Heavy Duty Universal Joint for a '70 New Yorker?

330dTA

Reaction score
Which would be correct? Rockauto gives two alternatives regarding the yoke outside diameter, one with 2-1/8", and another with 2-5/8". Mancini Racing does not give diameter, but instead refers to 7260-style, and 7290-style. I am not familiar with these, and the garage is too far away (200 mls) for me to go check and measure. I suppose they are referring to same thing, the diameter, but which one would be correct? Or better still, would either one fit? (If so, I will take the thicker one, of course).

7260 is 2-1/8", 7290 is 2-5/8".

upload_2018-9-15_10-43-3.png

I'd recommend not worrying about the "heavy duty" or similar nomenclature. Just match what's in the car.

Now, as for "strength" within a particular u-joint spec, we always associated greasable u-joints as being the best, BUT, those drilled grease passages in the joint can basically weaken it. BUT in a stock vehicle, that's usually not an issue as the joint is strong enough to take the power of the engine it is behind and the traction provided by the tires the vehicle came with.

Another issue is to get a name-brand item which has better metal and hardness in the trunnion/bearing cap needle bearing contact area. Some of the cheaper brands have softer metal in this area, which CAN compromise ultimate durability. Name brands are generally more expensive, but the trade-off is worth the added expense.

CBODY67

Thanks for info and comments! My problem is the garage is 200 miles away, so going into the garage to take measures is not an option, at this stage at least.

Unfortunately no real way to guarantee which is installed without measuring. I'd guess it's likely a 7290, but that's only a guess with no surety of accuracy.

Unfortunately no real way to guarantee which is installed without measuring. I'd guess it's likely a 7290, but that's only a guess with no surety of accuracy.

I wouldn't presume what size is in a specific car.

Is the "garage" a storage facility or a business? That might explain a few things.

Thanks,
CBODY67

If you look at the '70 parts manual, in the "Propeller Shaft" section, you'll see the shafts listed with the style of U-joint. Virtually all the 440 C-bodies use the 7290 u-joint.

That doesn't mean that there wasn't a swap somewhere in the car's history, but if everything is original, it will be a 7290 u-joint. All the 440 cars I've ever owned had the 7290 u-joint.

Is the "garage" a storage facility or a business? That might explain a few things.
It's a storage facility. And it's 200 miles away. Because it's cheaper there. Approximately 1/5th of the cost would be around here. And I have a very busy work schedule. There's no way I can take a day off to get some measurements.

If you look at the '70 parts manual, in the "Propeller Shaft" section, you'll see the shafts listed with the style of U-joint. Virtually all the 440 C-bodies use the 7290 u-joint. That doesn't mean that there wasn't a swap somewhere in the car's history, but if everything is original, it will be a 7290 u-joint. All the 440 cars I've ever owned had the 7290 u-joint.
Thank you! This is the kind of first hand information I was looking for. Close enough for now; I will order a pair of type 7290 from Rockauto.

Back