Hidden headlight motor

Buldog9

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a replacement motor that can be adapted to a 69? Mine is dead.I took it apart and attempted to repair. It seems as though it could have been shorting to ground and/or the limit switches are shot.I was wondering if ayone has Frankensteined a late model motor that works? Miata? I`d say Porsche 928 but I am sure they are way expensive.

I killed an entire day at a u-pull-it once picking through every headlight motor from other cars and I found not one suitable donor.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Last edited:
Working used ones are getting impossible to find. 40 bucks is cheap. Murray will grab that and want 80.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

If you can find a late 80's, early 90's Chrysler New yorker, Imperial, etc...they had hidden headlamps. These motors are of newer design, but will fit the older cars. Same bolt pattern and square shaft size.

If you can find a late 80's, early 90's Chrysler New yorker, Imperial, etc...they had hidden headlamps. These motors are of newer design, but will fit the older cars. Same bolt pattern and square shaft size.
I also tried motors from the K-cars. Absolutely no go. Sad. they're plentiful.

I bet you have enough inventory to build another NY'er with just a frame. Wait a minute.....you probably have spare frame too!

Does anyone know of a replacement motor that can be adapted to a 69? Mine is dead.I took it apart and attempted to repair. It seems as though it could have been shorting to ground and/or the limit switches are shot.I was wondering if ayone has Frankensteined a late model motor that works? Miata? I`d say Porsche 928 but I am sure they are way expensive.
I bought a new one for a 93 NY and installed it on my 68 grill not bolt on but not bad to install .....and it's a little smaller than original

I bought a new one for a 93 NY and installed it on my 68 grill not bolt on but not bad to install .....and it's a little smaller than original
If you gave a "How to..." a gazillion guys out there would kiss you on all four cheeks for that.

What did you find that didn't work Stan...when you tried the FWD headlight motors? I have one in the garage right now, as well as a couple spare original motors, and they definetly look like the newer motor can be made to work easy enough. As Sled said it may not be an exact bolt on, but should not take much to make it work....Since he did it.

I looked at them in a yard. Looked like it wouldn't work. I should have pulled one anyway and taken it home and examined it closer. Dumb....

Ok so since I had the motors readily available I thought I would actually see what it would take to make the newer FWD Chrysler headlight motor work.

I have a 68 300 headlight motor upright support, with motor, and a newer motor from a early 90's New yorker. Here are some pics.

PICT6829_zps1075f6ff.jpg

PICT6830_zps8aad7a7c.jpg

Here you can see that the main bolt pattern is much larger on the newer motor. But the shaft sizes are exactly the same...I mic'd them to double check.

PICT6831_zps4eb74d3d.jpg

So all that would be required to use this motor would be to make a template to position the motor properly, then drill 3 new holes.

Ok so since I had the motors readily available I thought I would actually see what it would take to make the newer FWD Chrysler headlight motor work.

I have a 68 300 headlight motor upright support, with motor, and a newer motor from a early 90's New yorker. Here are some pics.

PICT6829_zps1075f6ff.jpg

PICT6830_zps8aad7a7c.jpg

Here you can see that the main bolt pattern is much larger on the newer motor. But the shaft sizes are exactly the same...I mic'd them to double check.

PICT6831_zps4eb74d3d.jpg

So all that would be required to use this motor would be to make a template to position the motor properly, then drill 3 new holes.
Thanks Brian, I was going to say that

Back