Headliner and Insulation replacement 68 Fury III HT

Knebel

Reaction score
How hard is it to replace the insulation and headliner on a 68 Fury III Hardtop without taking the glass out?

I have some nasty mildew grow and the headliner is trashed. Do I just need to take the trim off? I have a FSM but its not very clear to me how to get some of the trim pieces off!?

I cannot imagine that it is much different from my '68 Polara. Take the inside trim pieces off all around the rear window, windshield and roof rails. Mine all had screws.
I will say it will may be easier to install without the windshield and rear window as the spurs that the headliner attaches to to hold tight (front and rear) are very close to the windows, but should be doable. Keep track of the position of each bow. Mine were color coded. Also be careful not to break the bow clips.

Me being a purist (yes even when unseen) went with the original type material.
There are much better insulations today than that. Some use the reflective sticky stuff that is used on floors. Actually those same companies make it for headliners. I believe it weighs less than the floor stuff.
I just started googling head liner insulation until I found what I wanted. There are a lot of choices out there. Just make sure it sticks good so it doesn't droop. I think I have some pictures and advice in my restore link

Here is the link. I thought I had more on the source and advice from others on different material. If I am not mistaken this came from REM?
68 Polara restore back on

I used EZ-Cool insulation under a couple of mine now. Very light weight and very effective for blocking heat. Glue it up with 3M adhesive.

I'd use it again.

My supplier has retired, so I don't have a recommendation where to buy. Just google and go for price.

How hard is it to replace the insulation and headliner on a 68 Fury III Hardtop without taking the glass out?

I have some nasty mildew grow and the headliner is trashed. Do I just need to take the trim off? I have a FSM but its not very clear to me how to get some of the trim pieces off!?

This might give you some initial info/ideas:

'67 Newport headliner, windlace, and trim

FWIW, I had never done anything as involved as an interior spruce up/restoration.

Slow and steady, and lots and lots of pics/documentation/notes will help immensely.

Technically, I didn't need to remove any glass to to the headliner. The windshield had a couple of stars in it so I decided to replace it at the same time as the interior redo. Installing the headliner with no windshield in was much easier, but if your windshield is good, I would leave it be rather than risk trouble removing and reinstalling.

Hope the input helps.

John

My preference is have the glass out.
However you can cheat.
On the 69 Fury, we left the front windscreen in but had the rear window out for rust repairs.
Meet Maggie May!

Back