Headers won't fit ! 68 polara 500 wagon

Buck

Reaction score
goodaye,

I have a stroked out 400BB recently installed in my 68 polara 500 wagon. I purchased HKR5113 (hooker headers) and they run straight into the tortion bars. Has anybody out headers on a BB in one of these? If so, what did you use? Thanks in advance for your help!

image.jpeg

I've got the same headers on my 67 Monaco. 440 though. I'm close to the torsion bars, and REALLY close to the lip of the transmission pan on the right side.

If you still have the mill out, or if it's easy to get back out, I'd lay the headers in the engine bay, tie em up against the wheel well and then drop the engine back in.

Why would I use original manifolds on a 550hp motor? Seems to defeat the purpose..
Use the original manifolds.......[/QUOTE
I've got the same headers on my 67 Monaco. 440 though. I'm close to the torsion bars, and REALLY close to the lip of the transmission pan on the right side.

If you still have the mill out, or if it's easy to get back out, I'd lay the headers in the engine bay, tie em up against the wheel well and then drop the engine back in.

Just looked at it and I think that will work for us. Thank you very much. I'll let you know how we make out.

Thinkin on it a bit, the flange that goes to the exhaust ports should be as low on the inner wheel wells as possible I think.

The drivers side I did from underneath. Removed the transmission linkage, starter, and unbolted the engine mount and jacked up the engine to get it in. Once in I had to hold the header up and then wiggle the starter in place and then bolt it up while holding the header once the bolts started on the starter the header could be bolted in.

The passenger side, I had to jack the motor and knock the header down in to place with a dead blow. Where was no way, no way it was going up from the bottom. I don't care what the directions said.

I had heddman shorties on my 440 in my 68 Monaco. Had to switch out my starter for a high torque compact model... Alternatively, the can be hammered to fit with standard starters but I wasn't comfy with that.
No other clearance issues.

... And your ride rules, by the way. That rim/cap combo works so well with that body.

Nope, my wagon has a 318........ 22 mph hwy. Good sense prevailed long ago.

You've been really pleasant on this thread. Great advice and very helpful. Thank you kindly. Got the headers incase you were concerned about it. Have a great day friend.

Hey Buck,

I know you're in Canada so I just wanted to ask as a lot of Canadian cars were 318s, how did you deal on oil pan/idler arm clearance? I got the wrong pan at first n had to do some hammering in the short term.

That's all I got for now. I'll post more of the car when I get it all buttoned up.

Oh yeah I forgot about dropping the drag link off the idler and steering arm too.... they were a pain in the *** but all worth it.

And certainly not as bad as the 318 headers on the 68 coronet we did when I was 20.

Hey Buck,

I know you're in Canada so I just wanted to ask as a lot of Canadian cars were 318s, how did you deal on oil pan/idler arm clearance? I got the wrong pan at first n had to do some hammering in the short term.

Back