having trouble getting the dash cluster out.

Fast Eddie B

Reaction score
An hour in and still not looking like it's coming out....

Here is the problem: no dash lights. The couple of lights that come in when the door is open work. The fuse for the lights is good. But speedo and gauges not lighting with the headlights.

I figured I had to get to the back off the cluster to at least find bikes and the main orange wire. Not easy. I think I still need to do the speedo cable but even that looks tough to get at.

Any help on fixing the lights or getting dash out would be much appreciated

9 times out of 10, I have found it easier to drop the steering column from the upper bracket. This will allow you to reach up and unplug the speedo cable, then you should just be able to pull the cluster out with all the room you need.

9 times out of 10, I have found it easier to drop the steering column from the upper bracket. This will allow you to reach up and unplug the speedo cable, then you should just be able to pull the cluster out with all the room you need.

On a fuselage there is ample room but looking at his garage it looks like hes got The later years ....

77 t&c. Here's the update. I still haven't got the cluster out - here's a Question - do I disconnect the heater cables or will the heater controls drop out if I take out the two screws holding the plate on?

I think I found the wiring issue. I did not see any power at the fuse box so I tested for power coming off the tan wire at the light switch. Still no power/lights. Then i ran power to the number one fuse from the battery and it lit up the dash lights. Since all the lights work, I guess the switch works but the dimmer/dash light side of the light switch, no. So the switch must be bad.

Now I just have to get the console out anyway to get the switch out! Maybe just dirty.

Well, 1977 T & C no lights, by chance did you check the fusable links under the hood? The lights are on a straight feed from the battery. Since you applied power to the fusebox and they work, it has to be from the battery into the switch.

Well, 1977 T & C no lights, by chance did you check the fusable links under the hood? The lights are on a straight feed from the battery. Since you applied power to the fusebox and they work, it has to be from the battery into the switch.
Just no dash lights. Switch is working and putting power through fuse #7 just not dash through #1 but battery to #1 powers dash lights.

Formals have the easiest cluster of all C bodies. There is access to nearly everything from the front.

Have you got the bezel off? 3 screws hold the headlight switch from there.

I can walk you through it if needed.

Think I got the bezel off, but have not got the cluster out yet. I can't see how to pull the switch connector off without pulling the whole cluster and to do that I think I have to drop the steering column and disconnect then heater cables. Please, correct me if I am wrong!

I also wanted to polish the lens. Are they easy to remove from the cluster?

It sounds like you are trying to pull the whole dash assy. out. On formals they are the first Multi-piece dash Chrysler used. Just pull the front face cover off, (about 5 or 6 screws at the bottom, clips at the top. After you get the face off you will see the mounting bracket for the headlight switch, like mentioned earlier three screws and it is in your hand.

Think I got the bezel off, but have not got the cluster out yet. I can't see how to pull the switch connector off without pulling the whole cluster and to do that I think I have to drop the steering column and disconnect then heater cables. Please, correct me if I am wrong!

I also wanted to polish the lens. Are they easy to remove from the cluster?

Please post a pic of where you're at and I can take you from there.

Folks, thanks for all the help. Here is a pic. Yeah, it was easy. Three screws and it was out. I tested it. It was beyond cleaning. $16.32 inc shipping from rock auto. I spent how many hours trying to get the whole thing apart?! Live and learn.

But while I'm in there..... Does that big white dash cluster come out so I can polish the lens?

image.jpg

You will see some retaining clips, should be white, but maybe black, 4 to 6 in number. Pull them straight out with a pair of pliers and the lens will fall right in your hands.

You will see some retaining clips, should be white, but maybe black, 4 to 6 in number. Pull them straight out with a pair of pliers and the lens will fall right in your hands.

Yup look like push pins use a pair of needle nose pliers to get at them. Curious as to how you will polish the clear plastic cover as I need to do this on something similar.

Yup look like push pins use a pair of needle nose pliers to get at them. Curious as to how you will polish the clear plastic cover as I need to do this on something similar.

Piece of cake. I have a HF 8"buffer. I use a 8" soft cotton wheel with green rouge. Works like magic. I've polished a number of plastic pieces clear and other. Haven't ruined anything yet. Dash lens, blinker lens - clear, orange and red - and lots of tired plastic emblems.

I did talk to an expert at a swap meet last fall. He said I should be using blue rouge, it will be better. I bought some, just haven't got the blue compound and buffer in the same place at the same time. I might get it home before I polish these lens.

Piece of cake. I have a HF 8"buffer. I use a 8" soft cotton wheel with green rouge. Works like magic. I've polished a number of plastic pieces clear and other. Haven't ruined anything yet. Dash lens, blinker lens - clear, orange and red - and lots of tired plastic emblems.

I did talk to an expert at a swap meet last fall. He said I should be using blue rouge, it will be better. I bought some, just haven't got the blue compound and buffer in the same place at the same time. I might get it home before I polish these lens.

Thanks! I have something similar so i will try it.

Couldn't resist. Pulled out the speedo cover and hit it with the buffer before work this am. Tried green. It worked. Went to white. For some reason I had a note by the buffer to use white. Most of the scratches from dirty rags came out. Left me with a nice polished very buff lens.

Now, the white lettering.... I tried window cleaner and bleeche white but no effect. I don't think they can be repainted. Anyone have a solution to brighten the white on the dash?

Couldn't resist. Pulled out the speedo cover and hit it with the buffer before work this am. Tried green. It worked. Went to white. For some reason I had a note by the buffer to use white. Most of the scratches from dirty rags came out. Left me with a nice polished very buff lens.

Now, the white lettering.... I tried window cleaner and bleeche white but no effect. I don't think they can be repainted. Anyone have a solution to brighten the white on the dash?
That is the way the lens is molded. I would just clean it with a mild soap.

Back