Got the 300's rear seat back from the upholster

WissaMan

Reaction score
Northeast PA, 10 minutes from Knoebels Grove
Still waiting on the front ones to be finished (very soon I hope) but I was so excited to get these back after 3 months I had to post a pic. Came out pretty nice I think. Oh, and the center console is done too. The rubbery covers that go on the center console pivot frame were pretty ugly so I painted them first with SEM Sailcloth White and then Herb's Pearl White over top and they match the upholstery almost perfectly.

upload_2020-5-28_12-41-52.png

Yep, the original foam was shot. The upholsterer supplied the foam, so I don't know precisely what he used. We provided the seat covers (from Legendary)
Damn!!

I can get all the material from Legendary, I know, but my foam is bad to non-existent in some places.

What did you guy charge you to custom make the foam? (I am assuming that's what he did.)

Damn!!

I can get all the material from Legendary, I know, but my foam is bad to non-existent in some places.

What did you guy charge you to custom make the foam? (I am assuming that's what he did.)
The rear seat foam isnt custom molded so its simply use 1in think I think it is by the yard.

Damn!!

Dunno, didn't get the bill yet. But this guy is pretty well known in the local area for doing this kind of work so I'm going on faith that it's going to be a fair price
:steering:

Seat foam is measured in density. Find a local supplier of the foam, (upholsters have to get it somewhere), and go for a visit. Rule of thumb when buying foam is that no matter the thickness it should be firm enough that your knee doesn't contact the surface the foam is on when you kneel on it.
You can even combine different density foam. A thin, very firm base and a less dense and softer top layer glued together.

[QUOTE="WissaMan,I painted them first with SEM Sailcloth White and then Herb's Pearl White over top and they match the upholstery almost perfectly.
][/QUOTE]

Thanks for this. My Polara has the same pearl white interior and the side panels look a little drab against the new upholstery. I was thinking about doing what you just said. Thanks for the brand names.

What shop did you use ?

You'll probably think this sounds bizarre, but I'm not sure of the name. It's a one-man shop in Nescopeck PA. I can find out tomorrow though and let you know. I found out about him from talking to other guys at local meets. Says he's been doing upholstery for decades and I believe him. He's a busy guy though and I don't think automotive work is his bread and butter. First talked to him last fall, he finally called to have the our seats dropped off in February, and he didn't get to them until this month. I'm not complaining though, I'm just grateful there's a guy like him in my backyard!

Seats came out great! Congratulations. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I know the feeling, as I just got my seats back for my Esprit today. I'll post some pics in my Caterham/other projects thread.
Don't want to derail another thread.:rofl:

One thing I've been thinking about is -- how am I going to keep the fresh, new, pearl white interior clean (aside from scrubbing my hands like a surgeon each and every time I get in the car) I know it's going to get dirty super easy. Is there any kind of treatment I can put on it that will make it so dirt and grime wipe off easier? Kind of like Scotchguard for vinyl?

One thing I've been thinking about is -- how am I going to keep the fresh, new, pearl white interior clean (aside from scrubbing my hands like a surgeon each and every time I get in the car) I know it's going to get dirty super easy. Is there any kind of treatment I can put on it that will make it so dirt and grime wipe off easier? Kind of like Scotchguard for vinyl?

This stuff works good.
Scotchgard 3M Professional Series Leather and Vinyl Protector 38601 for sale online | eBay

I have lived with a white interior for some time. It takes a little more effort to keep it looking good. All interiors get dirty or soiled, especially in a convertible, white just shows it more.
But to me its worth the extra effort to have the effect of a white interior. Upscale brightly colored cars are my vanity. Red interior is a close second but they don't fair well with UV.

Back