Headlight trouble

Reaction score
Hey guys. My headlights will not work unless the high beams are on. When the high beams are on, all 4 lights work. Could this be the headlight switch? Thanks for your help.

Normally when this happens it's the dipper switch located on the left hand floor of the car. That's the first place I would check. They are pretty standard, easy to replace, and run about 5-10 dollars at most auto parts stores. If I remember right, C=Mopar, Ford and AMC used interchangable three wire switches.

Then you can tell everyone here with a straight face what Spotted Dick is....

Last edited:
Why would it be the dimmer switch? The high beams are working fine. The problem is when I pull the headlight switch to put the headlights on, they do not go on. When I press the dimmer switch, the headlights go on along with the high beams. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the headlight switch on the dash need to be replaced?

Why would it be the dimmer switch? The high beams are working fine. The problem is when I pull the headlight switch to put the headlights on, they do not go on. When I press the dimmer switch, the headlights go on along with the high beams. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the headlight switch on the dash need to be replaced?

The dash switch would be OK because it feeds the floor switch. This switch will either power the low beams or the high beams. It would appear that the high beam position is working correctly and the low beam output is defective.

Expanding a bit on what 300rag said, in low position only the lows work, in high position all four lights work. If the low position is bad, the low beams wont work and the highs are turned off anyway. Sometimes they will spring to life again if you quickly push the switch several times, but it is better to just replace the it. If it is iffy, it could go out on you again at the most inopportune time.

Just replaced the dimmer switch and still have the same problem. Should I replace the dimmer switch connector? Or could the problem be the headlight switch itself?

I had a 71 years ago that did exactly that and it was the dimmer. So much was the short that it melted the connector to the dimmer. I am surprised to see you are still having trouble with a new dimmer. Only from experience be sure that your connector is good and is not shorting out. Go ahead and replace the switch, its not going to hurt.

How can anybody think of doing an electrical diagnosis without starting with this????

test_light.jpg

Easy, keep buying parts working up the chain until you find the right one. Most of us backyard guys have to use reasoning and common sense to figure things out. The ten bucks it would cost to buy that thingamajig is the price of dinner for the family.

Easy, keep buying parts working up the chain until you find the right one. Most of us backyard guys have to use reasoning and common sense to figure things out. The ten bucks it would cost to buy that thingamajig is the price of dinner for the family.
Stop it.
You own an old car.
You HAVE to own a test light....

Last edited:
Is that what that is called? How do you use it? I may have one somewhere............nope....nope I do not own one.

Is it possible that the obvious was overlooked?

Try changing a headlight, it could be burned out on the low side....

Then change the other one.

Back