Help identifying brake booster

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I pulled this off of the ‘68 New Yorker. As you can see it’s a basic single diaphragm drum brake booster w/ matching drum MC. The question is, I don’t believe this is factory. I’ve posted about it on the C Body Mopar Owners group on FB but wanted to see what you thought here!!

Also, is it a booster that would be desirable for a C Body? I am upgrading to disc brakes and have the 68 dual diaphragm disc brake booster so I don’t need this. I’d rather sell it than toss it! That is, again if it’s desirable…

FE87E36B-432C-4152-8059-5ECC4EB01833.jpeg

9E385462-D192-40E6-86B4-FAABB592580E.jpeg

961D6395-31C6-458B-8967-6D791FB386BC.jpeg

Stripping the firewall down to absolutely nothing. Trying to figure out how to get the blower motor off as the “hamster wheel” is blocking it from coming out :BangHead: But it’s coming along!

65CD868D-C7A2-430A-A21D-F82C3384DC1E.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks to be a Bendix single diaphragm booster used with drum brakes. Can be used as a substitute for Midland Ross booster and was sold as a replacement for that purpose. Could be a core for someone converting from manual drums to power drums.

Dave

Last edited:
Looks to be aBendix single diaphragm booster used with drum brakes. Can be used as a substitute for Midland Ross booster and was sold as a replacement for that purpose. Could be a core for someone converting from manual drums to power drums.

Dave
That’s what I’ve heard about it too. Cool, I will have to post it up here for sale in the future.

The squirrel cage shouldn't be blocking your progress. There are three small sheet metal screws around the outside edge of the blower motor that hols it in. I think they are 1/4"

I removed the 3, and the motor pulls out only so far until the squirrel cage gets stuck as it’s too big to come out the hole. I think I have to get to it after I drop the dash!

Looks to be aBendix single diaphragm booster used with drum brakes. Can be used as a substitute for Midland Ross booster and was sold as a replacement for that purpose. Could be a core for someone converting from manual drums to power drums.

Dave
Agree it looks to be a Bendix brake booster.
There should be some numbers stamped onto the front case and usually the name "Bendix", which could help to ID the application. The pictures in original post don't show the front.

There should be some numbers stamped onto the front case and usually the name "Bendix", which could help to ID the application. The pictures in original post don't show the front.
The "Bendix" stamp imprint should be on one of the raised flat areas on the front, as I recall. Might be a bit hidden with the surface condition?

I removed the 3, and the motor pulls out only so far until the squirrel cage gets stuck as it’s too big to come out the hole. I think I have to get to it after I drop the dash!
It should come out through the firewall or I don't think you will be able to get HVAC box out from underneath the dash. You need to try to do some wiggling and twisting. I don't have a manual with my right now, but I'm sure it says it comes out through the firewall.

yes i agree...just pulled the one from my 68 fury...you may just have it cocked, it is a tight fit and needs to come straight out

All are correct…..field install bendix
1 c boys left factory with midland……..on drum cars…they won contract buy low bidding bendix
2. Midland Ross opened and only got their booster patent in 1962……. Bendix since like 1919
3. Especially on big cars … some purchasers demanded power brakesMOPAR provided dealer install kits to satisfy buyer and close deal.
4. All field installed boosters were bendix
5. The bendix booster internals are 1st class….
6. Midland Ross is not so much…they were the cheap
And internals look this way
Any legit rebuilder will confirm this
Over 10,000 MOPAR boosters done since 71

Back