Great running 65----413 but smokes

emmd61

Reaction score
Hi. I bought a parts car 1965 NYer sedan with nice running 413. It smokes a bit. What sort of rebuild would it need? It runs smooth, does not leak, has good power but smokes pretty intensely. I got if for a 65 NYer wagon that previous owner put a 383 in it. Thanks---Arthur

Do you know what a compression test is? Do that 1st and report back. Good Luck

Yes, follow what Stubs 300 said. If the compression is good, (meaning the cylinders are sealing), then I would say replace the valve seals. The ones Chrysler used in the 1960's were not that great, and you are looking at 45 years later. Probably hardened, and broken.

A. What's the oil look like?
B. Check the crankcase vent
C. Compression test - per Stubs
And as Traintech stated, could be valve seals and or guides
Good luck and keep us posted!!

It smokes a bit. It runs smooth, does not leak, has good power but smokes pretty intensely. I got if for a 65 NYer wagon that previous owner put a 383 in it. Thanks---Arthur

Does it smoke on start up? By the above I assume that it only does it while crusing or what?
One indicates you need valve seals, the other says you need a ring job. Good Luck

If you are going to rebuild it, regardless of what you find, I say good for you, but I also say good luck. Finding pistons for those 413s, great motors that they are, can be very expensive.

If you are going to rebuild it, regardless of what you find, I say good for you, but I also say good luck. Finding pistons for those 413s that aren't for a truck application, great motors that they are, can be very expensive.

Are you parting out any trim or parts? Working on my own 65 and would love to go shopping :D
I have not taken any parts off this car so they are all available. If I can easily remove it I happy to sell it. Let me know what you want. I am out of town now but will be at my shop on tuesday and can look at quality. Drive train, bucket seats, cruise control is what I am going to need so rest available. Thanks and stay well.

I have not taken any parts off this car so they are all available. If I can easily remove it I happy to sell it. Let me know what you want. I am out of town now but will be at my shop on tuesday and can look at quality. Drive train, bucket seats, cruise control is what I am going to need so rest available. Thanks and stay well.

How feasible is it to move the Auto-pilot over? I have the chance to get one from a car from a salvage yard, has the original knob in the dash and the complete unit under the hood

Back