hazzards wont work on right side

swisherred

Reaction score
1967 newport

All signals, brake and indicators...including fender indicators work properly....but when I use the emergency flashers everything works EXCEPT the front and rear right signals...all indicators and fender lights still work though.

confusing me because the fender lights are on the same wires as the actual signals, so electrically the signals should be working as well...lost

I just replaced everything when I rebuilt the dash harness...I dont think its a fuse problem otherwise none would work...not just some...

Also check your turn signal flasher and emergency flasher, make sure it’s properly grounded. If it’s the original- it’s probably about time to replace anyways.

Is the flashing time slow, or sometimes stay stuck?

no clue how old the flashers are, but since some work and some dont it shouldnt be the flasher unit itself....it simply turns on and off the power to the switch circuit...its an all or nothing thing. flashing time is normal...

since all of the wiring is correct (since the signals work and indicators all work) im left with one thing that i can think of....the turn signal switch itself...since the fender indicator is on the same wire prior to the signal switch it works, but the rear signal is on the other side of the turn signal switch...so im thinking that if the turn signal switch is bad it would explain that side not working.....?????????????

1967 newport

All signals, brake and indicators...including fender indicators work properly....but when I use the emergency flashers everything works EXCEPT the front and rear right signals...all indicators and fender lights still work though.

confusing me because the fender lights are on the same wires as the actual signals, so electrically the signals should be working as well...lost
The service manual says "Make sure turn signal lever is in neutral position to prevent feed back to accessory lighting causing intermittent operations of accessories" it lists the emergency flasher in the harness as one by the bulkhead connector this is a heavy duty one not to be confused with the turn signal flasher

Last edited:
i just rang out the wires and everything is wired correctly..but I lose the voltage at the turn signal switch. given that I had some problems with it already Im thinking that is the culprit since the indicators are prior to it and the signals are after it.

Sounds like a classic turn signal switch failure....been there a couple times and when one of them starts to go you can pull your hair out trying to figure out why one light works or flashes but others don't etc.

Only issue I can think of is perhaps the wiring might be shorter on the A/B body switches compared to the C-body unit. But I'm pretty sure..???...I did use an original 68/69 B-Body turn signal switch in my 68 T/C wagon when it's switch went south. Worse case scenario is you order the cheaper switch and if the wiring is a tad too short you'll have to cut and splice a section from your original switch in place to extended it....for a $100+ savings I will splice wires all day long. ;)

FYI you may need to adjust the wire location on that switch compared to your original...regardless if the colour of the wires are the same. Make sure you trace the wires from your original and mark where they are placed on the connector. I know I had to move one of the wires when I used the replacement switch in my wagon.

If you are still running 67 factory column..
Replace the hazard switch---not the turn signal switch!
You say all lights function normally except the hazards.

Make sure the pigtail for the hazard switch is plugged in correctly.
on the 67 68 Chrysler it is easy to jam the plug on halfway or even upside down.
I know I did that! And the car was not happy!
I had the same issue with my hazard flasher switch where only one side worked,.
After cleaning up the contacts it did work--for a while and eventually I replaced it.
If you need a hazard switch I have a good working one.
PM if you need it.

Last edited:
I tried the hazard switch plugged in both ways...same thing. Playing with the switch didn't help but I will tear it apart and rebuild it before I order anything.. I still think it sends a signal through the turn signal switch to pick up the rear blinkers...aside from that....I see no method of determining up or down on the connector compared to the switch....thoughts on that?

I tried the hazard switch plugged in both ways...same thing. Playing with the switch didn't help but I will tear it apart and rebuild it before I order anything.. I still think it sends a signal through the turn signal switch to pick up the rear blinkers...aside from that....I see no method of determining up or down on the connector compared to the switch....thoughts on that?
The color of the wires at the switch pigtail.
The red and black wires are to the left (driver side) tan wire is right turn and light green is left turn and are to the right (passenger) side.
I stand corrected yes the TS switch shares the same circuit as the hazards. I looked in my FSM. Thanks
I am quite confident the hazard switch is your problem,
Been there done that.

The color of the wires at the switch pigtail.
The red and black wires are to the left (driver side) tan wire is right turn and light green is left turn and are to the right (passenger) side.
I stand corrected yes the TS switch shares the same circuit as the hazards. I looked in my FSM. Thanks
I am quite confident the hazard switch is your problem,
Been there done that.
Ok...I will look into the switch before I do anything else. Ty

The hazard switch sounds like the problem. When turned on it shorts the lights together and connects them to a heavy duty flasher as previously said. The tan wire is right front turn signal, the light green is left front turn signal. The red wire is power from the flasher. I believe the last wire should be white and goes to the stop lamps. There are a couple of other wires in the TS harness that go to the rear turn signals but I don't think they are relevant since there are not enough connections to the flasher switch to use them. I would check for corrosion on all the terminals first. Very common for old connections to be corroded. There is also a fuse in the power lead to the flasher. A multimeter is very useful here if you know how to use one. Make sure everything works when using normal turn signals/brake lights/parking lights. Other than that the emergency flasher should click when activated, all pins of flasher switch should show a pulsing voltage on a meter when EM flasher is on. If not it's the switch. The part # is 2587348 for 66 models. It was an option then. Collectors auto supply has 3 of them.

The hazard switch sounds like the problem. When turned on it shorts the lights together and connects them to a heavy duty flasher as previously said. The tan wire is right front turn signal, the light green is left front turn signal. The red wire is power from the flasher. I believe the last wire should be white and goes to the stop lamps. There are a couple of other wires in the TS harness that go to the rear turn signals but I don't think they are relevant since there are not enough connections to the flasher switch to use them. I would check for corrosion on all the terminals first. Very common for old connections to be corroded. There is also a fuse in the power lead to the flasher. A multimeter is very useful here if you know how to use one. Make sure everything works when using normal turn signals/brake lights/parking lights. Other than that the emergency flasher should click when activated, all pins of flasher switch should show a pulsing voltage on a meter when EM flasher is on. If not it's the switch. The part # is 2587348 for 66 models. It was an option then. Collectors auto supply has 3 of them.

ok...took the switch apart and polished the contacts, greased with dielectric grease and rang it out...all contacts now work. consistently. reinstalled. now only the 4 indicators and front left signal flash...given that they all work on running lights and brake lights...I can only assume it is the signal switch itself now. I ordered one to be safe since mine was having issues to begin with.

Back