Hard to fill fuel tank

thethee

Reaction score
I'm having a real hard time filling up the fuel tank in my 75 imperial. I'm mostly running on lpg so there normally isn't much gasoline in the tank but whenever I try putting I gasoline the nozzle shuts off after only a couple of liters. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but never all in one go. Fuel seems to bubble up the filler tube causing the nozzle to shut off.

Can't seem to find a solution to this in the FSM so thought it best to come here for some advice. Seems like a clogged vent somewhere but I don't know how or where to look for that. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Have you tried pulling the nozzle back just a little? I've had a few vehicles that would do what you are saying if I crammed the nozzle all-in. Pull it out an inch or so and it solved the problem.

I had the same problem. It was solved by taking off the hose at the vapor canister and blowing it out with an air compressor. Just make sure it's the one that goes back to the gas tank.

I had the same problem. It was solved by taking off the hose at the vapor canister and blowing it out with an air compressor. Just make sure it's the one that goes back to the gas tank.
This looks promising, will definitely try this weekend!

back in the day when I pumped gas there were a few models of cars with fillers behind the rear bumper - these were always a buggar to fill. If you pumped to fast they would give you a nice gas shower. Slow and easy was the only way to go.
Having said that, though, I would definitely try Jon O's suggestion. I know I will on mine.
Thanks Jon :D

Back