Help me spend some $$

monaco75

Reaction score
Finally got the engine home and out of the jeep.. What an adventure it was. Was supposed to have a cherry picker from a freind to use, but he was using it. Had another freind have a buddy of his come over with an old ford wrecker. Hooked the motor up, and dragged it out. The engine got banged up a bit on the back of the wrecker... :angry4:

The right side valve cover got a nice couple dents in it, the power steering pulley got bent, and the crank pulley got a small dimple in it :BangHead:. Granted I'm gratefull some freinds came over to help, but damn.... What can you do.

20130311_121850_zps420b7328.jpg

20130311_121952_zps3495eef6.jpg

The real work came after it was out. The engine leaked oil all over the rear of the jeep . After 4 hours of cleaning finally found the carpeting.

20130311_172234_zps3ee4224b.jpg

Regardless the engine is out, and on the stand. Removed the accesories and putting a plan together.

The engine is a '73 440 that has been recently rebuilt. It is bored .030 over. The basic plan is to throw a few goodies at it, regasket, and paint it, then put it in. Sound good?

What do you guys think? Any tips on what to do? Was just thinking an intake, carb, and cam. Maybe a few other little mods..

20130311_171711_zpsc0b900a2.jpg

I do like the thermoquads. Had a coronet with a thermoquad on it, and as you said a very nice, and distinct sound. I've also heard you can get decent mileage with them as well. The engine did come with one. Would need a rebuild to run. That was one thing Ross mentioned that would deff need to be rebuilt/replaced.

I missed a few things above... Have a lot on my mind at the moment haha

This will be a daily driver, so can't go overboard with it. I picked up a 727 that is currently being rebuilt to stock specs. Will probably stay with a stock convertor, but will decide what to do when I have a cam picked out.

Have an 8.75 rear that will be going in as well. Currently has a 741 case with 2.94 gears. Would love to put a 3.23 in, but will more then likely stay with what it already has.

The real work came after it was out. The engine leaked oil all over the rear of the jeep . After 4 hours of cleaning finally found the carpeting.
I did question your sanity when I saw the pic of that engine in the back of a carpetted SUV....

< Sent from my tablet >

I did question your sanity when I saw the pic of that engine in the back of a carpetted SUV....

< Sent from my tablet >

Worst part is its the girlfriends jeep... She was a little pissed haha. I promissed her a new carpet if it didnt clean up. I think she was satisfied with the clean up (cross mf fingers).

Didnt have any other way to get the engine, and i couldnt pass up Ross` offer.

I forgot to ask about the cam...I would only go as "radical" as a stock U code profile. Especially if it will be a daily driver. I found them to be the best power/ driveability compromise. My 10 cents.

Do you have a big block subframe already?

Gonna go with the conversion mounts from shumaker. From reading the directions online all that needs to be done is trim one of the mounts back a bit, then the engine should bolt right in the factory location. Should ordering them the end of this week.

[QUengineOTE=commando1;60762]Is that engine RED?stand
And PLEASE buy a better engine stand. You'll thank me later....[/QUOTE]

Yes a red engine out of the red imp. It will be going back to blue.

I do need to get another stand, but its doing the job at the moment. This one is still more rigid then the black one in the pics that i borrowed from a friend. Might still use though to put the tranny on once its home.

Anyone know a good place to get a pulley for the power steering pump? Might break down and get a new pump to to be on the safe side.

Sounds like you got a little jiggy on delivering that engine. Hope your girlfriend doesn't dump you now. I have hauled 2 engines home in my 96 Voyager in the last year. One was a slant six w/ tranny attached, the other a M-B diesel with disconnected oil lines that like to leak. I took out all the seats, put down plastic sheet, then large cardboard and newspapers to catch any leaks. Put 2"x6" crosswise to not crinckle the floor pan. I used an engine hoist on both ends. Afterwards, the minivan looks perfect. I have hauled sand and gravel the same way, with no mess, and the plastic lets you get all the sand out easy. I did just barely clear the rear hatch with the hoist. Who needs a truck (actually minivans are trucks to the EPA).

Thermoquads are great when they work correctly, so try it first. The problem is that many are bad (warped plastic bodies, ...) and parts are hard to come by. Quadrajets are similar, and a little easier to source. My own preference is fuel injection.

Since your water pump is off, I would look at getting an aluminum housing and pump (~$120 ebay). That will take some weight off the front end. I also wouldn't put that big beast RV2 compressor back. I know they last forever, but a Sanden is much lighter and more efficient.

Last edited:

Holy S#it! $85 for a power steering pulley! And $145 for a crank pulley! Man, I might have to go pay a visit to the friends that came to help, and take a collection from them haha! Thanks Stan!

Anyone have some spare pulleys they might want to sell for a bit cheaper??

Sounds like you got a little jiggy on delivering that engine. Hope your girlfriend doesn't dump you now. I have hauled 2 engines home in my 96 Voyager in the last year. One was a slant six w/ tranny attached, the other a M-B diesel with disconnected oil lines that like to leak. I took out all the seats, put down plastic sheet, then large cardboard and newspapers to catch any leaks. Put 2"x6" crosswise to not crinckle the floor pan. I used an engine hoist on both ends. Afterwards, the minivan looks perfect. I have hauled sand and gravel the same way, with no mess, and the plastic lets you get all the sand out easy. I did just barely clear the rear hatch with the hoist. Who needs a truck (actually minivans are trucks to the EPA).

Thermoquads are great when they work correctly, so try it first. The problem is that many are bad (warped plastic bodies, ...) and parts are hard to come by. Quadrajets are similar, and a little easier to source. My own preference is fuel injection.

Since your water pump is off, I would look at getting an aluminum housing and pump (~$120 ebay). That will take some weight off the front end. I also wouldn't put that big beast RV2 compressor back. I know they last forever, but a Sanden is much lighter and more efficient.

Yea another moment when I wasnt thinking.. I layed a blanket down in back thinking that would protect it enough.. Woops.. Luckily the girlfriend is a great girl, and puts up with my stupid ****. I put her through a lot with the car stuff, but she puts up with it in style.. She may be a keeper haha.

Yea other then the oil spill the jeep did great. *** end was saggin a bit, but didn't stop it. Really wish my ram was up and running though! However the gas bill would not be near as kind as it was with the jeep.

I'll have to look into doing the sanden compressor. Sounds like a good direction. Deff going to be keeping the A/C.

Was also thinking the same thing about the aluminum pump/housing. I believe my current small block radiator would work with the current housing that is on it though. Not sure if the radiator would be able to keep the BB cool though down here in FL.

Thanks guys!

I forgot to ask about the cam...I would only go as "radical" as a stock U code profile. Especially if it will be a daily driver. I found them to be the best power/ driveability compromise. My 10 cents.

Hey Mr C,

I think I found what looks like the U code cam by lunati?-
http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1560&gid=255
Has an RPM range of 1800-5500

I also went onto COMP cams website, and put the info to select a cam...
Here are the ones they recomended-

265DEH
http://www.compperformancegroupstor...e_Code=CC&Product_Code=34-226-4&Category_Code=
This one has an RPM range of 1500-5250

XE256H
http://www.compperformancegroupstor...e_Code=CC&Product_Code=33-234-4&Category_Code=
This one has an RPM range of 1000-5200

I'm looking for as much down low torque as I can get. I'm not sure if the factory HP cam would be best being the operating range doesnt start until 1800 rpm. I'm leaning more towards the comp cams.

Any opinions guys?

Hope you guy's dont mind me asking so many questions.. lol I've read many engine build threads, but now here I am with my own, with a bunch of questions. A lot more to come.... This being my first engine to mess with.

If your major concern is low-end torque, check out the M.P. 413-3 cam.

Ouch... Now you need a cheap parts car for the pulleys & valve covers. ;)

I wonder if it got painted red in 05 when it was rebuilt? Would it have been blue regardless of body color?

As much stall & as much rear gear as you can possibly stand. That's my .02.....

Horsepower is great but gearing & stall is where all the fun comes from. Going really fast on a public road is a terrible idea but getting to 60 as fast as you can is pretty harmless fun.

I wonder if it got painted red in 05 when it was rebuilt? Would it have been blue regardless of body color?

Was it the 1973 Imp?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1973[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]198 Six[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]All[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Blue[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mopar Paint P4349217[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1973[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]225 Six[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]All[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Blue[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mopar Paint P4349217[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1973[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]318 V8 - LA[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]All[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Blue[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mopar Paint P4349217[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1973[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]340 V8 - LA[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]All[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Blue[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mopar Paint P4349217[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1973[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]360 V8 - LA[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]All[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Blue[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mopar Paint P4349217[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1973[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]400 V8[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]All[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Blue[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mopar Paint P4349217[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1973[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]440 V8[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]All[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Blue[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mopar Paint P4349217[/FONT]

If your major concern is low-end torque, check out the M.P. 413-3 cam.

Yea, I want as much torque as I can get out of the engine with the current setup it has.

I gues the priority list goes-
Torque
Driveability (everyday use)
Gas mileage (would like to run on the garbage pump-gas)

What do you think a rough estimate would be on the compression it is putting out? A '73 440 bored .030 over, with 346 heads that have been resurfaced. I cant imagine it much.. Maybe 9-1 if I am lucky...

As much stall & as much rear gear as you can possibly stand. That's my .02.....

Horsepower is great but gearing & stall is where all the fun comes from. Going really fast on a public road is a terrible idea but getting to 60 as fast as you can is pretty harmless fun.

Tell me about it!! I was not worried so much about the valve covers, as they are being changed anyway.. I also wasnt to worried about the pulleys until I saw the prices on new ones! haha I did find some used pulleys online for WAY cheaper that I'm hoping to get soon.

The engine would have originally been Turquoise (blue). It was repainted when it was rebuilt. Its listed on the sheet you emailed to me.. I'll have to try and get it posted up here in a few..

I wanna keep the gears high for the highway driving, so kinda stuck there, also don't want to get to radical with the stall.. The newport has a 3000 stall convertor in it with the low gears.. Fun as hell as a toy for the weekends, but not so fun when using to commute everyday.

Was it the 1973 Imp?

198 Six
All
Blue
Mopar Paint P4349217
225 Six
All
Blue
Mopar Paint P4349217
318 V8 - LA
All
Blue
Mopar Paint P4349217
340 V8 - LA
All
Blue
Mopar Paint P4349217
360 V8 - LA
All
Blue
Mopar Paint P4349217
400 V8
All
Blue
Mopar Paint P4349217
440 V8
All
Blue
Mopar Paint P4349217

Yea it was the red '73. The one that is in Ross' avatar.

My Challenger has a 4200 stall & a 4.10 gear & I use it as a damn near daily driver in the summer.

Man up, Zac. ;)

Back