Headlight lense restoration

rkrochen

Reaction score
Recently I have noticed the headlights on my wife’s car were fogging over. With the shorter days coming I felt it was time to do something and to be honest I was a little apprehensive. I purchased one of the 3M headlight restoration kits and went at it.
Well it turned out great and I am quite pleased with it.
It’s supposed to work well on plastic lenses such as taillights. I do think you can do your own variation though. The kit includes 500, 800 and 3000grit pads. As well there is a very fine rubbing compound and silicone wax. Can’t wait to try it on something else.

C72A01B9-518B-45FC-A7C5-F9672751DD6B.jpeg

3B611D96-71D4-4799-8BBC-F199999B2680.jpeg

0F02DF7B-F669-4EBA-BCCF-8BE058EBA955.jpeg

B62DF0C3-592D-4F17-B8AE-EC10378864C6.jpeg

That turned out nice. My experiences and talking to others is it won't last though. I did my granddaughters PT Cruiser and my wife's minivan and they fogged over within a few months.

That turned out nice. My experiences and talking to others is it won't last though. I did my granddaughters PT Cruiser and my wife's minivan and they fogged over within a few months.
I was worried about that. When I purchased the kit from the local parts store he told me to use on the 3M one as the other ones don’t work or last. I guess time will tell.

I've had good luck by clearcoating the lens with the same clear paint you would use on the body. I sand the lens up to 2000 grit, then put on a couple coats of clear. So far, the three cars that I've done are holding up well.

Jeff

I've had good luck by clearcoating the lens with the same clear paint you would use on the body. I sand the lens up to 2000 grit, then put on a couple coats of clear. So far, the three cars that I've done are holding up well.

Jeff
Gee, I never gave that a thought! Auto paint clear Would seal the lens and provide UV protection too. Thanks!!!!!

Jeff
It seems "live4theking" has a different opinion about that, but "Newport66" is spot on about the UV. You have to use clear that's UV resistant to make it hold up.

Gee, I never gave that a thought! Auto paint clear Would seal the lens and provide UV protection too. Thanks!!!!!

I used to do this for a living, doing headlights, self taught! I used wet sand soapy H20 in 400, 800, 1000, 2000, then buff compound then shoot UV clear and never had a problem. OP, looks good!

Great info for the future. I would be afraid to try and put the clear coat in right now as the final process was to use a polish on it. If they cloud up again I will definitely consider doing this. Probably try in on another car first just for practice.

Glad you had great results with your restoration!

There are many YouTube vids on this subject. One uses a PT Cruiser for its "subject". After the sanding, progressing from coarse to fine, they shoot on a few light coats of a particular "gloss clear" that is UV resistant.

Even with "protectant" for the newly-done plastic, there needs to be something more permanent that just a wipe-on coating. You could make sure to keep it waxed. Or possibly use some of the new silica dioxide "ceramic" wipe on coatings? Otherwise, you'll be doing it again quarterly.

ALSO be sure to remove the bulbs and wash the inner lens/reflector area of the housings, too.

CBODY67

I'd just replace it with new oem of off noneof ebay that aftermarket crap that gives you hotspots

I'd just replace it with new oem of off noneof ebay that aftermarket crap that gives you hotspots
At the price these things are I will gladly keep refinishing the ones I have. This is a 2013 bought new and is the first time they have had to refinish. The car is garaged a lot so the sun doesn’t get at it as much. Also not dealing with the southern heat and sun effects up here in the north so I expect it to last a while.
I will definitely look into the clear coat idea though.

I did my '05 Park Avenue and my Fiancé '09 G6 headlights with "Brasso" It is a mild liquid abrasive primarily used to polish metal. I have used it on by chrome bumpers, copper fire extinguisher etc. It has been around for about 100 years and sells for about $3 for a 5 ounce bottle. No need to re-invent the wheel when this proven product is out there.

It seems "live4theking" has a different opinion about that, but "Newport66" is spot on about the UV. You have to use clear that's UV resistant to make it hold up.

I used to do this for a living, doing headlights, self taught! I used wet sand soapy H20 in 400, 800, 1000, 2000, then buff compound then shoot UV clear and never had a problem. OP, looks good!
My disagreement was accidental, must have happened with my phone. It has since been removed.

Make sure to clear coat it with a non-yellowing clear and it will last for a year or two. At least that has been my experience.

Back