hidden headlights...once again...

dmac01

Reaction score
Hey all, thanks again for prior responses to my other question and thanks in advance for this one too...

chrysler hidden headlight relay...i tried to troubleshoot it...saw no voltage at the bulkhead connectors 25 and 29 with key on and headlight switch on...so I figured it was a bad relay.

I did the tyco replacement from this thread:
need headlight relay for 71 fury (the new relay had 85 and 86 switched from the pic, opposite sides of the relay..is this ok...not main question)

No joy after the switch. In tracing where the problem might be, i got continuity on the "light green" wire from the headlight switch to where it connects to the relay but never saw any voltage indicating the switch is "on"?

What should i see when switch on, 12 volts? If i should maybe the switch is bad?

the headlights do work; low and high beams...

Thanks gurus!!!!

Dave

In answer to the first and easy question, it makes no difference about 85 and 86.

The rest of the question is tougher...

The light green wires from the headlight switch also feed the dimmer switch, so if you aren't getting power to the green wire, you won't have headlights.

I would do this: I'd run a 12 volt wire from the battery or some good source like that and connect to the spade on the relay where the green wire is attached. Headlights off. Your headlight doors should open when you connect the wire and will close when you remove the wire. I believe the ignition has to be on for the doors to close though.

Thanks Big_John!

I will try that and report back in a couple of days...I can mostly work on it sat/sun.

I appreciate the help!

Dave

Jumping in here with a question.

I bought IGGY, Doc's black 73 four door Imperial from North Carolina. It showed up with the headlight doors open. I really haven't had time to get the multimeter out and trouble shoot, but it seems that there is a constant draw on the battery. I think the headlight doors must be pulling the power to try to close, but, "no joy".

Any thoughts before I get the multimeter out and start pulling wires?

Jumping in here with a question.

I bought IGGY, Doc's black 73 four door Imperial from North Carolina. It showed up with the headlight doors open. I really haven't had time to get the multimeter out and trouble shoot, but it seems that there is a constant draw on the battery. I think the headlight doors must be pulling the power to try to close, but, "no joy".

Any thoughts before I get the multimeter out and start pulling wires?

Since its a simple plug, unplug the motor and see if there is no draw. That's what I would do first.

If that is the case, I'd be surprised if the motor wasn't FUBAR at this point, but try cycling it through by hand and see if everything is free. Then hook it back up.

BTW, ignition has to be on for the motor to open and close.

Since its a simple plug, unplug the motor and see if there is no draw. That's what I would do first.

If that is the case, I'd be surprised if the motor wasn't FUBAR at this point, but try cycling it through by hand and see if everything is free. Then hook it back up.

BTW, ignition has to be on for the motor to open and close.
You are the expert, so will do. I have to be back to my storage place in South Dakota. (I just have so many cars now, I have to have a scorecard to keep track of all the work) May buy something this week out of the auction in Texas!

Back