Help me pick which tire to get.

Depends on what color your car is? I think that 2 1/4" wide white looks good with certain colors,but also like the 1 inch whitewall with almost anything.What color is your car?

IMG_0107.jpg
Depends on what color your car is? I think that 2 1/4" wide white looks good with certain colors,but also like the 1 inch whitewall with almost anything.What color is your car?

IMG_0107.jpg

The one inch, definitely ! The 2 1/4 inch is fine on a 50's car, not so much on a 60's car. :yes_no:

I agree wholeheartedly - 1". Larger white walls on cars after 1961 just don't look right to me. But just as important, why go only with the 215 size instead of at least the 225 size?

Wide whites can look cool on a dark colored car or one that is white,but not so much on lightly colored cars.I'd go with the 1" whitewall on that one though

I'd suggest going to the 15" rim and tire combo,but that would involve changing to a 15" hubcap also. Those 14" tires are in limited production and are going to be harder to find in the future. Most likely they will have to be special order only and no one seems to stock them either,which is why I'd upgrade to the 15's.

I think they offered 15" as an option that year.Maybe try something from an Imperial.

I was in the same boat for my 66 New Yorker. 14" tires are on the way out, more white walls and more choices in 15" sizes. The '66 brochures list optional 15" wheels for disc brakes, but over the last month only 1 wheel cover was listed on ebay for a 66-68 model. They say disc brake on them. As mentioned before, you may find another model, and they may look even better than stock. Doug

I put P235/75R15 Firestone tires on my 65 New yorker, with 15" alloy wheels. It handles and rides GREAT !! Also the tires don't look too big for this car. Your 66 and my 65 almost the same car. Personally, I wouldn't use less than a P225/75R15. These cars weigh about 4300 lbs, before you fill the gas tank and all the seats.

Back