Goldie has been sucking air all summer.

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Goldie hasn't been running great all summer, but going out to dinner last night, it got much worse. It definitely seemed like a fuel delivery issue. I haven't changed the fuel filter for several years and I still have my original refurbished tank so that seemed like a logical place to start.

I installed an electric fuel pump years ago, near the tank and placed the filter back there too. When I pulled the fuel filter down, it immediately started leaking. You could spin the clamps on the hose. I am feeling very lucky at this point.

New filter and correct size clamps she is running great again. I actually forgot how nice she runs, everthing better from: idle, throttle response and the 4 barrel kicking in. Another issue was an occasional glitchy power cut out while cruising, which I thought might be electrical, it ended up being a fuel delivery issue too.

Goldie hasn't been running great all summer, but going out to dinner last night, it got much worse. It definitely seemed like a fuel delivery issue. I haven't changed the fuel filter for several years and I still have my original refurbished tank so that seemed like a logical place to start.

I installed an electric fuel pump years ago, near the tank and placed the filter back there too. When I pulled the fuel filter down, it immediately started leaking. You could spin the clamps on the hose. I am feeling very lucky at this point.

New filter and correct size clamps she is running great again. I actually forgot how nice she runs, everthing better from: idle, throttle response and the 4 barrel kicking in. Another issue was an occasional glitchy power cut out while cruising, which I thought might be electrical, it ended up being a fuel delivery issue too.
Goldie may have seen a sign with the new prices!

I was chasing a miss last year, which hid the fuel issue I had, that I found this year. Good thing it's usually an easy fix. I too had loose clamps, which pointed themselves out on the highway! I was able to limp to the store and get new hose and clamps. Back on the road in fifteen minutes.

Last edited:
I was chasing a miss last year, which hid the fuel issue I had, that I found this year. Good thing it's usually an easy fix. I too had loose clamps, which pointed themselves out on the highway! I was able to limp to the store and get new hose and clamps. Back in the road in fifteen minutes.
Yes that is one of the easy and cheaper fixes. The amazing thing to me I never smelled raw fuel.

I didn't sleep very well that Saturday night until I looked at it Sunday morning. I am going to be in a parade next Saturday morning and I knew I needed to get it sorted out on Sunday. I didn't want to try to fix it any evening during the week.

I never smelled raw fuel.
I stopped for gas after 90 miles, no smell then..after about 40-50 more miles, I started noticing a gas smell. Nothing I was going to do, or could have done until the hose slipped, and one clamp decided it had had enough and left our presence. I had to stop twice more to rig it up enough to make the short trip. It was nice that someone stopped and asked if I needed help, you just don't see that much these days.

am going to be in a parade next Saturday morning and I knew I needed to get it sorted out on Sunday
Definitely don't want a gas leaker in a parade!

Back