Here's one for the books. Formal dash in a fusie?

Polaraco

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing a complete 78 Dash and heater/AC box in my 72 Polara.

The hardest part of this whole project was the fresh air box as it takes the air directly from the cowel. I had the section of the cowel I needed to make it work. And it did. As far as the heater mating with the dash is concerned, the only problem is the defroster ducts don't meet exactly with the box. Easy fix with some duct tape. (Ugh I never use that stuff, but it is the best solution) There's about an inch offset and the box is 3/4" lower. The other spot was the column. I chose NOT to use the tilt/telo column. I never liked those things. I stayed with the original 72 Column. All I needed to do was bring the column out about 1/2 an inch. There's still plenty in the slip coupler.

While I paint up those parts to match the "Green" of the car, I will be installing the wiring harness which eliminates the bulk head connector. Those of you who know about Polaraco, know it has a 92 fuel injection system and a 518 trans. I have to work in all that wiring too.

I started this 9 days ago. Not bad for a guy who had 2 strokes and can't walk worth a crap. :sFl_america2:

100_0114.JPG

100_0097.JPG

100_0100.JPG

100_0099.JPG

I hope you're feeling better.

Where is the rest of that blue formal? What year was it and is there any parts left on it?

Oh long gone. I've had this stuff for 2 years. I got this stuff from a guy in Florida. I towed the car down there for him and brought back my 62 300 H

Nice work! How well did you get the green to match and what did you use?

Oh long gone. I've had this stuff for 2 years. I got this stuff from a guy in Florida. I towed the car down there for him and brought back my 62 300 H

Do you know if it went to a junk yard and/or got crushed? You live close enough that I would go find it if you know if it is still around. That C-Body has some very sought after parts that I really need. The part that I really need is the wiper cam that mounts on the wiper motor. The center brown part is what I need.

DSC01239.jpg

You have a 62 300H? Did we see pictures of that car yet? Please post pictures of that car too.

DSC01239.jpg

It was broken. That was the first thing Commando1 looked at, I am sure.

It will have ot be fall before I post any of the H. It's in storage. I'm working on it's mate right now, a 62 New Yorker. http://www.moparfins.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3866 47 pages of pics and progress. Had a few ups and downs on the job, buit I had a good rust free base. Allot of history on this car in the last 10 years.

Waiting for the Push Button conversion. I put an overdrive 518 trans in this car.

I tabled the car to get this dash stuff out of the way.

I'm starting on the wiring now. Have to remove all the un-needed wires and add wires for the fuel injection and trans. I have also put intermittant wipers in this car. Another Polaraco first.

When I did this car 5 years ago, It was the only one in the world like it. I have since put a 5.9 in it, added the intermittant wipers and it was the only C with Vintage Air in it. I was able to get the original ducts to work too. But it had no heat and the AC was too small. So now it's getting a later factory setup.

Today I worked out the AC hoses. Simple I hope to have this done in another 2 weeks.

I had the paint shop shoot a color image of the original colors and make me aerosols. The good thing is, this pad won't crack!

The Nightmare begins

While I prep the parts for paint, I am also working on the wiring. Over the years, things have been added and repairs/bypasses have been done.

Yesterday, I got into the wiring, and let me tell you! The formal wiring is very different with all sorts of emission do dads and different plugs. Thank goodness for solder and heat shrink.

Well this is what it looked like yeserday

100_0129.JPG

And today. . . All the battery connections are made, all the grounds and the computer is tied in. Once I get the ignition switch connected, in therory, it should start. This will be wrapped into one neat bundle.

100_0130.JPG

This what I have taken out, plus the 72 harness. Some of it is still in there

100_0131.JPG

Maybe Saturday I'll have it running. Then I can focus on the lighting and then the AC system

You know it'll do you no good Stan, he don't listen.. :eek:s_dancing2:

Now Boss I am surprised you can do that so soon after the strokes. Hell I couldn't do that now.....:app:

Wiper bushing

Do you know if it went to a junk yard and/or got crushed? You live close enough that I would go find it if you know if it is still around. That C-Body has some very sought after parts that I really need. The part that I really need is the wiper cam that mounts on the wiper motor. The center brown part is what I need.

View attachment 3258

You have a 62 300H? Did we see pictures of that car yet? Please post pictures of that car too.

I believe the bushing you seek is the same as my Cordoba. There is a gentleman on the 'Forgotten B-Bodies" forum offering reproduction bushings. Check it out!

http://www.moparstyle.com/forums/fo...79-300-wiper-arm-transmission-bushing-13.html

I warned him :poke:....

Now Now. The biggest problems is the plugs are different on the stuff I am reusing in the 72. That and there's a few wires cut with no clue what they do. I am pulling out all the stuff not needed. It would have been more plug and play if I didn't reduce all the junk. Read on

MMMM Let's see. What's working?
It runs. I had a hello of a time with it because it would not start, but everybody was home with the key on. Then at dinner tonight a revelation come to me. The blue wire on the ignition switch is cancelled in the start mode and the brown is activated. Crossed them at the plug and poof.

Got ammeter, fuel gauge, dash lights, tail lights, blower motor. All working normal so far. Need to work out the turn signals yet, not sure why they are not working, but haven't looked either. Maybe the flasher with the LED's. I only have rear tail lights working right now. Turn signals are not hooked up yet. Game called on account I am pooped. It's taking allot of concentration to do this. I get some excersise, bending and stooping, work up a sweat, and it beats sitting in a chair feeling sorry for myself. It's really not that hard Stan. But I look at electrics as a neusense more than a challenge. You didn't get allot of electric, like I didn't get allot of industrial. I'm doing all the hard stuff in priority order first.

100_0132.JPG

Didn't make much ground today other than getting the computer tied into the brake lights, It takes 2 relays, got the back up lights working, headlights, wipers. But still no turn signals. They have me stumped. They should work, bit they won't Real odd.

Pretty lazy today. . . Didn't do anything electrically except identify a few more wires under the hood. The only two I need, I can't find. They're there, I just don't know where.
I did start repairing the dash pad and did some painting.

I have a really dumb question for a formal guy.

1. Where does the bulkhead connector and the fuse box get mounted? I thought the fuse box gets mounted to the lower bezel with an access dor. The likes of which I don't have.
2. Where was the washer tank mounted? The right front?

100_0134.JPG

100_0135.JPG

There is no bulkhead connecter.
All the wiring comes through a grommeted hole to the left of the P.B. booster in one frikkan huge harness. The fuse box is mounted on a bracket that is mounted to the bottom of the dash right above your left knee. The reservoir was mounted on the left inner wheel well behind the headlight in 74/75 and on the radiator support behind the right headlight 76-78.

Sent using Forum Runner

Hope this helps...
Here is a pic of what commando1 is talking about. Right next to the brake booster.
IMG_0729.jpg

Here's the washer bottle on a '75
IMG_0329.jpg

Back