Help with engine bay details

Jonny89

Reaction score
Hello all, I have found time to head back north to my friends shop this coming weekend. I have been reading the FSM and trying to gather all the information needed to restore this 1971 Plymouth fury back to its formal state.

I pay a lot of attention to detail and have looked over my engine bay. I have already noticed that some hoses are not attached to their correct places, the coil as you can see, has been rigged against one of the body bars in the picture.

What I am needing help on: If anybody has a 1971 Plymouth fury, this one has the 360 option, could you please post any pictures of a factory correct layout of the engine bay. Oddly enough I cant seem to find a lot of pictures of the engine bay's on any 71 fury's on Google. I am mainly interested in the correct layout of the entire engine bay from the wiring harness to the hoses that attach to the engine block. Also can anybody tell me the original color of the engine block, I am guessing mine still has the original paint on it.

Here is my engine bay, sorry for how dirty it is, to cold out to clean it.

Thanks

Jon

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

Are your plans a full blown resto? Everything needs to come out and you need to start from scratch to do it correctly.

The engine bay in my '65 Chrysler 300 went from this:

To this:

But the starting point after paint was this:

I was doing fine this morning until you gave me another shot at hating you again.

IMG_9293_zps4d28e04f.jpg

Even the fittings on the master cylinder look lined up or was that an accident?

I was doing fine this morning until you gave me another shot at hating you again.

IMG_9293_zps4d28e04f.jpg

Even the fittings on the master cylinder look lined up or was that an accident?

Total accident. I never even noticed that. I pay attention to detail, but not that much detail.

Total accident. I never even noticed that. I pay attention to detail, but not that much detail.

In the house I may line up the screws on switch covers but under the hood I try not to think about details, date coded plug wires go in whatever way I grab them, verious stickers go in without trying to be perfect (infact on my Barracuda I had my Niece put them all in). I try to remember that the assembly line wasn't thinking about it why should I.

Alan

Very good point Alan, by the way I have been following your website. Real neat stuff, I have learned quite a bit!

Rexus31, that engine bay is immaculate, as my goal is to eventually get to that point, as of right now I am just trying to fix the car piece by piece. I just want everything in the correct place for example, look where the coil is. Good pictures of several different angles on a factory correct engine layout for a 1971 Fury with everything attached would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Jon

Guess no body has a 71'.

I might be easier to break it down to more specific questions. Many of the details are the same across multiple years, the coil mounting is the same on all small blocks and probably the same for a great many years. Here is my 67 Barracuda.

2004-10-02_05.jpg

The basic rules for colors and finishes is pretty much the same for most of the cars of this era. Take notes of the parts you are working on and ask questions about those. When people post cars for sale and everybody here rips it apart read through those and learn what the different details are. You have to be a detective when restoring old cars, document how it currently is, many pictures.

Alan

Also be less specific is your research, the engine color will be the same on all 360s in 1971, so don't look for 1971 Plymouth Fury engine color, it looks original to me but that is not my era.

Alan

Alan, I understand. Polara71, thanks for the pictures, I already see similarities. Alan is right, sorry for being to broad in my questions, please bear with me, I am still a newbie at car restoration.

Polara71 another question for you more specifically: I am trying to figure out the correct place for the coil in the engine bay. Would you know? Also, I have noticed that in the FSM the fuel filter is the shinny metal type, do you know where that goes?

Thank you both for the help!! greatly appreciated, I already feel more confident on my restoration.

Jon

On the small block it is mounted to the intake manifold under the air cleaner housing between the carb and the distributor

This is the style filter that was used, I'm pretty sure the 71's still had it on top.

I'm guessing the coil was moved on yours as it got in the way of adjusting the distributor, either they had it advanced way too much or the wires were indexed wrong.

This picture shows a 67, the 71 should be the same.
Both the coil and fuel filter can be seen, although this is a 67 Valiant these sort of details were standard.
2004-10-02_07.jpg

Alan

I have a ton of my convertible half a ton of my blue 71. 360 specific of my brown 71 without the breather ..... I would have had no need for a photo

I see the fuel filter. Is there a reason Chrysler put the coil on top of the intake manifold, you would think it would make the coil overheat and fail prematurely? Polara71 you wouldn't happen to have pictures of the engine on your blue 71 would you, for reference of course.

Alan I am thinking the wires were indexed wrong, it is a mess all together, but someone could of adjusted the timing on the motor and moved it as well.

About the fuel filter, as shown in the FMS and your great picture, the fuel filter is attached to a piece of rubber hose on each end. In turn attached via a clamp? to the metal fuel line on one end and the carb fuel line on the other. I will have to take a good look at mine next weekend as I am pretty sure someone just put a rubber hose directly from one end of the fuel filter to the carb.

Jon

Wow! they do look very similar, would you be able to take a picture of the intake manifiold with the air cleaner off the engine, I am trying to get an exact location for the coil and to see where the fuel pump is.

Thanks so much for your help!

Jon

Wow! they do look very similar, would you be able to take a picture of the intake manifiold with the air cleaner off the engine, I am trying to get an exact location for the coil and to see where the fuel pump is.

Thanks so much for your help!

Jon

The exact location is the two pads on the passenger side of the intake manifold, this is where it mounted on all small blocks, like forever.

Alan

Back