIA.
20210627_180730.jpg

Apply parking brake one "click" . It won't do anything mechanically, but it should turn off the DRLs.
Wow, I tried that and it worked. Carmine, you are a sage. Giving out great pieces of knowledge at random times. Thank you.

Wow, I tried that and it worked. Carmine, you are a sage. Giving out great pieces of knowledge at random times. Thank you.

Thanks, I'm glad it worked for you. I just remember how many people hated them when it was a new gimmick to get people into GM's otherwise mediocre cars of the era. In the era of "always lit" computer dashes and areas of good street lighting, they're a real menace without automatic headlights. Whenever I see a car on the expressway without lights on, 99% of the time it's a GM with the dash fully illuminated and a driver blissfully unaware that no one can see them ahead.

Due to the recent spike in gas, I figured the smart thing to do, would be to buy a really Large Vehicle. So I bought this about a Month ago, it is a 1996 GMC Suburban. Why did I buy it? Well it's huge. It's like a Town and country wagon on a Truck chassis. 4WD for winter, I can haul my car parts in it, my kids, their strollers, groceries, anything and everything pretty much. Parts are cheap and plentiful. I never realized how many 90s GM trucks were made and are still around! My god, I could count at least 4 or 5 just within 4 blocks of my house. But the real treat is, it has a new Long block and rebulit transmission in it. No, it's not just smoke being blown up my ***, I work with the guy I bought it from, hes a great guy and a Master mechanic. Not some hack. I seen receipts for all his claims. It is a 25 year old vehicle, it has some flaws and needs a few small things but I see that as all nickle and dime stuff compared to having to pay for a rebuilt drivetrain myself. i sure as hell can't afford new car payments and How can you beat a Brand new V8 in anything? I really like this thing. It has power. It has Torsion bars so there is some MA infulence I feel. (My friend said I'm grasping...prolly) It does everything I want it to. I feel safe in it. I enjoy that peace of mind.

View attachment 468904

I am die hard Mopar, always will be..but I am at the point where, if I want or like something that isn't Mopar, I feel that should be ok too. I don't like really biased thinking. Even though I can be guilty of it.

You know, my whole life and even still, every Guy with a Dick is just feverish about Chevys. It's like a Cult almost. You tell them you like Mopars, they look at you like your a child diddler almost, and I just don't understand it. Am I missing something? Was I raised in a Mopar bubble? I think anything a GM can do, a mopar can do it just as well. If not better in most cases. And Chrysler made some of the coolest cars ever. They had some Duds but what manufacturer didn't?.

I don't usually tell others about what cars I have because I know if it don't have a 4 3/4 bolt pattern, they ain't gonna care. Maybe GM comes off as more Americana. Maybe they have simpler, more digestible designs for people to understand. (Thinking is hard you know!)

This is Just something thats been on my mind and I wanted to discuss with my fellow Pentastar lovers. This is a pretty well rounded group of individuals on here. I value what most have to say on here whether I agree with it or not.
Good choice. They aren't the best truck, they are the cheapest truck and equally useful to most. My C1500 99 'burb has been mostly faithful, cheap too repair most wear items and can haul 4x8 sheets of plywood/drywall without getting it wet. Loading and unloading with side door access makes it easier than a P/U. My back chairs are never up.
@cantflip
Look Familiar?
I think his paint is better...
I can't believe you have multiple kids. I've known you, what, 10 years? Wow! How many kids do you have now?

Nothing wrong with that for a family hauler... I went the other direction and bought a mini van.
Mini vans are good... but Suburbans crash better... so far mine has killed a lexus crossover (management's doing)... $40 junker bumper to fix that, a Dodge mini van driven by a young lady who felt certain she had the right to merge however she chose to... pressure washed white paint off the body, an aluminum F150 was opened up using my driver's door mirror as the can opener when he thought passing on the shoulder would be cool... $10 junkyard mirror, and recently helped some brake checking moron reach 80MPH... at the cost of a small dent in the hood.
I know. There were a few mornings where I went to work, that I didn't even realize i needed to turn my tail lights on because i assumed they were on since the headlights were on! That and the side terminal batterys leave me a bit puzzled. But according to everyone, GMs are perfect pieces of machines, so how dare I make a criticism.
Advice... try to avoid using the airbags... they're old now... think Takata.

That silly double side terminal on the positive of the battery sucks... if it loosens, all electrical dies, wiggle the cable to get going again and buy the correct bolt/spacer kit... easy to find in the "HELP" aisle of most parts stores, even if the void behind the counter thinks you're nuts. I buy group 34/78 dual terminal batteries so they work in all of my GM/Mopar vehicles. Side terminals can be stripped trying to get/keep that stupid stacked positive tight.

I've grown to like the DRL's... only because it's one more thing making other drivers have to see me... not sure how effective they are given my Orlando driving experiences.

I can haul 7 people plus stuff in the mini van. I can get 27 MPGs doing it while doing 70-75 MPH. If it crashes, I will get another one. I'm pretty certain those same 4 x 8 sheets will fin in the van but I haven't tried. I have the truck for that.

Last time we hauled 4x8 sheets in a T&C minivan was to replace the deck on the pontoon boat. They just fit if laid on top of the rear seats and the front seat slid as far forward as they could go. Fortunately it was a short drive to the dump. Those guys designing that boat were thinking. Five sheets of plywood for a 8x20 deck. No cutting required!

I disagree on the DRLs. First they had em on moorsickles. That made the bikes stand out from the cars. Now all the cars look alike so other drivers tend to be complacent. And the bikes blend in.
To top it off, how many times do you hear of people saying they couldn't see the big red truck with flashing lights all over it along with real sirens and air horns blaring? If you cant see that how ya gonna see a car with two headlights running at 50%?

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe, ex-Michigan State Police vehicle. Still making people move over on the roadways -- for no reason at all. Fun rig.

ZZAA.jpg

I'd like set too... maybe not... I would be more likely to start moving the idiots out of they way if I had them.

:steering:

lotta people kinda like the truck (1/2 ton body on 3/4 ton frame, Suburban-sized brakes, front/rear sway bars the diameter of small trees in the Z56 package, Bilsteins from the factory, 5.7L with some oomph, 4L60E, 3.08:1 posi, pretty spry for a ute), but they REALLY want that push bar.

actually have used it constructively .. lady stalled in front of me at rush hour so I gave her a shove out of an intersection and onto a side road, push/drag members of my fleet that wont start around my building, etc.

somebody out there makes these push bars (the style for trucks with front bumpers vs. fascias) .. i will look for the reference I had once and post here if I can find it.

Back