Hi all! New guy working on a 66 New yorker

dberggren

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im working on a deal with my Uncle for his 66 New Yorker 2 door sedan. Its a 440, column auto, was 2.73 now its 3.23 with a positraction of some kind (not sure if its sure grip or not) . Its got A/C, PW,PL,PS,PA,power buckets, AM/FM, its also got the Sentinel system. Color is Saddle Bronze, black interior, and it had the black vinyl on the C pillar. The car hasnt run in 5 years, hasnt been licensed in 15 years, the interior is out of it, BUT is has been recovered, would need door panels, dash, and rear package tray though. Exterior is pretty straight, it does need the lower rear 1/4s replaced, and a little above the wheel wells, all the chrome is there, and all the aluminum lower trim is there, as well as the skirts. Trans was freshly rebuilt awhile ago, but doesnt have many miles since.

Whats a car like this worth in the real world? I want to buy it to make a fun cruiser out of it. Update the suspension/steering/braking, maybe a little mild engine work, nice exhaust and sound system, nice wheels, do the body work and paint it either the Saddle Bronze or Turbine Bronze, possibly some other variation of the bronze/copper, and eventually have a fun car to load up with people and go for a drive, I hate when cars arent driven, although we have one already that doesnt get driven much lol. I want a car I can play around a little with and not worry about affecting the value like our 71 GTX.

I have the fender tag codes and some pictures if someone wants to know more. Im thinking that its a fairly rare car, but not like that GTX. I dont really know that much about the C bodys, always been more interested in the A/B/Es but I must be getting old and the idea of a hot rod with some luxury really intrests me haha. Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

Welcome! Nice car. Sure Grip is the word you are looking for. The car is not common. Is it factory 440? Post pictures of the car and fender tag, please. Real world value is around $5,000 depending on actual condition.

Ask and ye shall receive (hopefully) lol

Yes it's factory 440

I knew there was sure grip, but wasent there another one from the factory that had a different name?

20160716_165252.jpg

20160716_165302.jpg

20160716_165328.jpg

20160716_165514.jpg

20160716_165506.jpg

20160716_182015.jpg

Here's the worst of the rust, I'm assuming the other side is similar under the trim.

20160716_170120.jpg

I would pay $2,500 max. The Sure Grip would be the only limited slip differential from the factory. There was an early and later type, with clutches or cones respectively.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Great car and very much worth saving. Pay as little as you can for it because it's going to require more money than it'll be worth when it's done. That being said, restore it anyway for the love of it, I sure would!

What's the old girl worth all fixed up? From my understanding the sentinel system is pretty rare, along with it being a fairly high optioned car.

I plan to do all the work myself, I have a degree in auto tech and have been around the big block mopar world all my life. I've got some friends that are pretty good at body and metal work that I think I can get to help with that for the price of a couple of cases (or more likely, quite a few lol)

It is a nicely optioned car and you don't see the Sentinel lighting system all that often on Chryslers like you do on the Imperials. It's hard to say what it'd be worth when it's done, I guess whatever somebody would pay for it but I'd guess somewhere around 15K + or -.

Welcome to the site, we would love to see progress pic's of your work as you go.

I found a fender tag decoder, and this is what it says:
Production date June 10, 1966
Shipping order 38226
Car line CHRYSLER Newport/300/NYkr
Price class High
Body type 2 door hardtop
Trim High [32H]
Seat type Bench vinyl [334]
Trim color Black [34X]
Paint 1 Bronze metallic [27Y]
Paint 2 Bronze metallic [28Y]
Accent stripes Black [29B]
Upper door frame paint Black
Engine 4bbl 8cyl 350hp sngl exhst RB [378/381]
Transmission Transmission-Torqueflite automatic [395]
26in radiator yoke
Power equipment Power door locks [452]
Power equipment Power bucket-LH/RH 6way [455]
Power equipment Power windows [458]
Power equipment Power vent windows [459]
Power equipment Power windows [458]
Power equipment Power vent windows [459]
Radio Radio-solid state AM/FM 5.5W [423]
Heater Air conditioning w/ heater [411]
Front bucket seats Rear armrests and ash tray [565]
Rear options Heater-DELETE [416]
-OR- Speaker-reat seat [426]
Police accessories Heater-rear seat and defroster [417]
-OR- Speaker-reat seat w/reverb [427]
Police accessories Heater-DELETE [416]
Mouldings Mirror-outside LH remote [536]
-OR- Moulding-bumper reveal [546]
Fender mounted turn signals Light-turn indicator hood/fender mounted [517]
Lights/police accessories Moulding-lower body or applique [539]
-OR- Moulding-bright garnish [549]
Mirrors Mirror-outside LH remote [536]

It was on a site that was actually for Chargers but it worked. From my understanding 66 different coding than others

nice, heres mine
Production dateMarch 02, 1966
Shipping order13192
Car lineCHRYSLER Newport/300/NYkr
Price classHigh
Body type4 door town sedan
Trim GradeHigh [32H]
Seat typeBench cloth&vinyl [331]
Paint 1(INVALID)Paint 2(INVALID)
Paint schemeMono tone paint [291]
Upper door frame paint(INVALID)
Engine440 4bbl 8cyl 350hp sngl exhst RB [378/381]
TransmissionTransmission-Torqueflite automatic [395]
RadioRadio-Astrophonic AM/deluxe 5.5W [422]
Rear optionsHeater-DELETE [416]
Police accessoriesRear window defogger-blower type [418]
Police accessoriesHeater-DELETE [416]
MouldingsMirror-outside LH remote [536]
Fender mounted turn signalsLight-turn indicator hood/fender mounted [517]
MouldingsMoulding-door upper frame and quarter [543]
MirrorsMirror-outside LH remote [536]

I believe you could option them down correct? Like you wanted the New Yorker, but not the 440 could you check the option for a 383? and it would make it a bit cheaper

Back