Green axle bearing question

Pappy

Reaction score
After our maiden voyage of our 67 Fury III with rebuilt 383/727/PST front suspension, wilwood discs and new steering box we sat on the deck while we hoisted a "barley pop" and congratulated ourselves.
UNTIL we saw 90 wt diff fluid running out from the drivers rear wheel.
Half inch play in that axle.
Went with the green bearings from Doctor Diff.
just got axles back from the machine. Does this look correct? Appears the bearing sits a bit farther away from the axle flange. Shop says thats as far as they could press it.
Is this due to basic design difference?

Thanks in advance.
hope yall have a great holiday!

green2.jpg

green1.jpg

The green bearing is a smaller and lighter bearing than the tapered rollers the car came with. You shop did a pretty dirty install, a good shop would have cleaned up the oil residue on the outer part of the axle. Can not tell if the bearings are properly seated from the photo.

Dave

I've never used the green bearings, but the bearing in the first picture doesn't look even close to being seated, from 7/8-3/8, compared to stock bearings. I'm surprised it was even able to be installed! The one in the bottom picture looks good, a little dirty as mentioned. The last set I did, one went on nice and easy, the other one did not. No shop involved, Red Greened those one's.

Are you saying the green bearings leaked? The inward shoulder of the shaft butts up against the outward seal on the bearings. It’s cupped a little. If they weren’t on all the way, then your drum would stick out and that would be obvious.

Are you saying the green bearings leaked? The inward shoulder of the shaft butts up against the outward seal on the bearings. It’s cupped a little. If they weren’t on all the way, then your drum would stick out and that would be obvious.
Havent installed these axles with green bearings yet. The original roller bearings were shot and they leaked..
Yes, the shop did not clean the axles.

If you don't change the inner seals you new stuff will leak also. There is no rear end lube on the bearing just plain old wheel bearing grease. You changed bearings because of a leaky inner seals that will still leak.
Good luck

Havent installed these axles with green bearings yet. The original roller bearings were shot and they leaked..
Yes, the shop did not clean the axles.

OK I understand now. Yes they look like the bearings are installed correctly. You have rear drums correct not Wilwood disk? Is the diff a sure grip? If it is open, then your ready to go. Go ahead and install new inner seals, even though they are not needed because greens are sealed. It adds another layer of just in case. Craig

Thx all.
Not a suregrip.
Rear drums, 11x2
Will install new inner seals after i clean up all parts.
Not a hotrod, will be daily driver for wifey.

U cannot use those axles like that. The bearings need to go on all the way. First pic is not even close. Bearing needs to go against the shoulder on the axle. The second pic needs to come apart for sure as the seal and plate is between the flange and the bearing. Look at ur axle splines, I bet they weren’t in more than half an inch. Get a new bearing for the axle in the second pic. Don’t re use it. Have the shop do it right. I used a 10 ton press and it barely presses some bearings on.Only other thing is the bearing fits too loose and h I s sliding back off. Kim

Rear wheel bearing can be hard to press on some times. Here is a little trick that can help. Cool the axles in dry ice for about an hour, then when ready to install the bearings heat them in an oven at about 250deg. for about 15 minutes. This will make them much easier to install.

Back