Hey guys!

Rooster34

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals! New to the forum. I just picked up a 1965 Plymouth Fury II. She's needs a valve jon on the 318 loly but is otherwise all original and in great shape. I had a tail light out and replaces both bulbs and they are working great. However the reverse light are not working, i also replaced those bulbs. Vehicle has an auto transmission with a column shift. Not sure if there is a switch i need to replace to make them lights kick on when put into reverse

20200524_162942.jpg

20200524_210411.jpg

20200524_210419.jpg

The switch should on the steering column, check the wires to be sure that they are all attached. There may be reproductions available.(www.nationalmoparts.com SKU#2770945N) Example below is approximate as to the type, slider mount is used to center the switch so it on when the car is in reverse.

Dave

Backup light switch.jpg

Last edited:
What a sweety man! I love it and welcome. Very nice car:thumbsup:

The contacts in these switches were famous for getting corroded, you might be able to clean them up.

Dave

Welcome aboard friend. Great fury. This is a great board to be on because of the knowledge freely shared and many of us rock and appreciate the four door Cs. I had my 66 Newport 4 door out today and it felt great like all was right with the world. All the best to you Retroman

I had a similar problem on my 1968 Barracuda. The plastic finger that actuated the switch had broken off from the column. I fixed it by threading a stud into the hole where the original had been.
Welcome aboard friend. Great fury. This is a great board to be on because of the knowledge freely shared and many of us rock and appreciate the four door Cs. I had my 66 Newport 4 door out today and it felt great like all was right with the world. All the best to you Retroman
The contacts in these switches were famous for getting corroded, you might be able to clean them up.

Dave
What a sweety man! I love it and welcome. Very nice car:thumbsup:
The switch should on the steering column, check the wires to be sure that they are all attached. There may be reproductions available.(www.nationalmoparts.com SKU#2770945N) Example below is approximate as to the type, slider mount is used to center the switch so it on when the car is in reverse.

Dave

View attachment 378706
All you guys kick ***! Thanks so much for the replies. Ill keep you posted on the repair. The selector needle doesn't move when you shift the column ots all the way over to the right on number 1. so im guessing that switch broke, what size stud did you use to fix that?

what size stud
I think it was about 1/4". However, my column was really sloppy and I probably should have found a replacement. I'm not sure how the needle is hooked to the selector, as the indicator on mine was mounted to the column.

Welcome to the forum! Nice ride. I'm a 65 Fury owner as well. Love mine. Any issues you have, don't be afraid to post.

Lots of great guys and great info on this forum. Enjoy the new toy!

Any time the steering column is taken apart you have to snap the little peg off to take it apart. To install you snap it in place and push the pin in to secure it. This is what the ‘68 peg looks like.
There should be reproduction parts out there. I am not 100% if the ‘65 is exactly the same, but should be similar.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Any time the steering column is taken apart you have to snap the little peg off to take it apart. To install you snap it in place and push the pin in to secure it. This is what the ‘68 peg looks like.
There should be reproduction parts out there. I am not 100% if the ‘65 is exactly the same, but should be similar.
View attachment 379419 View attachment 379420
Thank you!

Alright guys so I dug into the shifter selector lever and got that figured out, which was pretty simple, I also dug into the reverse switch as well cleanup the connectors and the switch itself. Got.it all back.installed and still no reverse lights, however when I manually move that pin to make contact with the wire contacts reverse lights work.any idea why it wouldnt be actuating?

20200605_190916.jpg

20200605_174639.jpg

20200605_191029.jpg

20200605_191057.jpg

20200605_195420.jpg

It is a fine line between on and off. A little play in your shifter column can turn it on or off.

Yes I believe it is in the steering section ( steering column). The ‘68 switch has a locator hole in the switch. You move the Plastic nub in the switch to a certain position and insert the pin (I used a drill bit) to hold the switch mechanism in the proper place. Then position the switch on the column against the actuator post and tighten the bolts. Then remove the pin. The manual will give the exact position.

So i have the AP-1 or AP-2 model I think I am missing the operator lever that moves the nipple on the switch. I have this style i beleive because of the AP1 AP2 model the other tpe is like a a little shaft.

20200606_103833.jpg

20200606_103944.jpg

Back