Hey Guys, taking my car in to get a lot of work done on my 67 Sport Fury

jareed17

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I'm going to try a new shop to get some work done. It's called Reasonable Rides and Rods in Lewisville, TX. They specifically work on fully restoring classic cars and building up motors. I dropped my baby off today for some quotes on some work:

1. replace/rebuild steering gear box
2. change differential fluid
3. adjust carb
4. re-vinyl the top (they outsource body/trim work to American Body Works) (thanks forum for helping me decide to not just go with paint)
5. find out my hot start issue
6. replace my starter (already bought a Summit racing one)
7. change throttle cable

Wow, seems like a lot writing it out! Anyway, the shop looks really nice, has a ton of lifts and very awesome muscle cars being worked on (I loved the 69 Cougar Eliminator with the 427) Felt like I was underdressed bringing my 67 Sport Fury in there in less than perfect shape.

Anyway, has anyone used these guys before? No, I don't want to do it myself. I love cars but I'm not good at working on them. What kind of price range does it look like I'm heading for? Under $2k would be nice. He said the vinyl top would only be $300-$400 (not official quote though)

Thanks guys.

None of that is anything you can't do yourself in your driveway or garage. Give it a go....get a factory service manual, turn on some tunes (i like soundgarden) and get greasy.

'Mornin' Jareed. Hard to diagnose anything over the 'puter BUT, All those big starters that Mother Mopar used starting in '62(the first year for the all aluminum 727 Torq Flight) and covering every engine Mother sold for almost 20 years Had or developed hard start problems when they got hot. The fix came along in '88 when Mother finally got wise and installed a cute little Nitzindendo starter in the Dakotas with either 318s or 360s for the next bunch of years. Most any Bone Yard will have 'um for $40-$50 And I'll bet you that's the same starter you got from Summit that fits the 273-440? for ah wee bit more $. BTW, Summit left out the /6 and the 426! Regardless of where you get the starter that should take care of your #5 and #6, And if you DO go the used bone Yard route DO NOT leave that yard without the two nuts for fastening the wires to the starter 'cuz their ODD BALLS. Most are 7MM and 12MM but they will very in size too sometimes, Jer

Hey Guys, I have an update. The good news is that having the steering gear box replaced is only going to be $275. I thought it would be double that at least. They are also just charging me $100 for replacing the differential fluid and installing the Summit Racing starter.

The bad news, is that my #3 chamber only has 60 lbs of compression. Apparently the rings have about given out. On a positive note, I plan to have the engine rebuilt with new cams, rockers, rods, motor mounts, and maybe heads anyway. I just wasn't expecting to have it done so soon. I'm not getting that engine stuff redone for probably 6 months though. (gatta save up money cause that wont be cheap!)

Anyway, I forgot to ask how much the official vinyl top quote is. And I din;t ask about the throttle cable, cause I have to get the dash innards straightened out again anyway. I'll probably wait on that till I'm ready to get the AC/Heat working.

Anyway, that's about it so far. I'm glad to see that they don't appear to be ripping me off.

I wish you lived closer I could use the money. I'm with you Jer go to boneyard get a starter buy the new contacts starter will outlast me.

Hey Guys, here is an update. So my bill for the gearbox, installed starter with a nice new starter cable to the battery, and diff fluid change was $442. not too bad at all. I just took my Fury to the upholstery shop for the top. They say that it will be $450 and I should have it back Thursday of next week.

The new starter and gear box made big improvement! It feels like a much more powerful starter. The steering is much tighter too. It may have been my imagination, but it feel a bit quicker. I know they did adjust the carb some, so that probably helped.

Anyway, that's about it for now. I'll post pictures when I get it back.

Last edited:
let us know on that top. tell them you will send them another guy for another top see if they wont give you a break.

im in the market myself.

- saylor

Probably just working better can't change internal ratio they are all the same on ps units from vans all the way down to lowly a bodies.

I have gotten the most results by rebuilding the steering coupler and repacking it with grease, most times that is what is wrong with steering , not a worn out steering box. just mytwo cents worth! any body else ?

Unfortunately, the guy doing the top said someone brought in a "rush job" that had to be done by the weekend and he didn't have my car done Thursday and said it should be done Sunday or Monday. I'm kinda ticked off about it actually because we are going to have some great weather this weekend. I hope he does a good job. I went off the other shops high recommendation for this guy. I don't know if he's had to pull the windows, but I don't think so. I know I've seen videos where they have had to do it. My front windshield really needs to be replaced because it has 2 big cracks in it, and I plan on taking it to Safelite after I get it back. I got a quote of $476 online with them. Every other glass company I've tried has come in around $600. I imagine it is very possible it could break if he takes it out, but I haven't heard from him about it. I'll ask him when I pick it up.

when its time to pay him tell him your wallet had a rush job and it will be a couple of days before your wallet can get to it.

and Monday is a holiday.

damn that's why I haven't taken my car anywhere yet - everyones a chump.

I dunno if the glass REALLY has to come out or not,, someone was saying it did,,, ive never seen a top go on so I have no idea..

I have a good used windshield out of a 68 fury fast top, its the same as your 67 fast top. No cracks. 200. you pick up. I live in the San Antonio,Tx area. 210-843-9063 [email protected]

Unfortunately, the guy doing the top said someone brought in a "rush job" that had to be done by the weekend and he didn't have my car done Thursday and said it should be done Sunday or Monday. I'm kinda ticked off about it actually because we are going to have some great weather this weekend. I hope he does a good job. I went off the other shops high recommendation for this guy. I don't know if he's had to pull the windows, but I don't think so. I know I've seen videos where they have had to do it. My front windshield really needs to be replaced because it has 2 big cracks in it, and I plan on taking it to Safelite after I get it back. I got a quote of $476 online with them. Every other glass company I've tried has come in around $600. I imagine it is very possible it could break if he takes it out, but I haven't heard from him about it. I'll ask him when I pick it up.

Thanks 68, it's just not worth my time right now to go down there. I have too many things going on right now.

Thanks Ironwolf, but the vinyl if for a fast top.

Saylor, I recommend Reasonable Rides and Rods in Lewisville for mechanical work. They didn't over charge me and were very fast. Its a very nice shop with some amazing rides inside. I use to go to Wylie Vintage over there in the Garland area, and Mark is a really nice guy, but he's a 1 mechanic garage and can be pretty slow. I'd use him if you don't want to take your Fury to Lewisville and can leave your car with him 10 days.

Last edited:
thx man. I do all of the wrench turning on this boat, but I never have tried laying on a top, and id probably glue the door shut or something

Back