Hard Hit

monaco75

Reaction score
Saw these on facebook earlier today. Not sure if they were shared before or not. Looks like one hell of an impact!!

Anyone know the backstory?

EC2B0D81-CC18-489F-B321-F9F8CCBA757E.jpeg
A179BC0A-5BFF-4ED5-8A19-493AD533526E.jpeg

I remember the story, an older couple on the way home from a 300 club show lost control of the car. I think a member here bought the salvage. It’s been posted before, just not sure when.

I was the one that bought the car and shared the owner's story. Some 3 years ago now.

Yes, after leaving the 300 Club meet in one of the southern states, the older gentleman driving lost control of the car rounding a curve in the rain - he went off the road and hit a big tree in a frontal offset fashion doing about 50 mph at impact he said. He only had some bruises but his wife hit her head on the instrument panel and was taken to a hospital for observation. After being checked out, and addressing some bruises and cuts on her face from broken glass, they left the next day after the accident in a rental car and headed home. The engine in the car had just been rebuilt just before the show and other general restoration of the car took place prior to that as well.

I bought the car from Coparts and parted it out. It had a great interior and of course the rebuilt engine was saved along with the transmission and other parts of the driveline and body parts. Regarding the engine, only the water pump sustained damage, and everything else was fine.

To hit a tree at that speed and walk away from it with only minor injuries shows how well made these old Chryslers were.

I don't want to be heavy handed in this... but, I really wouldn't want someone to relive a tragedy looking at a thread like this. I'm as bad as anyone, when it comes to the fascination with wrecks like this. I'd prefer to know the passengers survived, at a minimum, before they were posted.

Somewhere, a prior owner is crying...

I don't want to be heavy handed in this... but, I really wouldn't want someone to relive a tragedy looking at a thread like this. I'm as bad as anyone, when it comes to the fascination with wrecks like this. I'd prefer to know the passengers survived, at a minimum, before they were posted.

Somewhere, a prior owner is crying...
Agreed. At least in this case nobody ended up in the ground.

I was the one that bought the car and shared the owner's story. Some 3 years ago now.

Yes, after leaving the 300 Club meet in one of the southern states, the older gentleman driving lost control of the car rounding a curve in the rain - he went off the road and hit a big tree in a frontal offset fashion doing about 50 mph at impact he said. He only had some bruises but his wife hit her head on the instrument panel and was taken to a hospital for observation. After being checked out, and addressing some bruises and cuts on her face from broken glass, they left the next day after the accident in a rental car and headed home. The engine in the car had just been rebuilt just before the show and other general restoration of the car took place prior to that as well.

I bought the car from Coparts and parted it out. It had a great interior and of course the rebuilt engine was saved along with the transmission and other parts of the driveline and body parts. Regarding the engine, only the water pump sustained damage, and everything else was fine.

Im glad to hear they were able to walk away with only minor injuries. Must have been one big solid tree!

Also glad to hear the car went to good use afterwards, and not just the scrap pile.

Thanks!

This should give you an idea on how well these tanks were built.
And yes, there was an engine in this truck, it drops out the bottom.

I once heard a story from someone about them being a dumb teenager.
They had just bought an olds delta 88 I think it was a 1970 model. They wanted to see what it could do, so they got it going over 100 mph! They sped right past two police officers, and then a sharp bend in the road came, and the car flipped many, many times. Believe it or not, they were not wearing a seat belt and didn't have a scratch on them. The two officers came running up crying because they thought that they were going to be pulling bodies out of that car.

Last edited:

They had just bought an olds delta 88 I think it was a 1970 model. They wanted to see what it could do, so they got it going over 100 mph! They sped right past two police officers, and then a sharp bend in the road came, and the car flipped many, many times. Believe it or not, they were not wearing a seat belt and didn't have a scratch on them. The two officers came running up crying because they thought that they were going to be pulling bodies out of that car.

The Olds story sounds of either nonsense or pure dumb luck.

As for Texas A&M... I wish I could have been paid that kind of money for something I could defeat with a ramp, that already exists in front of a Best-Buy.

The Olds story sounds of either nonsense or pure dumb luck.

As for Texas A&M... I wish I could have been paid that kind of money for something I could defeat with a ramp, that already exists in front of a Best-Buy.
Pure dumb luck 100% Scarred him for life.

This post reminds me of an article I read in Car & Driver back in 1970 or '71. They were road-testing a '70 Dynamic 88 with the 390 HP 455 cu. in. engine in it, and they wanted to see what it would do. They said something like: ". . . with three of us aboard, we had the cruise control set at: "Nail down the chickens, Ma. He's comin' through." I think they clocked the car at over 130, and it still had more it could do.

Back