Helpppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yellowkeeble

Reaction score
I chnaged the rear leaf springs and shocks on my 67 Fury II 2-Dr and have a 6" difference in height between passenegr and driver side rear. I swapped the springs to see if the lean moved with the spring and it remained the same ( passenegr side). I see no damage to the frame or leaf spring brackets, or mounting hardware. I plan on inspecting the rest of the frame for a crack or something obvious but all door gaps are fine and fender fit is pretty good. The car is an original 318 car and I pulled the motor out a couple weeks ago but didn't notice if there was a lean. I have only had the car 4 months or so and have never seen a with full drivetrain or driving. Am I missing something obvious????

Ernie

Yup., disconnect the rear shocks at the base and let them hang free and see if anything changes. If not, are the leaf springs you put in new? One side might be decidedly tired. The only other thing to check for is maybe the old set had a collapsed side and the original owner compensated by screwing up the torsion bar at the front suspension to compensate? These are all things you can look at.

Springs

Take a good look at the rear spring shackles. They both should be angled towards the back of the car. It's not unusual for the right side to be a little less. If the right side is straight up-and-down or pivoted forward it will jack that side of the car way up. Also count the leaves. I always lay mine on the floor & make sure they are same/similar legnth. I always hook the shocks up after the car is on its on weight.

Post a pic of the springs mounted under the car, and both mounting points. Ether used springs that are tired, or installed incorrectly.

I put jackstands under the rear frame of the 67 Fury and the axle is level but the front passenegr wheel is barely touching the ground. My thought is that the motor and trans being out is torquing the car enough to give the 6" difference in rear height. Once the motor goes in the car should sit nice and level, so I hope.

You didn't mention before that your engine and trans. were out. Removing those two piecez of the drive train will not do what you're suggesting. Me thinkest your torsion barz have been tweaked way differently for some reason or else it'z the stub frame or the body it self that'z been tweaked. None of which are good thingz.

Both of the subframes are straight with no indication of damage or damage repaired previously. Engine should be done in the next week or 2. I'll give a report once it's in.

Since the engine is out, release ALL the tension from BOTH torsion bars and see how it stands.

You want to solve the problem BEFORE the engine goes back in.

A 6 " difference from side to side....doesn't make sense to me unless something is broke or installed wrong. Drive train removed shouldn't make the left or right side be higher or lower than the other.

Agreed, something is not right and it has nothing to do with the engine or Trans being out.

Back