Headlights non-operational

Fishfan

Reaction score
Long time, no see guys. I've got an issue with the headlights on my 66 polara 318 poly. The other day turned them on and they seemed to short out. Tail lights are fine. When I push the high beam floor pedal, all four come on. As a temporary fix I've disconnected the two on the inside. Wondering where I should look first. It's not a fuse as they are all intact.

Long time, no see guys. I've got an issue with the headlights on my 66 polara 318 poly. The other day turned them on and they seemed to short out. Tail lights are fine. When I push the high beam floor pedal, all four come on. As a temporary fix I've disconnected the two on the inside. Wondering where I should look first. It's not a fuse as they are all intact.
My bet is that floor dimmer switch.

I had the same issue several years ago on my '66 Coronet. Had high-beams only. A new dimmer switch cured it.

u have a copy of the factory service book with wiring diagrams? if not get 1 it will save ua ton of headaches

I had the same issue several years ago on my '66 Coronet. Had high-beams only. A new dimmer switch cured it.
When you say dimmer switch, you mean the high beam button on the floor or the headlight switch on the dash that dims the interior lights?

When you say dimmer switch, you mean the high beam button on the floor or the headlight switch on the dash that dims the interior lights?
i would ckeg the head lights low beam grounds
make shre they r clean with no rust or other kind of corrosion

The floor switch. The h/l switch has a rheostat for the dash light dimmer

Last edited:
Was hoping it was as simple as this. Shiny new dimmer switch installed, still no low beams, only all four on high beams.

Was hoping it was as simple as this. Shiny new dimmer switch installed, still no low beams, only all four on high beams.
use a test light on the wiring . do u have voltage to the dimmer switch? r the grounds good & clean mopars use grounds in many cases if the light dose not tight u have a bad ground

use a test light on the wiring . do u have voltage to the dimmer switch? r the grounds good & clean mopars use grounds in many cases if the light dose not tight u have a bad ground
do u have a copy of the wiring schematic/diagram? unlink the new imports all te wires on yur car r color coded . get a true factory service book in section 8 there will be a complete wiring diagram then its a matter of checking whats hot & whats not. its not hsrd just tome consuming . plus with the factory service manual there r check list /a schedule it will tell u what to look for . do u have 12 volts @ the switch? in & out? useing a good test light if u have a good 12 volts te light woll be good & bright if not it wil be dim

do u have a copy of the wiring schematic/diagram? unlink the new imports all te wires on yur car r color coded . get a true factory service book in section 8 there will be a complete wiring diagram then its a matter of checking whats hot & whats not. its not hsrd just tome consuming . plus with the factory service manual there r check list /a schedule it will tell u what to look for . do u have 12 volts @ the switch? in & out? useing a good test light if u have a good 12 volts te light woll be good & bright if not it wil be dim
now u will need to know how to read the wiring diagram something they dont tech in schools anymore . if u cant figure it out find a of mopar mechanic on 50 yrs or old to help u . i learned what i know from my cousin hes 65 y/o

The good news is that I found the root of this problem while trying to hunt down another electrical problem. Turns out the (S2) connector on the ignition switch had come off.

IMG_20221007_130511002.jpg

My 69 300 was the hidden headlamp relay which i cant find. Gonna try a 3 prong switch without the top 2 wires which i think were for the sentinal system

Back