Headliner replacement - 72 Fury

Interior

1. Analog Kid

Analog Kid Member

Since I've started driving my Fury the odor of the interior is starting to wear on me. It sat in a barn for ten years before I got it and it looks like mice had been living in the headliner. I didn't realize how bad it was until I took a trim piece off and mouse turds started pouring out.
    So needless to say....a new headliner is now a priority here.

My question is - what is the degree of difficulty in replacing a headliner in this car? Does the rear window need to be removed? Is this something I can take on myself or should I take it to an upholstery shop? I have never replaced a headliner before but if it is not worse than rebuilding the suspension then I can probably do it.

IMG_2376.JPG IMG_2377.JPG IMG_2379.JPG

2. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

My Photo Garage
    I would suggest that you read the section in the FSM that covers the replacement and judge for your self. The back window does not need to come out. The trim around all of the edges, the dry cleaner hooks, sun visors and dome light all need to removed. The fabric is held up by either steel or plastic rods that run thru pleats above the seams that are lifted up and out of their sockets to take them loose. I would suggest locating some of the plastic sockets before starting the job as they sometimes break. Be careful with the plastic trim around the edges also as it is often very brittle as well.

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  3. FURYGT

FURYGT Senior Member

Mouse dropping remnants are VERY unhealthy as are those odors that you have been inhaling. I suspect that the consensus will be to have a professional install the new headliner. You can save money by pulling the seats out. Good luck.

4. Big_John

Big_John Illegitimi non carborundum FCBO Gold Member

Mice will destroy a headliner once in there. To remove, tear some holes and stick a shop-vac hose in to suck out the padding and mouse poop... A mask is in order. Tear and vacuum as you go.

Installation can be tough. It depends on your patience and how good you are with upholstery. I'm OK with both and have done a lot of that type of work.... and I'm having a guy come over next weekend to do the headliner in my Barracuda. If you still want to do it, search youtube for installation videos.

Stock Interiors is a decent dealer for Acme Headliners. Get samples first, but they probably won't match exactly. SMS will probably have the correct material, but it will be 3x as much and will take longer to get.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MYSINBIN

MYSINBIN Well-Known Member

This might give you some insight:

'67 Newport headliner, windlace, and trim

I had never done a headliner before. I took a lot of patience pills to get through it.

I'm glad that I tried it and would probably do another.

Hope the input helps.

John

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. HWYCRZR

HWYCRZR Well-Known Member FCBO Gold Member

My Photo Garage
    I bought one of the 2x too much ones from SMS. It was about 5 weeks to get, but a perfect match. I read through the FSM and was going to do it, but my paint guys asked if I was installing the headliner or if they were. They could easily talk me into it.

7. LeBaron1973

LeBaron1973 Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

Since you're already paying for the paint job get them to do it.

8. Big_John

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  9. Analog Kid

Analog Kid Member

Update here - so I went ahead and removed the headliner. It was a messy job. Definitely needed the mask and gloves.

I'm glad I did it though. Not sure a professional shop would have cared enough to get all the mouse crap out that could be found. There was a lot of it....even buried behind the sail panels.

I'm leaning towards doing the replacement headliner myself so I'm getting some samples sent from Stock Interiors. I might also take the opportunity now since I've got most of the interior out to do some rust prevention on the floors and maybe install some sound deadening material. Might also look at new carpet.

Question here - any ideas on what to use to replace the card board backing behind the sail panels? I cleaned these but they are still a bit nasty.

IMG_2399.JPG
    IMG_2392.JPG IMG_2394.JPG

10. Big_John

I watched the guy put the headliner in my Barracuda today... My advice is to have it done. It was a lot of hard work and you have to pull and stretch in just the right directions to get it right. You need a heat gun, but you can destroy the headliner pretty easy if you don't know what you're doing.

[​IMG]

11. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

My Photo Garage

The sail panels could probably be coated with clear lacquer on both sides. That would seal any remaining foul odor.

Dave

12. HWYCRZR

My Photo Garage
    A quick wipe with vinegar and ammonia (mixed in water) will help some, but as said above maybe clear lacquer on both sides to seal the remaining smell in.

13. Joesportfury

Joesportfury New Member

In the past I have coated cardboard door panels with fiberglass resin.Waterproof and makes them a lot less delicate to work with.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Analog Kid

Analog Kid Member

Hey guys,

I've got the car at an upholstery shop now getting the headliner installed but the guy just called me and said it doesn't fit. This is what I bought from Stock Interiors - Model 21300 - 1972 Plymouth Fury Bow Style Headliner, Sport Fury, Gran Fury, 2 Door Hard Top Sports Roof Fastback

1972 Plymouth Fury Sport Fury, Gran Fury, 2 Door Hard Top Sports Roof Fastback Bow Style Headliner Kit

Should I have gotten this one?
    Model 21301 - 1972 Plymouth Fury Bow Style Headliner, Fury II, 2 Door Hard Top Formal Roof

1972 Plymouth Fury Fury II, 2 Door Hard Top Formal Roof Bow Style Headliner Kit

The car is a PH29 - doesn't that mean Sports Hard top? But it also means Formal roof as well - right?

I'm a bit confused here. My guy is calling ACME who is actually the manufacturer of the headliner to try and sort it out but I wanted to run it by the forum to hear what you guys say.

15. HWYCRZR

My Photo Garage
    PH29 is the 2dr sports H/T per the 72 Parts book. Also per the book the H should be a Fury III.
    I honestly don't know which of the pictures below are the PH23 or the PH29. The Fastback is on top. The pictures are not that clear, but can maybe tell from the window profiles.

upload_2018-10-29_15-32-51.png
    upload_2018-10-29_15-34-0.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1