Hidden Stereo System

NewportTM

Reaction score
I am wanting to install a new stereo in the Newport. But I want to leave the stock AM radio in place. Has anyone the hidden system or any of the Bluetooth systems. This will not be a high dollar stereo system. Just a couple 6x9`s in the rear deck and a dual voice coil 4x10 in the dash.

This subject comes up every now and then. I have a 65 Coronet that I wanted to keep as OEM appearing as I could. I bought a Kenwood radio, am/fm, cd, aux for mp3 and installed it in a reproduction glove box. The car is a convertible with no package tray and I didn't want to cut speaker holes in anything.
I fabbed up two wood boxes, lined with styrofoam and mounted 5" round three way speakers in them. The wire run under the sill plate and passenger seat to RCA connectors which I can plug into the 10 foot speaker leads. I can unplug and remove them for the OEM look ..... and can place the speakers as far as outside the car or on the boot at cruise ins ...... works great at drive-ins the broadcasts the sound through the cars radio.

radio in dash (Large).jpg

speaker (Large).jpg

Here's what I suggest: http://www.garytayman.com/stereo.htm

I have a similar system in my Chrysler and it works great.

The hidden Custom Autosound Secretaudio system looks good, but I've heard from some dealers and installers that the failure rate was pretty abysmal a few years ago. It may be better now, but I would put the $$ towards the conversion radio and it's done.

Here's what I suggest: http://www.garytayman.com/stereo.htm

I have a similar system in my Chrysler and it works great.

The hidden Custom Autosound Secretaudio system looks good, but I've heard from some dealers and installers that the failure rate was pretty abysmal a few years ago. It may be better now, but I would put the $$ towards the conversion radio and it's done.
Good info. Thanks for the post.

I am wanting to install a new stereo in the Newport. But I want to leave the stock AM radio in place. Has anyone the hidden system or any of the Bluetooth systems. This will not be a high dollar stereo system. Just a couple 6x9`s in the rear deck and a dual voice coil 4x10 in the dash.

Have you considered having the stock head unit converted to AM/FM with new electronics and outputs for MP3 player? I did that with the original AM/FM radio in my '65 300 and I'm very pleased with it. I would also retrofit a 6x9 in the dash. You'll be happy you did.

Perhaps you only need a new stereo system but no radio?

I think it is a good way to install a small amplifier in the trunk and have a wire for a switch and a wire with an earphone jack run up front to plug your MP3-player or mobile phone into. With that, you can also listen to the radio that is in your mobile phone (most modern phones - not necessarily smartphones - have this feature).

Back