Heater Core replacement

chry73luv

Reaction score
I wanted to know how difficult and how much time involved in replacing a heater core in a 1973 Chrysler Newport 400 engine with air and can it be done without taking out glovebox ? I have the service manual explaining what to do but wanted feedback and tips from ones who have done it.Thanks

If you put in the search engine, 73 Newport heater core replacement, I’m sure there’s several threads on the subject, maybe even for your exact car.

Get a factory service manual. It is what the mechanics (they weren't called techs yet) used back in the day when they had one to do for the first time or for a reference later on. You can get them now on cd-rom or printed repopped ones. It will pay for itself the first time you use it and for any other project you have down the road.

You don't need the internet, you don't need the service manual. You need to go out to the car and get your hands dirty.

It's a heater core, find the bolts, drop the unit, swap core, install.

Sorry if this is rude but that is how we got stuff done before the internet.

Alan

The short answer is changing the heater core on a '73 Newport is a PIA. The glove box, heater control and radio all have to come out to get to the air box. The heater core and the A/C evaporator are both mounted in the air box. The heater hoses and A/C connections are removed from under the hood. There are several bolts that hold in the heater box also under the hood. On many models, the wiring harness is also in the way and will need to be propped up. www.mymopar.com has the FSM for free download. If you have an ATC equipped car, it is very important to note the position of the many vacuum hoses that run the system so that they can be reassembled in the proper order. You might also want to check the availability of the '73 heater core for an A/C car as the supply has been spotty. You will also need a new air box gasket set to reseal it on reinstall.

Dave

Last edited:
I wanted to know how difficult and how much time involved in replacing a heater core in a 1973 Chrysler Newport 400 engine with air and can it be done without taking out glovebox ? I have the service manual explaining what to do but wanted feedback and tips from ones who have done it.Thanks
I haven't done one, so I can't tell you 100%, but after doing the dash/heater box in my '70, I don't have much doubt that the glove box will have to come out.

@Davea Lux mentioned radio and heater controls and it wouldn't surprise me if they needed to come out too. It's not an easy job, space for working is limited, but it can be done. Take your time, read the FSM etc.

One tip to save a mess!! Take a shop vac and suck the coolant out of the heater core first so it doesn't spill all over the interior when you are pulling it out.

It is my understanding that once you unbolt the assembly it Rolls out, no need to remove anything not attached to the unit.
The engine side housing will stay in the car, no need to pull the inner fender to remove it.

Alan

I kept thinking someone wrote a procedure and I found it. It's for a '71, so it should be close, and now I've bookmarked it for myself.

Post #97 in this thread. Replace heater core

It is my understanding that once you unbolt the assembly it Rolls out, no need to remove anything not attached to the unit.
The engine side housing will stay in the car, no need to pull the inner fender to remove it.

Alan
I does roll out, problem is that the space is really tight. Radio needs to be out so that the harness can be pushed up and out of the way. Heater control obstructs the roll out as does the glove box.

Dave

I does roll out, problem is that the space is really tight. Radio needs to be out so that the harness can be pushed up and out of the way. Heater control obstructs the roll out as does the glove box.

Dave
Maybe it would be easier to just pull the complete dash assembly.

Alan

I have done these a couple of times. To answer your questions, yes you must remove the glove box. The center and right ducts need removed. If you have a center console remove it. Remove the floor duct. With these removed, remove the pass. seat and pulling back on the carpet greatly aids in heater box removal. When removing the heater box, use great care in removing nuts at the firewall as they are notorious for seizing up and breaking the heater box. See photos below. If seized up, try penetrating oil. If that doesn't work, split the nut W/ a Dremel tool and crack the nut.

20210318_000701.jpg

20210318_000728.jpg

Back