Help with axle ratio ID

Cazman

Reaction score
I have been searching for Broadcast sheet codes, but have not found or don't understand some of these codes. Can anyone tell me what axle ratio I have? I thought it was 2.72, but maybe not.
IMG_0417.jpg
IMG_0418.jpg
IMG_0419.jpg

Code 401 for 68 is 2.76 ratio. You can always count the number of driveshaft rotations vs 1 turn of the tire to confirm.

I believe the 272 is related to the part number installed on the car for the axle assembly.

Nice early (Aug 16) 300 ragtop by the way.

Pat

Jack up the back of the car and turn one of the rear wheels by hand, count the number of revolutions of the driveshaft for one revolution of the wheel, that should give you the ratio. You may have to divide by 2 to get the correct ratio.
Edit: Fixed, I had that backwards.

Last edited:
CODE 401 - so, that's how you read these things! the column has 40 and then they print the 1 to get 401. Makes sense now. Thanks.

I know how to rotate the tires and count the driveshaft revolutions, but with an open diff, that is not always accurate. Besides I'm on the couch and the car is a few miles away in a barn. But, I learned how to read the broadcast sheet.

The "wheel turns" method can work well or not so well on a non-SureGrip car. Have to make sure the spider gears don't turn, so you might have to turn the lh wheel back and forth a few times until the rh wheel move with it.

On the broadcast sheet, you look for "sales codes" typically. The "272" number is a code number used on the assembly line to identify the axle assy itself. The sales codes will identify the ratio, especially if it's an optional ratio. SureGrip is a separate option code (although the "272" type number would include that in the assembly ID number).

The middle '70s broadcast sheets had the "decode" on the back side of the page. These were also the ones with multiple colors for the various areas on the sheet.

CBODY67

Back