Gonna do some weather stripping soon...Tips, ideas??

OneEyed

Reaction score
Once it decides to stay warm enough outside, I'm going to attempt to re-do the weather stripping on the front two doors and the trunk seal. I have the stripping already but neither of them include any adhesive. Can someone point me to what I need? Also, any tips or other ideas to help me out would be great. Thanks!!

I used the yellow snot adhesive from 3M to do my trunk weatherstrip last year.

71Al5WK+OyL._SX522_.jpg

worked great. just follow directions. pretty straightforward.

couple tips...do not cut the ends until the very end. and slice the ends at 45* angles, glue and overlap them.

3M also makes a black gasket adhesive that works well. I don't have the # for it though. My one suggestion would be not to stretch it while installing it. Maybe use masking tape to tape it into place as a dry fit. Years ago I watch a guy put the gasket around a trunk and he actually tried to compress it (length wise) so that he was putting more around the trunk opening. That way when it shrunk it wouldn't open up a gap.

I got the 3M weatherstripping adhesive to do the doors and trunk on mine. They say to apply it to the door and the WS and let it tack up.

I like the idea of taping it to not allow it to stretch and cut the ends at a 45. I was wondering about both of these issues

Does the yellow snot dry clear? Or do I need to be careful how I apply it?

So the weather stripping in my trunk looks like some random stuff from Menards. Can someone post a pic that shows which direction to install the new stuff correctly?

So I got all my weatherstripping done. The only question now is- what is the difference between the yellow and black snot? They both looked identical but I chose to go with the yellow anyways, in hindsight however, since I have a black car the black snot seems like a better choice cuz I do have some spots where the yellow is visible. Doors turned out good, just got a little runny on the trunk lid. Maybe a can with a brush stuck to the underside of the lid would be a better package here...

Black and yellow are the same... yellow has been around for a bit longer, black doesn't look so bad when it bleeds around a seem.

Back