Heater motor removal.

John Kirby

Reaction score
Have a new heater motor for my 66 Nyer with AC. Was unable to get the squirrel cage off. loosened the allen screws but it seems to be rusted on after over 50 years. Mounting nuts under the hood came off easily. It's in a lousy location to work on. Don't want to have to remove the heater box. Anyone have any ideas on removing it? I can remove the glove box but it will self destruct in the process. That would help with access. Is an aftermarket replacement available?

Have a new heater motor for my 66 Nyer with AC. Was unable to get the squirrel cage off. loosened the allen screws but it seems to be rusted on after over 50 years. Mounting nuts under the hood came off easily. It's in a lousy location to work on. Don't want to have to remove the heater box. Anyone have any ideas on removing it? I can remove the glove box but it will self destruct in the process. That would help with access. Is an aftermarket replacement available?
1965 1966 Chrysler 300 Newport New Yorker Mopar NEW GLOVE BOX USA Made | eBay

If it's like my 68 it should come out through the firewall with no need to remove the box from under the dash. A picture of the motor and the nuts you removed would be helpful.

There are three nuts that mount the fan. There is also three sheet metal screws around the outer edge, they have a 1/4" head IIRC. These will allow you to remove the fan.

Last edited:
I removed the screws and nuts and the fan does not come out through the engine bay. No way the squirrel cage will fit through the ~3 " hole. The three screws appear to do nothing. Looks like the glove box needs to be removed.
thumbnail.jpg

My 66 Monaco FSM says it should all come out from the engine side of the firewall by removing the sheet metal screws and pulling motor and fan out as an assembly. I am following as I may want to do the same, where did you get the replacement motor?

My 66 Monaco FSM says it should all come out from the engine side of the firewall by removing the sheet metal screws and pulling motor and fan out as an assembly. I am following as I may want to do the same, where did you get the replacement motor?
rock auto

My 66 Chrysler service manual says to remove the heater assy. Maybe you don't have AC.

My 66 Chrysler service manual says to remove the heater assy. Maybe you don't have AC.
I was looking at the heater section when I wrote this. The A/C section describes removing it from the engine side. I used a brake adjusting tool and a screwdriver to pry it out of the unit. It took a while, over 55 years since it was built to come apart. Using a piece of allthread and a hammer I was able to get the wheel off the motor shaft. I cleaned everything up and am now starting reassembly.

I was looking at the heater section when I wrote this. The A/C section describes removing it from the engine side. I used a brake adjusting tool and a screwdriver to pry it out of the unit. It took a while, over 55 years since it was built to come apart. Using a piece of allthread and a hammer I was able to get the wheel off the motor shaft. I cleaned everything up and am now starting reassembly. I'll post some photos.

I was looking at the heater section when I wrote this. The A/C section describes removing it from the engine side. I used a brake adjusting tool and a screwdriver to pry it out of the unit. It took a while, over 55 years since it was built to come apart. Using a piece of allthread and a hammer I was able to get the wheel off the motor shaft. I cleaned everything up and am now starting reassembly.
Can you post some pictures of the motor / fan assembly that show its size? My concern is that I have dual A/C and there are a lot of hoses in the way...

DSCF6229.JPG

I have a lot more stuff in the way. Had to disconnect some heater hoses to get them out of the way. The fuel lines were also in the way, I was able to move them over enough to get the motor out. Here's what the motor looks like after cleaning, painting and rebuild:
motor.jpg

After reinstall:
installed.jpg

As you can see there were several hoses, etc in the way. The tricky part was the A/C line running in front of it. I was able to very gently move it upward a bit to create access. And move it back down when done.

Heat and A/C work again. Now on to the left rear wheel and brakes. With a little luck maybe I can make it to the Summit Nationals at the Tx Motor speedway in a couple weeks.

I have a lot more stuff in the way. Had to disconnect some heater hoses to get them out of the way. The fuel lines were also in the way, I was able to move them over enough to get the motor out. Here's what the motor looks like after cleaning, painting and rebuild:View attachment 556192
After reinstall:View attachment 556193
As you can see there were several hoses, etc in the way. The tricky part was the A/C line running in front of it. I was able to very gently move it upward a bit to create access. And move it back down when done.

Heat and A/C work again. Now on to the left rear wheel and brakes. With a little luck maybe I can make it to the Summit Nationals at the Tx Motor speedway in a couple weeks.
Good work!

Back