Good day, new member here... 1st time posting a pic, hope it works...

62newportnewbie

Reaction score
WIN_20220215_07_36_32_Pro.jpg

Not sure if i have this in the correct forum... The car is a 62 Chrysler Newport... Not running yet, the interior is out, but seems to be a pretty nice car... I am new to Chrysler's, mostly had chevies growing up... But i always admired the 50's - 60's Mopars, so i feel very lucky to have found this car...

Anyway, thought i would say hello, not good at forums and pics, but wanted to post that pic to show i was real ha..

10 below up here, so car not leaving garage for a while yet...

Thank you - One with the hood down, and one with it's garage mate a 65 Buick Wildcat... will i get banned for posting the buick pic? You guys should cut me a little slack since i finally wised up enough to buy a Chrysler right...

WIN_20220215_08_48_24_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220215_08_46_44_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome! Since you are a Chevy man, one word of caution from a guy who owned a '62 New Yorker: don't be shocked by the cost and availability of parts! While Chevy built over 700,000 Impalas in '62 alone, Chrysler's ENTIRE 1962 production was less than 130,000. That's Newport, 300, 300H, and New Yorkers combined. The u-joints alone are over 400 bucks! These are beautiful cars, but the sticker shock can be harsh. Be warned, adn be patient if you are looking for things. At least today the brake drums are being remanned. When I had mine that wasn't the case and I paid $350 for two NOS front drums.

So, good luck, have fun, and be blessed!

And now, tell us about your Newpie! 361, 383, 413?? AC? Tell us.

Thank you all for the feedback... Let's see...

The car was a Craigslist find somewhat locally ( WI ) from a very nice family... I do not know the whole story, but from some stuff found in the car, it seems to have been in Brush Colorado (a nice dry area) from its birth in 1962 until sometime in the 1990's at least... there are some oil change stickers from 1962 to the 90's from the same owner.. ( For real, looks like one owner with her name in the owners manual until the 90's at least )

Not sure what happened to it after that, but the underside is very clean and dry... Really no rot that i can find.. and seems to be very little body filler.. ( magnet sticks everywhere )

The car seems to have about 118k on it ( oil change sticker from 1990 shows 67k ).. looks like the original motor so i am guessing a 361 with a 2 barrel and has the pushbutton tranny.. No air, manual windows, dual mirrors..

Being i am from a rust belt state, i jumped on it when i saw how clean it was... but am taking a gamble, as i could not run and drive it, as it was in non- running condition... I had it towed on a flatbed to my house, and the driver was able to unload it in my garage with some pushing and shoving from both of us... it seems to be mostly there... i have a no-fuel issue i am working on today... very much hope it will run and shift without a lot more $$$ going into it... but like i said, its kind of a gamble...

It has a really nice paint job, with a weird color.. not sure if original color? ( Not original paint, too fresh for that, but a nice repaint) But all fenderwells trunk etc all match..

I actually did not like the color when i first saw it in a dark garage... i thought it was "yellow", but when it gets out into the light it seems to change to this weird "green" color and now i love the color ha.

The previous owner ( before me ) looks to have done a lot of nice work to the car, the front end has a bunch of new parts, new dash pad, carpet, motor looks original... not even cleaned up really... but he made good progress on the restoration and he kept the car in great condition ( dry storage at least last 10 years it seems )

Thank you all for feedback, i am going to try and get it running in the next day or 2... will post if the beast will come alive...

So is a 62 a forward look, or a slab, or an orphan? Or is that discussion a can of worms here ha

Last edited:
From my point of view, most Forward Look authorities include Forward Look cars beginning with the 1955 models and ending with the 1961 models. Due to health problems, Exner lost control of the styling department at the time the 1962 models were being designed and the styling department was in a bit of disarray. When Exner did see the resulting 1962 models, he called them "plucked chickens".

Nonetheless, I still love my 300H and it is overall an excellent handling and driving vehicle. The interior is also sumptuous and very comfortable and it feels smaller and lighter than its former Forward Look versions. There is much to love about the 1962 models including the styling. After Exner, GM led the way in styling in the 1960s I believe but also were given a kick in the butt from Fords Lincoln Continentals starting with their 1961 models. Those 1961 Lincolns, however, were designed by Elwood Engle's team and he later became Chrysler's chief stylist for the slab side and fuselage models. His influence at Chrysler began with the release of the 1964 models which still look great to me (I just preferred his fuselage models beginning with the 1969 models). So the models for both 1962 and 1963 were kind of orphans. But Chrysler's engineering was still prominent in those years undeniably.

To help you feel welcome and at home, here are some views of my 300H. I love it even if it is a plucked chicken. I restored it fully in 1978 and it still looks just the same now since it has been a pampered car ever since.

Best wishes in the pursuit of your dreams regarding your new acquisition - it seems like it is a solid foundation for a makeover and to be loved by its new owner

Welcome!

300H #1 (1) (1) (1) (1) (1) (1).jpg

300H #2 (1) (1) (1) (1) (1) (1) (1).jpg

300H #3 (1) (1) (1) (1).jpg

Last edited:
From my point of view, most Forward Look authorities include Forward Look cars beginning with the 1955 models and ending with the 1961 models. Due to health problems, Exner lost control of the styling department at the time the 1962 models were being designed and the styling department was in a bit of disarray. When Exner did see the resulting 1962 models, he called them "plucked chickens".

Nonetheless, I still love my 300H and it is overall an excellent handling and driving vehicle. The interior is also sumptuous and very comfortable and it feels smaller and lighter than its former Forward Look versions. There is much to love about the 1962 models including the styling. After Exner, GM led the way in styling in the 1960s I believe but also were given a kick in the butt from Fords Lincoln Continentals starting with their 1961 models. Those 1961 Lincolns, however, were designed by Elwood Engle's team and he later became Chrysler's chief stylist for the slab side and fuselage models. His influence at Chrysler began with the release of the 1964 models which still look great to me (I just preferred his fuselage models beginning with the 1969 models). So the models for both 1962 and 1963 were kind of orphans. But Chrysler's engineering was still prominent in those years undeniably.

To help you feel welcome and at home, here are some views of my 300H. I love it even if it is a plucked chicken.

Best wishes in the pursuit of your dreams regarding your new acquisition - it seems like is is a solid foundation for a makeover and to be loved by its new owner

Welcome!

View attachment 515363

View attachment 515364

View attachment 515365
What a spectacular car... I really liked the 62 when i first saw it... To me it seems like a "bridge" between the 50's cars and the 60's cars in a way.. I can see both decades of car styling when looking at the 62 imho

Excuse me as I take a moment to cleanse the thread of foreign matter. A good dosing of Holy Water should do it.

Bu Bu Bu…… nope can’t say it!
Nice 4-dr Chrysler, reminds me of a ‘57 4-dr 0lds 88 that I got from a friend of my Dad’s for only $500. Running 371, 4-speed automatic, power windows, steering and brakes.

C18A0344-68FD-4DE5-B2A7-74A3ACD689E3.png

6C36D18F-D74F-4662-ADFE-48D398DCB0F1.png

AE42B8D5-BB60-4DDD-941C-66703590B559.png

hahaha - that should fix it, a little Holy water never hurt.. It was a close squeeze fitting both of those beasts in the garage... only one 9 foot door so one car sits sideways...

I can't open the driver's door on the Newport... I wanted to get a pic of the fender tag, but not yet, the laptop can not get a good pic... will have to wait till car runs and hopefully moves, not sure about the brakes, engine, tranny yet...

Last edited:
Welcome! Neat car. It might be "just a Newport", BUT it is still a CHRYSLER and all that that means. The '65-'66 full-size Buicks are some of the Buicks I like the most, to look at. As an aside, Buick marketing research (in the 1990s) placed Chrysler and Buick side-by-side as to customer demographics, fwiw.

ONE advantage to having that Buick nearby is that you can compare how Chrysler and Buick did the same things. Where GM saved money and Chrysler has more details, for example. In comparing my '67 Newport to my '68 LeSabre conv, the sheet metal shapes /corners on the Buick are much softer (and less expensive to do) than on the Chrysler. The center a/c outlet in the dash of the Buick only goes up and down, not side to side, too! So . . . you can go exploring to compare things between the two manufacturers.

Keep us posted on your progress.

CBODY67

Well, as far as i can tell, my no fuel issue should be the fuel pump. I can suck gas manually from the tank. They have one in town... Going to get it, and putting some heat lamps and heaters under the car... still 0 in my garage.. really do not want to fire it up when the block is this cold, so will put some blankets up top and let the block warm up some..

Also a poor pic of the floor pan.. P.O. ( previous owner ) already put down sound deadener but all the pans seem solid as nails.

And the coolest dash ever ha

Sorry for the poor pic quality, its hard to hold this laptop backwards and keep my ugly mug out of the photo

WIN_20220216_08_06_58_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220216_07_53_02_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220216_07_52_48_Pro.jpg

Well, i got the pump on... squirted a little gas down the carb and it fired up... took a couple times, and some rough running for a bit, but then it smoothed out and ran ok...

i am not too happy as there is a light "knock" or tapping noise coming from the front of the motor it seems ugh

Awesome car(s)!

If you post the fender tag under the hood there are numerous knowledgeable individuals on here that can interpret it for you.

So the car starts and idles nice... all the pulleys are tight ( water pump etc ) there is a light tapping noise at idle... the gauge shows good oil pressure.. oil clean etc... water circulates , temp good.. no leaks...

I took a 4 foot hollow plastic handle from a paint roller ( like a mop handle ) and put it to my ear touching various parts of the engine while idling... i have heard of this but have never needed to try it before ( like a stethescope i guess)

anyway, it is AMAZING how this amplifies the sound... touch the alternator you can hear bearings whir, touch the valve covers you can hear the parts, touch the oil pan also can hear machinery churning...

When i touch the fuel pump the tapping is very distinct and amplified, and can hear it plain as day... ( beware of whirring fan if you ever try this! )

I just put on this pump, and it pumps fuel fine, old pump looked new, but did not pump fuel... tapping noise is very distinct thru handle to ear...

so fuel pump rod? or cam but motor seems to run good?

Back