Have an old car? You're not alone. Vehicle age hits record

sauterd

Reaction score

“People are feeling comfortable keeping vehicles longer because they're built better than in the past, said IHS Markit Director of Global Automotive Aftermarket Mark Seng.”

"The quality is higher, lasting longer, withstanding the weather," Seng said.”

Yeah my '03 Ram has 198K on it. I don't see letting go of it anytime soon. Mostly because I can't replace it with anything comparable with less than 10K miles for under $40K these days.

I fit into that "old car" category. My newest daily car is my '08 Civic that I use as my work car. I take care of my stuff so it last a long time. Plus with the ridiculous prices of some of these new cars, I think I'll just keep buying "old" vehicles and letting someone else take the huge depreciation hit.

Also, I can still work on all of my cars. These new cars are starting to get out of my ability/comfort level with all of the electronic ****.

Last edited:
My 04 Toyota Tundra Crew cab is still going strong in New England because of the recall that Toyota replaced the frame. My truck had this done in 2014. The truck is now emissions exempt because of it's age here in MA. Since I bought it in 2015 I have had it treated with Fluid Film and do so every year in an attempt to combat the salt it is exposed to. It doesn't get the best mileage compared to trucks today but the little extra gas it does use is far cheaper than buying a new truck. It runs well and everything still works.
So far so good with the Fluid Film.

My 2016 Ram is hopefully destined to become one of those "old" vehicles. Here in southern Ontario Canada salt is used extensively from December to March. I'm trying to hold off the rust with annual spraying. My fear is that the eco-nazis will do what the rust can't which is retiring my 8 cylinder carbon emitting beast early with targeted carbon taxes etc.

My 04 Toyota Tundra Crew cab is still going strong in New England because of the recall that Toyota replaced the frame. My truck had this done in 2014. The truck is now emissions exempt because of it's age here in MA. Since I bought it in 2015 I have had it treated with Fluid Film and do so every year in an attempt to combat the salt it is exposed to. It doesn't get the best mileage compared to trucks today but the little extra gas it does use is far cheaper than buying a new truck. It runs well and everything still works.
So far so good with the Fluid Film.

Isn't the easiest was to combat the salt is to spray the entire undercarriage with diesel just before the beginning of the winter season? The hard part is finding somewhere to let it drip before bringing it home.

Yes that's what many used to and some still do. Get a hand pump garden sprayer ,use used motor oil and cut it with kerosine and spray it on. Fluid film mimics the same thing but is legal as it has no petroleum to speak of so it is eco friendly. The place that does this for me before the first application said to power wash the undercarriage well and bring it in when dry. He applied it with a sprayer in the summer. He then said "no undercarriage washes" as it will eventually wash off. He said "drive on dusty dry roads " to coat the fluid film with dust . Many guys in my area use this stuff with great success. Many apply it to new trucks around here.

Although Fluid Film does not recommend this ,Fluid Film does not attack rubber components like oil and kero does.

My daily driver is a 94 Dodge Caravan with 158K on it, I've had it for the last 25 years and no plans getting rid of it anytime soon. I go to the boneyard ands see these with over 350K on the clock and I just say that mine is just getting broken in!

The 06 F-150 I bought new for $15.5 ( :wideyed: ) was with the intention of it being a Bic lighter. Use it forever until it won't light up anymore then leave it where it dies with no regrets. Just fond memories of it being my faithful sidekick, which it has never failed to be.
13 years and I have yet to wash it. :lol:
50 k for a new truck... :realcrazy: x 100!

265,000 on my 04 Dodge 3500 CTD. Still wouldn't hesitate to drive it across country again. Of course no rust issues to worry about for me. :poke:

If I lived with no rust I would never buy another car. My wife is easy on cars, brakes and interior parts. I could get 3-400k out of a vehicle

Longest I have kept a new vehicle was 13 years. My parents bought it from me and drove it another 10 years. An 86 Chev G20 6.2 diesel that had close to 200,000 miles on it. Including that one, I went through 18 new cars/trucks in 47 years.

Dad’s 95 F150, bought new.. he was a proud MF’r when he brought it home.. 330K and still roll’en.. they can bury me in it. Lol
59589451-470D-4158-AF0F-A7810DCFE9BB.jpeg
AABB3952-AD1D-4A1D-AB6F-761EE1C70FFF.jpeg
D5FA587B-4B53-4B9F-B03B-CFA7B26BF02F.jpeg

What was his maintenance secret? Did he drive it in winter? If so what did he do?

My daily driver isn't too old. It's been a good car for having a Fiat engine. 2013 dodge Dodge dart. 188000 miles. Stock clutch still. Can't wait to upgrade to a charger or Challenger though this thing has saved me countless dollars in gas for the past 4 years now!!

What was his maintenance secret? Did he drive it in winter? If so what did he do?
The truck was Ala it entire life, No snow or salt damage. He drive bout 1.5 hr each way to and from work in Mississippi. It was not out in the sun much, our driveway had a Huge Oak tree for shade.. so that saved to paint to a degree.. I had it spot painted and buffed to try and bring it back. (Pictured) I had just picked it up from the detailers. Prior to having it detailed on the outside I completely gutted the interior and had a new headliner, seat covers carpet and stereo done. I also had some rust repair deep in the Cowl, common for those trucks from what I hear. Also Dad was a big smoker, hence the reason he’s no longer with me. The inside of the truck reeked with The cigarette smell. (No offense intended for the smokers out there). Now with the help of LMC trucks in my local Ford dealer and bring her back little by little. I’ve replaced most of the interior plastics, dash bezel and knobs, door panels and switches. Exterior chrome trim and badging. I’ll take some other pictures of the work completed and post them. Thanks for the interest.
D8838A7E-7FCA-44A2-A368-6D0589777EA1.jpeg
089E5970-4C2A-483B-A5E0-131C8BBA1CF2.jpeg
4973F956-5253-416C-BBA0-ED39A3928199.jpeg
F1EFDA7B-B568-4540-9576-2E4F21F282E7.jpeg
763A54D9-709B-4805-9776-E1CFF70321FC.jpeg
EACE8735-1212-420D-8E0B-EF712370B5FE.jpeg
B3ABA585-A839-4E23-9986-D98DD53BFB06.jpeg

Only down side(s) to oak trees is acorns, dead falling branches, sap, nature in general. It's not a walnut tree

Back