Hagerty: 1959 Imperial Speedster article

Woodward 2019.
70BF53B7-3013-453E-A703-F65F378C549F.jpeg

This car looks great at any angle.

Both versions of that car (It's already been redone once) are hideous. What's even sillier is the builder tries to promote it as a "what if" [Chrysler had decided to build a luxury sports car]. Most insulting (to my ears) is the idea such talented stylists would do no better than to build a 5/8ths version of their existing car.

If you really wanted to go down that road, I wold have used that metalwork effort to build something that looked more like this, (Chrysler Falcon showcar) and toss in a few late 50s Imperial design cues.

Chrysler.1955.falcon.08.jpg

I know Murray, great guy and the work he and his friends did on that roadster is second to none, I think it’s pretty beautiful. Even better is that it started out as a 4 door sedan.

I know Murray, great guy and the work he and his friends did on that roadster is second to none, I think it’s pretty beautiful. Even better is that it started out as a 4 door sedan.
It’s ok. I am sure that the work is excellent. However, it doesn’t scratch the itch as the original proportions do for me.

I meant no disservice to him personally, but the car ends up looking like you should be wearing a fez hat when driving it.

It doesn't look too bad from a distance, but the Upper Windshield looks like it was just cut off, it needs a chrome or stainless frame to finish off the top of the wind shield. Is there a Roof or Folding top ? I saw only Topless pics.

The roof just throws everything off.
I imagine the Imp would look similar with a hardtop.
The top adds height, hence the stubbier look.
Yup. If it had just anything more between the door & wheelhousing. I don’t know, this sure has some beautiful workmanship but it just looks too short to me. Remember move rear axle forward = funnycar. Sorry.

Back