HELP Engine just shut off

Dhink802

Reaction score
75 Coronet 400/4bbl, just quit running while ideling in driveway. Will not restart. Sounds different then before. Where should I start? Fuel sys? or Ele sys? and what about that ballast resistor?

Pop the hood, look at the engine and not know what you're looking at, look around helplessly, shut the hood, and go to bed.
Call a garage for tow service in the morning.

Check for spark. Check for fuel at carb. then start narrowing down the culprits. Start with the basics. could you be out of gas?

We weed them out early here...
Seriously, how the heck were we supposed to diagnose it????

75 Coronet 400/4bbl, just quit running while ideling in driveway. Will not restart. Sounds different then before. Where should I start? Fuel sys? or Ele sys? and what about that ballast resistor? HELP Dale 419-351-4401 [email protected]

:Groaner: SOME PEOPLE???? i would do a compression test first, since you say is sounds different could have jumped time? nylon gears an is very common. also could be valvetrain related.

Last edited:
Everyone has something to say with keyboard muscles, theres the number call Dale and find out what happened......:toilet04:

Everyone has something to say with keyboard muscles, theres the number call Dale and find out what happened......:toilet04:
He was having a girly man panic attack. If he was really interested he would have come back for AT LEAST a second post.

Hi Guys! It was the timing chain. Original aluminum timing gear was almost smooth with all the teeth almost gone. THANKS ANYWAY,
and YES, I will probably not waste my time posting here again.....

Hi Guys! It was the timing chain. Original aluminum timing gear was almost smooth with all the teeth almost gone. THANKS ANYWAY,

Your welcome. Jeeezzz, talk about gratitude.

Its not your time your wasting its our time your wasting...............
Then again we need more like you too beat up on:tool:

excuse the dumb q, but if it doesn't start then how does it 'sound different than before?' perhaps it jumped timing or something, that might be the only way I know of for it to sound different without it actually running.

Back