Help in decrypting partsbook codes

'69FuryIIIConvertible

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I decided that with my back aching today that it couldn't hurt to do some R&D.

I've spent 5 hours trying to decipher these parts codes to get a part number.

According to this if I under stand it correctly, all 8 isolators should be the same.

I'm trying to get part numbers for them.

This car is turning me grey prematurely.

Nick

For the record, here is what I pulled out of the car..

I'd give important appendages for a lathe and some aluminum stock....
20190305_230101.jpg
20190304_221850.jpg
20190304_221902.jpg
20190304_222005.jpg
20190304_221949.jpg

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking, but I think you are asking about the numbers shown on the illustration page. They refer to the section(s) of the parts book where the numbers are located.

Example: 13-11-5 Is section 13, subsection 11-5

Look down to the subsection, then across the top gives you the car type.

In that subsection, there will be a list of part numbers. If you'll notice, that same subsection will have A, B, C, E bodies with the part numbers being different (or the same) Within the car line, the part numbers may be different too. The two in the rear could be different from the two in the front etc.

Looks like all the isolators are the same but some have inserts as well. Otherwise as John said to id the p/n itself.

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking, but I think you are asking about the numbers shown on the illustration page. They refer to the section(s) of the parts book where the numbers are located.

Example: 13-11-5 Is section 13, subsection 11-5

Look down to the subsection, then across the top gives you the car type.

In that subsection, there will be a list of part numbers. If you'll notice, that same subsection will have A, B, C, E bodies with the part numbers being different (or the same) Within the car line, the part numbers may be different too. The two in the rear could be different from the two in the front etc.
Basically when I flip through, I get to section 13, as the diagram says, and there are no 23-05-10, 23-05-25, which is what I'm chasing

I'm trying to figure out if I'm not looking right or I'm just an idiot

Ultimately the answer is I'm an idiot....

20190305_235351.jpg

Now I can put the manual away and turn the light out before my wife rolls over and hits me.

Nick

Last edited:
Yes the parts diagrams can (and still do today) reference different categories depending on where the part is coded to as you found out. There can be several categories in one diagram. It is no different today for instance if you are looking for a door panel diagram you will have references to electrical, glass, trim and interior body all in the same diagram. It is maddening I agree.

The next madening thing is, whoever swapped the stub put a mixture of isolators, I have those round pucks at the rear, nothing at the rad support and only 3 of the ones I posted the pictures of them part numbers, of which only one of the two halfs matches

On the isolators, in many cases, the rear pairs can be the same. Uppers and lowers, with ONE of the pair having the "insert" where the bolt goes through and indexes with the matching lower insulator. Fronts (core support insulators) are usually different, but still in matching pairs. Those center sleeves are there for two reasons. To ensure the two mount sections index correctly when installed AND to limit the amount of compression from bolt torque. So the mounts don't sqush more than a specified amount at recommended bolt torque.

Wondering if your front frame has a mix of "Torsion Quiet" and 1969 insulators installed? Just curious.

To effectively read an older Chrysler parts book, you have to understand the terminology the engineers used (which CAN be different than what Ford or GM would have used for a similar item). ONCE you can "get into their head", so to speak, it can all become easier to deal with, by observation. Chrysler called their warehouse parts reps "Order Specifiers", the people the dealership parts people would call for clarification or help in finding some things. GM called them "Order Interpreters", for example.

Basically, illustrations first, to get to the parts section designation. Then to the part number grid pages to find that section, then go laterally to look for the quantity (per car) number in the column for each of the body designations (listed at the top of the grid). Once you figure this out, they are really quite easy to read, by observation. Easier than similar GM books, where you had to know the correct terminology for BOTH parts, option names, AND car models! Similarly, once you get these things figured out, there's LOTS of stuff hiding in those books!

In many cases, the Chrysler part number might be cast into the side of the insulators. The exposed outer circumference. Plus possible color codes for the assembly line operatives to put the correct item in the correct place.

(The other thing is, What are you doing with a book that big and heavy IN BED?)

CBODY67

I have 3466005 NOS

as for the others try:
partsvoice.com

rearcounter.com

note that #s on parts are not always valid #s they might be casting #s

part books from 1980 and newer are much easier to use as the pictures of the parts are very detailed

As pointed out already the illustrations have the Part Type Code that refers to the text section with the part numbers, it may refer to a different section than the illustration.

Useful hints:

Part type codes are universal (within Chrysler Corp), so if you do not see the part in question for your car but do on a different car say a Valiant the part type code will get you to the section needed.

Likewise with different years, if you know the code but want to look it up in a different year book the code is the same. Sometime finding a part type code can be difficult and I have found them in a different year then went to the year I needed to find the part.

Alan

When I rebuilt my old 70 IHC HD 1/2 ton 4x4 the isolators were completely shot, so I saved all the head time digging in manuals and simply replaced them all with hockey pucks. They worked really well!

Back