Happiness is having a motor stand.

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I got the engine and transmission pulled today, everything went smoothly had the engine mounted and the transmission separated within an hour.

Never used an engine stand before what a wonderful thing.

IMG_20140120_171349910.jpg

IMG_20140120_171349910.jpg

Last edited:
time frame is April 1st that may be kinda tough working Saturdays and Sundays. The whole front end needs rebuilt, dropped the steering off today to be rebuilt.

Your moving fast. I can't wait to tackle my Fury. I just painted my first car in 20 years. Restoration is a learning process, but really neat to do.

Nice going Mike, I'll expect weekly progress reports!

Ok I have made my decision on my engine. I know several of you will disagree but I am not going to tear the engine down and rebuild at this time.

Here are my reasons why. After looking over the engine we could find no bearing wear anywhere on the lower end. What we could see of the cylinder walls they look great and are smooth.

One of the biggest reasons why I'm not rebuilding at this time, because when I do rebuild I want to upgrade several things and not just keep it stock. I want it to look stock but not run that way. That is definitely not in the budget now and won't be 9 months from now either.

Another reason not to rebuild now. What am I going to do next winter??:thinker:

Seriously I hope to rebuild the engine a few years from now and build it exactly the way I want to. I can pull the engine in a weekend, so it doesn't seem like a big deal to me, practice make perfect. The winters are long in cold and this is part of the fun.

I respect your decision but it's easy to pull the motor now, not so easy to pull from a freshly restored engine bay. The hood must come off and the design of the motor mounts makes it difficult to mate the trans and line up the mounts. All while trying to not scratch anything. I hope I'll never have to do it again. That definitely was not part of the fun.

I see where he's coming from, but I agree with your decision. The engine ran fine before you pulled it. You pulled it anyway, and opened it up to inspect it. It inspected fine for everything you could check. No reason to go further if upgrades aren't in the budget.

I also like your philosophy of "looks stock but isn't." My future plans call for a similar path. I'm thinking 440 Source stealth heads and a mild Lunati cam. What are yours?

I see where he's coming from, but I agree with your decision. The engine ran fine before you pulled it. You pulled it anyway, and opened it up to inspect it. It inspected fine for everything you could check. No reason to go further if upgrades aren't in the budget.

I also like your philosophy of "looks stock but isn't." My future plans call for a similar path. I'm thinking 440 Source stealth heads and a mild Lunati cam. What are yours?

My plans are going to rely a lot on the input here. I only have enough knowledge right now to make me dangerous and that has all been gained from this forum. It has been suggested to me get a set of open chamber heads like a 452 or 906, so I am thinking along that route and maybe a mild cam too.

I have a bunch of 906 heads Mike, if you come up for the Autorama I'll give you a pair to take home with you.

I would do your research on the Stealth Heads. I was going to run them until I saw the head gasket firing ring breached the chambers on each head. If you decide to go that route, you should also budget for new springs, retainers, etc. as the components on the heads are not very good. I was also going to run their roller rockers until I found some catastrophic engine failures online caused by the roller tip coming loose, effectively turning the rocker into a pitchfork that eventually caused the retainers to pop out, dropping a valve.

I have a bunch of 906 heads Mike, if you come up for the Autorama I'll give you a pair to take home with you.

You are the man Matt. I will take you up on your offer. Thanks Stan for your offer too. I love this forum you guys are great.

Well, if you ever decide to visit Magic Kingdom....
Heads are a ***** as carry-on, though...
"Excuse me. miss, could you stow these overhead for me?"

I would do your research on the Stealth Heads. I was going to run them until I saw the head gasket firing ring breached the chambers on each head. If you decide to go that route, you should also budget for new springs, retainers, etc. as the components on the heads are not very good. I was also going to run their roller rockers until I found some catastrophic engine failures online caused by the roller tip coming loose, effectively turning the rocker into a pitchfork that eventually caused the retainers to pop out, dropping a valve.

Yeah, it's really hard to tell. There are some people really happy, and some people really loud and unhappy. As near as I could tell, most of the issues were early on with the head gaskets, and those issues seem to have been resolved. I had planned on talking to them before purchase and to order head gaskets through them so I could have a better chance of getting a set that fits.

Regarding parts on the heads, it seemed that most issues were either early on in the run, or with heads that were installed on high-performance engines. I had planned on using a cam that was compatible with stock valvetrain parts.

TANSTAAFL. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. It's tough to figure out what the compromises are when shopping on the internet!

Well, if you ever decide to visit Magic Kingdom....
Heads are a ***** as carry-on, though...
"Excuse me. miss, could you stow these overhead for me?"

LOL. I have wanted to come see the Wizardry World of Harry Potter.

I think you have a good plan I would put a roller timing chain in now and it will still be good when you go back in, very easy to put on where your at also head gaskets I know heads are on in pic did you pull them the steel shims are coming up on 50 years old and if heads are off make sure to check timing marks for accuracy dial indicator on #1 at tdc makes tuning sharp even stock, I'll bet you a beer at the nats that they are not accurate. My 2 cents keep us posted.

Looking good Mike ... btw I'm doing pretty much the same thing as you. Engine is out and I'm replacing the external things and had a set of 915s done then it going back together and getting painted. I'm rebuilding the front susp and converting to discs, and replacing the steering sector with a Firm Feel unit. My engines got 82K on it and looks good and ran fine.

Also doing the fuels system from the pump to tank.

Also had the trans rebuilt while it was out. Once it's back together I'll do the rear suspension.

Back