Heater hose routing.

Dsertdog

Old man with an old guitar, and a blue note.
Reaction score
Hello again!
I'm looking for a photo or diagram of the proper way to run my heater hoses. I did the usual forum search and found very little. I thought there was a photo in the FSM but couldn't find it.
This is on my '66 Polara, 383, with air. It has both the alternator and valve cover bracket mount for heater hoses.
Thanks!

This may help. '68 Fury 383-2V with a/c. Both heater hoses should run through the bracket on top of the alternator.

Engine Compartment Before.JPG

This may help. '68 Fury 383-2V with a/c. Both heater hoses should run through the bracket on top of the alternator.
View attachment 277757

Wow, that's ugly! Does that heater hose run under the exhaust manifold?

I found this browsing through other threads...
EngineBay1.jpg

Should a '66 Polara look more like this?
I have the same size radiator, alternator and thermostat housing.

View attachment 277773

Yes. That's @rexus31 's 65 I think. Look for his car pics to get an EXACT correct reference pic.

Yes. That's @rexus31 's 65 I think. Look for his car pics to get an EXACT correct reference pic.

View attachment 277773

Thanks, Ross. Yup, my '65 pictured. I'm not sure if the AC line looped around like that on '66 cars or not but the heater hoses route over the alternator on a cradle, through an aluminum retainer that mounts to the Passenger side valve cover then attach to the heater core. I think this would be the the same on all Slabbies if they have factory AC or not. Here's a better shot of my engine compartment.

35628302212_5d8280fb7a_b.jpg

The AC hose looped if it was a long one, and didn't if it was short. Not sure if it was a vendor difference or a mid year change. I'm thinking vendor.

Note that his car has the correct 65-66 alternator heater hose bracket. Often lost and replaced with an incorrect version. Repops are also incorrect.

@rexus31 - something I didn't notice before:
Your driver side inner fender has 3 black plugs in it - was it from an autopilot equipped car?

I put a video on my restoration thread. I must have the incorrect alternator bracket it doesn't look anything like the one on this '65. Strange....the negative cable was, still had engine paint over spray on the pigtail
Oh well, it's not the end of the world, but I wonder if the motor is original. It's certainly a pre '68 with no VIN on the block.
Ross, if you look at the video and see anything else incorrect, let me know. Thank you!

The AC hose looped if it was a long one, and didn't if it was short. Not sure if it was a vendor difference or a mid year change. I'm thinking vendor.

Note that his car has the correct 65-66 alternator heater hose bracket. Often lost and replaced with an incorrect version. Repops are also incorrect.

@rexus31 - something I didn't notice before:
Your driver side inner fender has 3 black plugs in it - was it from an autopilot equipped car?

I’ve often wondered that. My car has all original sheet metal and was not originally equipped with Auto Pilot. Did the stamp they holes in all of them?

Back