Headliner insulation material? What's right and what may fall down later?

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
There are numerous choices out there for headliner insulation it seems. I see some kits on E- bay from REM that look like the original white insulation, but at ~$70 seems a little steep. Plus there is not much explanation as to the material. It says jute, but I have never seen white jute insulation.
Headliner Insulation For Dodge C Body 1965-68 2 Door Hardtop Jute Made in USA | eBay

Then I found this one also REM that is stuffed in a bag but no real explanation for $50 with shipping.
DMPS-3118 Mopar Headliner Insulation - dantesparts.com
I have no idea if it is the same or not.
It looks just like regular jute insulation similar to what I put on the underside of the cowl on my interior that is about 3/8" thick that I can get at my local upholstery store for ~$3.00 a yard, but I question if it is too heavy or not.

I have been trying to stay as original as possible (yes even underneath stuff (I painted my trim clips back to the original color and I will never see them again))and have kind of looked at the foil but disregarded it.
Any suggestions or experience with the above would be appreciated. Also I don't need a kit, I really only need to know the right material.

Thank you

IMHO, I would stay away from the jute padding. Having seen what mice do to headliners, using a synthetic material that isn't appetizing to them is the way to go. The bonus is you get better heat and noise insulation. I've used this stuff. Very light and easy to work with and has fantastic heat insulating properties.

The supplier I've used has recently retired and they recommend this supplier: Car Insulation - Lightweight Thermal Sound Deadener

That looks just like what I put in my Polara. The entire floor back to the hump behind the rear seat and the roof has that material.

I used something similar to your first entry, but I don't think that description is accurate. It looks just like mine which is synthetic.

Scroll down a little here to see what it looks like installed:

'67 Newport headliner, windlace, and trim

Mine was 2 pieces. IMHO, much like plumbing or electrical work, less joints are better.

I ended up mitering the front and rear edges to take the hard edge off. When I started to install the headliner, the square edge showed under the fabric.

Overall I was very pleased with the product and results. Pretty sure it was from REM as well.

Hope the input helps.

John

What did you use to attach to roof, contact adhesive? Any recommendations as to type to use, as I am in Florida and heat can be intense in summer, so need something that would be able to stand heat. Thanks

What did you use to attach to roof, contact adhesive? Any recommendations as to type to use, as I am in Florida and heat can be intense in summer, so need something that would be able to stand heat. Thanks

I used Permatex spray adhesive. Came in an orange can. Still holding fine.

John

I ordered the kit from legendary/REM and it came in two pieces. I had to cut it to fit the three separate sections and tuck into the corners.

It was over sized enough that I had to cut to width (roof is tapered) and length for each section.

Back