Header Options for 318LA in 1968 Monaco

jpetrik

Reaction score
Hello Everyone;

I hope all is well. Very glad to have found this group. I recently purchased a 1968 Dodge Monaco 500 Convertible and am in the process of restoring it. I had this car when I was 16 for about 10 years. Had to sell it for life reasons 20 years ago and always regretted it. Was really happy to be able to purchase another one recently.

On to the question. I'm hoping to do a mild upgrade to the 318 LA engine in it - will put in an aluminum intake, 4bbl carb and new cam. To help with increased flow, I'd like to put a set of headers and dual exhaust. I've done a lot of searching, but the header options seem very scarce. I contacted TTI and was informed that they don't have header/pipe options for the car, but have everything else I need from the transmission back.

I'm looking for any input or advice from anyone on headers that may work for this engine/car combo. I appreciate your time and assistance.

Have a great day,

Jim.

I would strongly advise that headers would be a total waste of money on your 318.
I seriously doubt that even if you could extract more hp, the tiny gain would never be felt in the seat of the pants street driving.
Also, headers are crap in construction vs. cast manifolds.

While it's possible to extract a decent amount of HP from a 318LA, it takes a LOT more than a 4bbl, an intake, a cam and headers. The heads simply breathe like crap and the piston at TDC is 1/2" below deck height. All these things need to be taken into consideration if you really want any sort of gain.

The LA is an awesome engine and I often wish I still had my old Canadian 68 with it's original 318. I tuned the crap out of it and the only mods I did were 4bbl, intake, electronic ignition and dual exhaust. Wasn't much more powerful than stock but got great mileage and sounded nice.

Thanks a lot for the input - it's greatly appreciated. By no means am I trying to make this into a muscle car - just trying to do as you've suggested - have it running and sounding good.

Painting the existing manifolds and putting dual exhaust on sounds like a great option. Have a great day. Jim.

You mention a new cam, so that's going fairly far into the engine.
  1. Will you be doing the work or paying someone?
  2. What is your budget?
Answer me those and I'll throw my .02 out there. The 318 is a fine engine for what you want to do but I'm gonna give you a curveball, so be ready...

You mention a new cam, so that's going fairly far into the engine.
  1. Will you be doing the work or paying someone?
  2. What is your budget?
Answer me those and I'll throw my .02 out there. The 318 is a fine engine for what you want to do but I'm gonna give you a curveball, so be ready...

Hi Fury Fan;

Will be doing the work myself. Willing to spend a bit on the engine makeover, but don't want to get too overly crazy. The engine has 32,000 original miles on it, and is in great shape. Thanks

Hi Fury Fan;

Will be doing the work myself. Willing to spend a bit on the engine makeover, but don't want to get too overly crazy. The engine has 32,000 original miles on it, and is in great shape. Thanks

Okay, yes the 318 is a good engine, it can be wakened up and I did that to mine, but it was a complete rebuild. So, with the low compression, there are issues. The guys at Hughes Engines can answer all of your questions. Their cams are ground for mopar engines and can utilize the larger lifter bore. So call them at (309) 745-9558 or email at [email protected]. They are great guys and all they do are Mopar.

Okay, yes the 318 is a good engine, it can be wakened up and I did that to mine, but it was a complete rebuild. So, with the low compression, there are issues. The guys at Hughes Engines can answer all of your questions. Their cams are ground for mopar engines and can utilize the larger lifter bore. So call them at (309) 745-9558 or email at [email protected]. They are great guys and all they do are Mopar.

Thanks a lot for the information - it's greatly appreciated!

I would love to see a 318 mostly stock build retaining the factory look.
It will run like a sewing machine. I'd rather have that than a modified rebuild that has idiosyncrasies.
I don't look for power anymore

If doing the work yourself, you have more money available for parts, which is good.

Here is my recommendation, you'll need to research it further for specifics, as my memory is foggy on some details.

I would install heads off a 5.2/5.9 Magnum
- they have 1.6 or 1.7 rockers, significantly better ports, chambers, bigger valves than LA 318 heads, etc. They will increase your CR, increase power, increase mpg - a winner across the board. However, they oil the valvetrain via the pushrods, so you need to make some other changes from the cam-upward . Read this, and netsearch for a few other articles to get a consensus on the info:

http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/2magnumlaheads.php

You would need a Magnum-specific intake manifold, and the heads don't have heatrisers, but some guys block those off anyway.

Installing a whole 5.2 Magnum would be a little better even, as you get a roller cam and some other subtle improvements -- but I understand wanting to keep a 32k shortblock. And you'd either need to run an elec fuel pump or swap the timing cover-outward to run a mech fuel pump + Hughes cam eccentric adapter).

There are some other details to watch regarding Magnum intake manifolds and the location of the waterneck, but review pictures of the intake before you buy and think 2 steps ahead. It's not a big hurdle unless you have AC. (Magnums use serpentine belts and reverse-rotation waterpumps, so be careful what parts you swap).

Magnum exh manifolds are touted as flowing almost as well as early 340 exh manifolds, and are fairly cheap vs headers or 340 manifolds. The 92-93 manifolds have a larger-dia outlet, so those would be more desirable, although on a 318 it likely doesn't matter between sizes unless you cam up a bit.

Factory 318s were rated at 230hp gross, then in 72 dropped to 150. We might speculate that a pre-smog 318 would have 180 net hp? Copcar 318s of hte 80s were rated at 165-175hp, with a small 240deg cam, higher-flow 360 heads and intake with a 4-barrel. I think that assuming 180net hp on a 68 318 2-barrel is very fair.

But - 5.2 Magnums were rated at 220-230 hp net, and their cam is also in teh 240deg range, so that's a 40-50hp difference. Yes, the EFI helps on them, but the heads and CR are the big key - one can presume for any factory engine built after perhaps 1990, that hte newer the head, the better it will perform in hp, mpg, and emissions. Heads have so much sophistication built into them.

However -

You'll read a lot about factory Magnum heads cracking, and they do. But they crack between the int and exh valve seats, which causes no water loss, and people often find this on a fine-runnign engine. It's a stress-relieving crack, not a breakage crack. IMHO, logically, the cracking is not a major concern to Joe Average. But for a 32k engine, you want 'new' heads so seach for some of hte aftermarket ones that have solved that problem. Enginequest used to be a brand for them, there might be others now. If you can find a set drilled/tapped for both Magnum and LA intake hole patterns, you have a lot more options on intake manifolds (cheaper!). (my info on heads is 10 years old, so research for yourself, there are probably more parts out there now)

For a cam -
What you get will depend on what you choose for heads, what oiling style you need, fuel pump setup, etc, but I would choose soemthign in the 260 range, nothing bigger.

Summary
I think Magnum heads, very mild cam, a 600-size carb, Magnum exh manifolds with 2-1/4" exhaust should give you an easy 50-75hp gain and possibly a few mpg if you don't drive it like a madman.

2 easier options, but with parts a little harder to find:

Do the same thing but with -302 heads from teh 88-91 'TBI era'. Those have some of the chamber/port benefits of the Magnum, but with full LA compatibility, although they have smaller valves. The 360 of that era (-308) heads is similar but with 360-sized valves/ports. I believe both give a CR boost, with teh -302 giving higher port velocity and throttle response, and hte -308 giving higher RPM flow. Both have standard 1.5 rocker ratio.

I would love to see a 318 mostly stock build retaining the factory look.
It will run like a sewing machine. I'd rather have that than a modified rebuild that has idiosyncrasies.
I don't look for power anymore

Amen to that. Few things sweeter than a nice ol 318. Simple durable & dependable. You forget there's an engine under the hood till you need it...

Hello Everyone;

Thanks so much for all of the input. Fury Fan - thanks very much for the suggestions. I also see value in keeping it somewhat of a stock 318 - my initial thought was to give it a tiny bit more breathing room and a great sound. Great advice on this site, which I appreciate.

I would strongly advise that headers would be a total waste of money on your 318.
I seriously doubt that even if you could extract more hp, the tiny gain would never be felt in the seat of the pants street driving.
Also, headers are crap in construction vs. cast manifolds.
^This^

Hello Everyone;

Thanks so much for all of the input. Fury Fan - thanks very much for the suggestions. I also see value in keeping it somewhat of a stock 318 - my initial thought was to give it a tiny bit more breathing room and a great sound. Great advice on this site, which I appreciate.

I put a Holley 600 on mine and it woke it right up. No racer cam or headers on my 318 thanks. Just threw on new plugs points and messed with the timing. Good mileage, no drama and it scoots along nicely. Good luck man !!!

Number one rule, have fun and enjoy the ride.

I put a Holley 600 on mine and it woke it right up. No racer cam or headers on my 318 thanks. Just threw on new plugs points and messed with the timing. Good mileage, no drama and it scoots along nicely. Good luck man !!!

Number one rule, have fun and enjoy the ride.[/QUOTE

That's awesome - thanks!!

Back