WANTED Hidden Headlight Spring Clip

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWagon

Reaction score
Contact seller
Need 1 "V clip" that holds the spring in place on the hidden headlight set-up.

Used on most / all years and models with hidden headlights, not just C-bodies but also B-bodies.

The part is actually referred to as the "torsion bar retainer clip"
See factory drawing for reference.
concealedheadlamp-jpg.jpg

I looked around my various "rare parts" websites, didn't find anything immediately because I didn't know what I was looking for. So I hit the parts book and it looks like that retainer is PN 1922183. Notice that the pic doesn't give a section number for that retainer, but I went to 8-34-128 for the "ring", and found it.

Also, make note of the blue for the "torsion bar". It comes up in 8-34-45 and -127, because they're different lengths and different PNs.

1684344943489.png

1684344544581.png

Do a search for 1922183:
Parts
Central Jersey Motor Parts This site has 22 of them. Tell Jack I said hello. Knack

But I then found a different PN for the retainer, 6027292. This one for Plymouths, Chryslers and Imperials. AND Superbird!! Is it the same as 1922183? Probably, but not totally sure.

Here's the Superbird parts. So that means that you could try the 'bird nose" reproduction vendors to see if they have that same thing. I would certainly call Tony's Parts. He knows everything and everybody. But I think 1922183 should work for you just fine.

1684345172416.png

1684345572432.png

And finally, you should download the parts book for your car. That's how you find this obscure stuff.

Please let us know now it works out.

All the pics below are dupes from when working on this post and moving them around. Please ignore.

1684344246555.png

1684344635815.png

1684344770862.png

Last edited:
If your not doing a concourse resto you could make one out of some thin spring steel. Same clip as used on Chargers etc…
I can picture it vividly.

Yes, like Lowes has these. Probs have to drill them out a bit

1684351980556.png

Try for OEM but these might work too. plus give you a reason to get another free flashlight. But the switch will intermittently stop working so you need another.

1684353958213.png

Thanks for the replies and info. I have already placed an order for the clips.
If for some reason that doesn't work out, then Manny I will be in contact to purchase some used ones.

@Trace 300 Hurst - I also have many volumes / years of the mopar master parts catalogs and use them on a regular basis to track down parts. In this instance I was content with finding used parts and figured some members would have a few of these clips laying around in the spare parts.

Responding to this based on the info you provided about the possibility of another part number.
"But I then found a different PN for the retainer, 6027292. This one for Plymouths, Chryslers and Imperials. AND Superbird!! Is it the same as 1922183? Probably, but not totally sure."

Because after some further research in several different model year master parts catalogs believe that the Superbird parts list is a typo. The call-out numbers "36" and "37" in the illustration are most likely mis-labelled / reversed. Not surprising as the Superbird parts lists are well known to have been thrown together hurriedly and contain errors.
From that research it looks that the correct torsion bar clip for ALL cars with hidden headlights use the 1922183 part number.

In addition that same torsion clip part # 1922183 shows up as being used for several different applications related to station wagon tailgates. Which maybe helpful for tracking down wagon parts.

Providing this to assist any others. After going back and forth with several parts suppliers to order the clip listed as part # 1922183, including Central Jersey Motor parts it turns out that the clip they list under that part number is NOT the headlight torsion bar Retainer or "V -style clip"
Instead the part that is labelled 1922183 is the "lock ring". Attached is a picture that shows the clip that is under that part number.

clip_1922183.jpeg

Providing this to assist any others. After going back and forth with several parts suppliers to order the clip listed as part # 1922183, including Central Jersey Motor parts it turns out that the clip they list under that part number is NOT the headlight torsion bar Retainer or "V -style clip"
Instead the part that is labelled 1922183 is the "lock ring". Attached is a picture that shows the clip that is under that part number.
Wow, great feedback, thanks!
Amongst us, we've burned many manhours researching a common part that's worth pennies. But that's part of the fun of our hobby! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back