Heavy Duty Trucks Emissions Testing

Dan Scully

Reaction score
I, am sure this will not drive up the costs of anything. :wtf:

CARB unveils ‘Smog Check’ for trucks at enforcement event at Port of Los Angeles | California Air Resources Board

SACRAMENTO – The California Air Resources Board (CARB) recently previewed the Heavy-Duty Inspection and Maintenance Program (HD I/M), which is due to begin phasing in on Jan. 1, 2023, at an enforcement truck event held at the Port of Los Angeles. CARB used the event, where more than 1200 trucks were screened, to help make owners and operators aware of the new ‘smog check’ requirements for heavy-duty vehicles and the phase-in timeline. The program is the first in the nation of its kind and will ensure that emissions control systems on heavy-duty vehicles operate effectively for the life of the vehicle, improving air quality and protecting public health.

The HD I/M program will apply to all heavy-duty trucks, buses, agricultural equipment and personal motorhomes with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 pounds travelling in the state regardless of whether they are registered in California.

“The Heavy-Duty Inspection and Maintenance Program will ensure that the emissions control equipment in heavy-duty trucks does its job capturing and removing harmful emissions for the life of the vehicle. And, if we discover it’s not working properly, it will be repaired quickly,” said CARB Chair Liane Randolph. “This will save owners and operators in fuel costs and deliver significant improvements in air quality and public health especially in communities adjacent to highways, ports and warehouses that suffer from persistent air pollution as a result of heavy traffic.”

While the heavy-duty vehicles under this program comprise only 3 percent of all vehicles on California roads, they are responsible for more than half of all harmful smog-causing pollution and fine particulate matter from mobile sources in the state

By ensuring that trucks continue to run clean for the life of the vehicle, the new program is expected to deliver $75 billion in health benefits, prevent 7,500 air-quality related deaths and 6,000 hospitalizations and emergency room visits from 2023 to 2050. These benefits are 18 times the estimated cost of the program at $4 billion.

In the first phase of the program, beginning in January 2023, the Portable Emissions Acquisition System (PEAQS) – a roadside monitoring system that measures truck emissions – will be deployed in various areas to screen for potential high-emitting vehicles operating on California roads. The detection/monitoring system was unveiled at the enforcement event at the Port of Los Angeles.

Vehicles flagged by the monitoring devices will be required to undergo an additional emissions test to verify their emissions-control equipment is functioning properly and repair any malfunctioning emission control equipment, if necessary.

In mid-2023, phase two of the HD I/M program requires all heavy-duty trucks to register with CARB and obtain a certificate of compliance to operate in the state.

In 2024, in the last phase of the program, heavy-duty truck registration in California will require proof of emissions compliance with the HD I/M Program. Emissions inspections will need to be performed twice a year for vehicles with onboard diagnostic (OBD) systems, increasing to four times per year testing in 2027.

Emissions inspections are designed to minimize downtime and the inconvenience to owners/ operators. Unlike passenger car smog checks, heavy-duty vehicle owners will be able to complete the required test and deliver emissions systems inspection information remotely without having to travel to designated testing locations. The test can be conducted anywhere using the truck’s OBD system or stand-alone scan tool provided it’s performed by a CARB-credentialed tester using a CARB-certified readout device. It is projected that 75 to 80% of all heavy-duty trucks will have OBD equipment that can utilize telematics technology – that is, sending the data automatically – when the program begins.

Older heavy-duty vehicles without an OBD system will continue the current opacity testing requirements with an added visual testing component, twice each year.

"Black rollers" beware, lol

"all heavy-duty trucks will have OBD equipment that can utilize telematics technology – that is, sending the data automatically – when the program begins."

Holy...

I wonder when they're going to redflag the old Mopars?

Its just a matter of a year or two before most new HD vehicles in this segment go all electric with either batteries or fuel cells enabled by renewable energy. I expect Elon Musk will own this market as well in the near future. He doesn't sit on his hands just waiting for someone else to make the needed moves like some of the tired old men that run some of these companies.

How many new diesel light duty vehicles do you see available anymore or planned for production?

"Black rollers" beware, lol

I wonder when they're going to redflag the old Mopars?

Old mopars don't contribute enough emissions to make a dent in smog or climate change emissions due to the relatively small number of these vehicles still on the road or the miles they drive. California has exempted light duty vehicles model year 1975 and older from all smog check emission tests some 10 years ago for this reason. It is unlikely to change either due to the emission modeling conducted by the CA Air Resources Board back in the 2010 timeframe.

Last edited:
California will also require all Diesel PICKUPS and CARS to endure the same nonsense in the 2025 time frame. Also, being a visitor will NOT exempt you, unless your stay in CA is 72 hours or less. Out-of-state registration will not be an "out" for you. Oh, yeah, and RVs will not be exempt, either; as this will affect ALL Diesel-powered recreational vehicles over 14K# GVW...which means every Class A, B, or C you can think of.

They've already put the brakes on the use of ALL pre-2012MY Diesel heavy trucks and buses, including school and church buses.

And yet, Newsom (the nephew of the Pelosi lifeform) wants all ICE vehicles banned for sale in CA after 2025???

Last edited:
Not sure what's so funny about that? California is practically guaranteeing the death of tourism there.

California will also require all Diesel PICKUPS and CARS to endure the same nonsense in the 2025 time frame. Also, being a visitor will NOT exempt you, unless your stay in CA is 72 hours or less. Out-of-state registration will not be an "out" for you. Oh, yeah, and RVs will not be exempt, either; as this will affect ALL Diesel-powered recreational vehicles over 14K# GVW...which means every Class A, B, or C you can think of.

They've already put the brakes on the use of ALL pre-2012MY Diesel heavy trucks and buses, including school and church buses.

And yet, Newsom (the nephew of the Pelosi lifeform) wants all ICE vehicles banned for sale in CA after 2025???
Did not see anything referencing cars, this was just heavy-duty diesels. The below still applies to cars as far as I know.

Gasoline-powered vehicles, hybrid vehicles, and alternative-fuel vehicles that are model-year 1976 and newer require a Smog Check, with the following exceptions:

• Eight model years and newer do not require a biennial Smog Check.
  • Four model years and newer do not require a change-of-ownership Smog Check.
To determine the first year a vehicle requires a biennial or change-of-ownership Smog Check, add eight or four, respectively, to the model year of a vehicle.

For example, a 2020 model-year vehicle will first be subject to a biennial Smog Check in 2028 (2020 + 8 = 2028). That same vehicle will require a change-of-ownership Smog Check if sold in or after 2024 (2020 + 4 = 2024).

I'll look for the reference that spoke of what I wrote. But RVs, out-of-state vehicles and even farm tractors are involved.

Basically 14 k gvw and above diesel powered. Is what I see.

The HD I/M program will apply to all heavy-duty trucks, buses, agricultural equipment and personal motorhomes with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 pounds travelling in the state regardless of whether they are registered in California..

I believe some of the latter comments apply to the diesel retrofit program wherein diesel vehicles and even heavy equipment off road diesel vehicles with no emission controls or that have very early ones with marginal controls need to be retrofitted with some basic particulate filters that are capable of self regeneration and so on. It is an expensive and unpopular rule with the owners of such vehicles/equipment but with so many people that want to live here and the resulting emissions from diesels that impact more of the poorer folks out here that live around the very busy ports, farmlands, etc., something had to be done to improve the health of those communities because lung cancers and other cancers are linked to diesel exhaust emissions and diesel off road vehicles just keep being used since they last forever.

As for the rest of us, I doubt there are many residents who would care if we had less tourism since the freeways are already way over crowded. People want to live here because up until the recent climate change effects at least, this state has probably the best weather in the nation with great scenery and the economy is strong because we have good governors and smart businessmen and well educated residents that make the economy so strong.

The Smog Check program is not the same as the diesel retrofit emission control program. I believe that is the source of confusion.

Like I said near the beginning of this thread, it won't be long before these HD diesels will be obsolete, just like with cars, since better technology is on its way that will need no smog check testing ever since they will emit no emissions themselves but there are still emissions from powerplants that generate the electrical energy for the state to run these new vehicles and that is why the emphasis out here at least is getting as many renewable energy plants in operation as possible to avoid powerplant emissions altogether. This includes solar, wind, nuclear and many other renewable sources still being developed.

The attitude in this state is that we want to be at the forefront of renewable energy sources so we can sell the technology to the rest of the world. This is where Elon Musk started and many more like him think accordingly. That is why we are the 5th largest economy in the world - forward thinking and not afraid of new technology or the unknowns.
There is a difference between "afraid of new technology" and "none of the infrastructure exists and won't exist for at least 30 years". Fairy farts and sunshine can not and will not be able to support anything unless you carpet 100% of the land with solar cells that decompose rapidly, and windmills that have a life of only 7-15 years. None of these materials are recyclable! Batteries? We don't have the infrastructure to go cold turkey on this nonsense. We don't have the $$$. What idiot dumps current, proven and plentiful energy wholesale, for pipe dreams? Newsome, Biden, AOC and many more. All committed to making all of us poor, cold/hot, immobile, and hungry.

Its getting hotter here than ever before so we are going to do something about it, not just sit on our hands and wring them everyday waiting for a miracle. This thread is getting too political so I am out of this discussion. If you guys want to believe that EVs are not the future, then fine. None of the major car companies are with you - none. What do they know that you don't? They don't make investments in loser technologies. There won't be any new sales on non-EVs anyway since the manufacturers know combustion engines are not going to sell anyway. So I see the mandate by our governor is pretty much a non-issue.

I personally am not against EV cars. I'm just thinking that the government legislators seem to be pushing the mandates faster than the engineers are improving the technology. Obviously the nation's infrastructure needs drastic upgrading especially to our power grid. Homes will have to have chargers installed and the environmental impact of manufacturing and disposal needs to be addressed. Also right now with chip shortages and supply chain issues the manufacturer's can't keep up with the demand for the same cars and trucks they've been building for years. Not sure how they will repopulate the world with a new type of transportation so fast. I recently read a book that talked about in the early 1900's NYC was trying to push the new technology of the automobile because the pollution from the huge piles of horse **** was getting unbearable. I hope we're not in for a repeat of swapping one harmful to the environment mode of transportation for another.

Last edited:
man i see some trucks just drive by weight and inspection stations on california freeways and highways . and no chp casing them down . how the hell could they inspect and do a exhaust test on these freight haulers , california should be setting there sites on all the city cars and busses along with in town delivery vehicles before they slow commerce down to a stand still . its not been but a few years ago california would not issue reg or lic older big rigs and trucks working in california had to buy new trucks or restrict their miles on their hauls . and now this . well i guess its all part of california having the trains shut down their big d generators and get their electric power through the tracks . california's need for eletrical vehicles or ev's need to charge up as well . our power system is over worked and over loaded now , the future has more demand on clean power , and now it solar to the rescue , lol .

I foresee a significant drop in out of state visitors to Glamis, national parks, etc in the near future.
Welp you can thank the assholes that mod their trucks to 'Roll Coal' and think it's pretty hilarious to do it every chance they get. The EPA is going after one such UTube garage that mod's trucks, I don't think they are in California, somewhere in the Mid-West IIRC. Cali did the same thing to Jesse James, Boyd Coddington, Yoshimura exhaust etc. I haven't checked up on the UTube garage guys to see if they took the plea bargain settlement (shake down) for like $18k or if they were going to fight it and maybe lose $100k+.

Same thing goes for the Exotic car UTube jackasses from North of our border when they come down here with out of country reg's with straight flame throwing exhaust systems. the cops are getting sick of them. When they were in lockdown up north their content was very minimal as the Canadian police wouldn't put up with their ****.

Their excuse of 'I'm just visiting' really isn't cutting it anymore.

Solar power is a really hot topic.

Canadia had the most wicked muscle cars back when I visited. Tire tracks all over the roads in BC as witness.

Coal rollers, we got em.

But even without rolling the coal, I just love experiences like an F250 passing on the right, on a hill, then cutting you off at the top, then hitting the brakes, on the open road at 60mph, almost as if trying to cause an accident.

Then you see the ahole ten miles later, he's one car ahead of you in the other lane at a light, good thing so you can't see each other face to face...

Last edited:
Back