Here's a question

65Coronet7165

Reaction score
Has anyone installed the Borgeson steering box in their car?? If so are you happy with it? I have a stage 2 steering box from Firm Feel. Although I like the effort level there's still on center play that I haven't been able to adjust away. So always turning the wheel a bit while trying to go straight down the road. Annoying. I am hoping to do a total conversation; steering box, pump and coupler.

I have one on a 67 Barracuda, I got the car with it. There is a noticeable difference over OEM.

One thing I have noticed is there is a distinct sound that resonates up the column, less at center but never goes away.

Alan

On the noise, it may not be noticeable with the rag joint columns. Also a good alignment will help with the constant centering of steering wheel. Try to get as much positive caster you can.

alignment-specifications.gif

Boydsdodge, I'm.alredy running bout 2.5 + on the
Caster... Was running 4.0 + with little difference. Sometimes I wonder if it's because it's a convertible???? I've had both 65 and 68 Fury's and thought the steering was fine on them. That was over 40 years ago however!!!!

Look at the input shaft of the gearbox as you easily turn the steering wheel off-center r and l. IF that gear input shaft moves in and out, THAT can be where the play you are feeling really is, NOT with the normal adjustment on the top of the box. There is an adjustment for that, but it takes a special spanner wrench to do.

Otherwise, check the coupler at the base of the steering column. It can be another place for age-related slack. Allegedly, if the inside is clocked 180 degrees off, it can cause slack, but if clocked correctly, no slack. I heard an alignment guy mention that one time. FWIW

Presuming all of the varioius steering linkage-related items are tight and in-spec?

Do ALL of the off-center slack tests with the engine running, too!

Seems like the Borgeson steering box is actually for a late-model Jeep application, with necessary adapters to fit things other than Jeeps?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Before blaming the steering box, check every bushing, arm joints, ball joints, steering coupler, rag joint etc.etc...

Sorry to resurrect this thread but Everything in the steering and suspension systems are new except for the drag link and the lower control arms (which are boxed). Always had the play an center in the steering... custom alignment with more caster as well. I will have my mechanic check out everything for tightness next time...it will be in the spring..

"Play on center" can be due to the input side of the gear needing some tweaking adjustment.

With the hood open, turn the steering wheel side to side quickly, with the engine off. You will probably see the steering shaft move in and out as you do this. That is probably where the play is you are feeling, from my experiences. There IS an adjustment there, but it takes a special tool to do it.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

We are looking at doing the full Borgeson kit, box, pump, lines, etc... on my father in laws 65 Sport Fury next spring. He really wants a better steering feel to it, we talked about a firm feel box, but the Borgeson may be the better way to go

fwiw i have a Firm Feel box in my 70 300 U code convt, it was installed earlier this year and im very happy with it

Thanks for the replies. Good suggestion 67 CBODY67. I drove the car Saturday. First time in months and a half. It's at a storage place since I moved to an apartment last November. I've been recovering from oral cancer surgery last February so I've only driven the car 6 times this year. What is funny about this is that I bought a new Toyota GR86 in August. I've gotten so accustomed to the 86 now that I flew down a local 2 lane 50 mph road at over 80 mph until I looked at the speedo. Same kind of driving on a curvey back road. Car handled it ok though

Back