Heads and cam ?

polara383500

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I have a stuck valve! The ? Is if I put stealth heads on with factory rockers and do a cam swap I shouldn’t have to do the converter right? I was thinking of the comp cams thumpr cam!

Depends on what cam. Keep it under 230* if you want to use the stock converter

"Which" stock converter? "Low Stall" 10.75" or "High Stall" 10.75" or the 11.75" converter that many cars came with? The '78 Chrysler service manual quotes stall speeds between 2500-2800rpm for some B/RB engines, for example.

What are the Comp Cams recommendations as to converter looseness and rear axle ratio?

Why not fix the heads you have?

Just curious,
CBODY67

"Which" stock converter? "Low Stall" 10.75" or "High Stall" 10.75" or the 11.75" converter that many cars came with? The '78 Chrysler service manual quotes stall speeds between 2500-2800rpm for some B/RB engines, for example.

What are the Comp Cams recommendations as to converter looseness and rear axle ratio?

Why not fix the heads you have?

Just curious,
CBODY67
That's what I'm probably gonna do is fix the! Just don't know where to get them done in Ma? Don't know where a machine shop is around here and what it's gonna cost? Where can you by full valve kits?

Valves are usually sold individually, but valve springs are usually sold in "sets". The gaskets and seals to do a valve job are usually sold in "a set", but some items can also be purchased individually. I suspect you'll spend less to fix what you have than to purchase new heads (especially if they come assembled).

Which part of MA are you in?

Take care,
CBODY67

Valves are usually sold individually, but valve springs are usually sold in "sets". The gaskets and seals to do a valve job are usually sold in "a set", but some items can also be purchased individually. I suspect you'll spend less to fix what you have than to purchase new heads (especially if they come assembled).

Which part of MA are you in?

Take care,
CBODY67
Dartmouth,Ma
Mancini sells valve kits with keepers and locks! 185$ for each set!

There used to be Hess Machine in Fitchburg MA. I have not used them since the 1990's and they have new owners now. A few in Conn. You could ask @FURYGT as he used to live there till recently.

There used to be Hess Machine in Fitchburg MA. I have not used them since the 1990's and they have new owners now. A few in Conn. You could ask @FURYGT as he used to live there till recently.

I heard of motor tech in New Bedford! You from around here turbo?

I am presently in Western MA. I also live in Hopkinton but not lately.
I have not heard of Motor Tech but that means nothing.

If you are set or interested in the thumper cam ,give Comp cams a call and ask about what torque converter you can use. If you want to port cast iron heads and such the price will go up a lot. Stealth heads I have heard will flow as much or more than fully ported iron heads straight out of the box and could be cheaper at 1000 bucks a pair. Also they look stock if painted if that is a concern. But I guess with a thumper cam you don't want that lol.

If you are set or interested in the thumper cam ,give Comp cams a call and ask about what torque converter you can use. If you want to port cast iron heads and such the price will go up a lot. Stealth heads I have heard will flow as much or more than fully ported iron heads straight out of the box and could be cheaper at 1000 bucks a pair. Also they look stock if painted if that is a concern. But I guess with a thumper cam you don't want that lol.

Im gonna pull the heads this wk sometime I’m backfiring out the exhaust side where I had a bent pushrod! I think I have a couple stuck valves! I was gonna look at the thumpr cam a guy said I could go with some like that with stock vert it’s!! I heard it’s made just to give you the sound of a big cam but it’s not!!

I've never tested for stuck valves but with the rockers off and stock springs, if you get yourself well positioned you'll be able to exert enough force to open the valves. I just use a block of wood.
It's easy to do with a head on the ground standing over it, I've never tried in the car but I would before yanking the heads. You might also have burnt or sunk valves. Leak down test could help you

I've never tested for stuck valves but with the rockers off and stock springs, if you get yourself well positioned you'll be able to exert enough force to open the valves. I just use a block of wood.
It's easy to do with a head on the ground standing over it, I've never tried in the car but I would before yanking the heads. You might also have burnt or sunk valves. Leak down test could help you
I did a compression test and the whole pass side is way off from the driver side! When I bought the car the guy couldn’t tell me how long it was sitting!!

If your problems are primarily limited to your heads you could send them to Dwayne Porter in Vermont to have them cleaned up and rebuilt correctly. Porter head services. TurboOmni can provide details.

If your problems are primarily limited to your heads you could send them to Dwayne Porter in Vermont to have them cleaned up and rebuilt correctly. Porter head services. TurboOmni can provide details.
I was trying to take the exhaust manifold off that side this morning I stop cause this bolt head stripped on the left!so not sure how I’m gonna get it off!!

B65AAEEF-9411-41DE-8929-0C5BA798FA0E.jpeg

Heat from a torch before you started. Now clean it up and weld a nut on the end. Those shouldered bolts are buggers

The Thumper cams sound very cool and I just installed one in my 83 C10 rebuilt 350. Be careful which one you choose, the Mother Thumper in the 350 doesn't make enough vacuum to operate the power brakes at idle. I knew this going in so I had a vacuum pump on hand to cure the issue.

Well I got the heads off and there pretty bad! Three exhaust bolts snapped off! All the pistons have marks on them where the valves have hit them! So there is bigger issue! Now just have to get a hoist to pull the motor to check the bottom end! I’m most likely just going to stroke it! I see that 440source has to 383 kits I think it make since to go to the 496! Input greatly appreciated!

Many guys here and FBBO and elsewhere have used 440 Source stroker kits. I am having a mild 440 stroker 512 motor almost finished so I can't give you a report other than the builder was impressed with the kit. Stroking your 383 to almost 500 cubes would be much easier than installing a 440 in your car with all the different brackets and such. Do your research. Go to FBBO as there is a lot of info there too. Sorry about your findings but it is also exciting news about the possibilities to fix your problem!!

Many guys here and FBBO and elsewhere have used 440 Source stroker kits. I am having a mild 440 stroker 512 motor almost finished so I can't give you a report other than the builder was impressed with the kit. Stroking your 383 to almost 500 cubes would be much easier than installing a 440 in your car with all the different brackets and such. Do your research. Go to FBBO as there is a lot of info there too. Sorry about your findings but it is also exciting news about the possibilities to fix your problem!!
What is FBBO? Lol

Back