High beam indicator bulb # needed

mr. fix it

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I’m about to finish the reassembling of my dash
Currently there is a #57 bulb in the high beam indicator socket and it is difficult to see even at night

Is there a different bulb needed?
Please let me know
Thanks

What is listed in the Owner's Manual? It "should" be there.

I say "should" above because I went to change a burnt brake bulb on my Son's 2002 Sebring Convertible on Sunday, but the bulb number was NOT listed in the manual. I thought they always were....

I’ll have a look
I just found a 1895 bulb that looks good but I have to try it to see if this will work

Last edited:
Be careful how hot they can get... I did see your message - I'll have to check my service manual and get back to you.

For our USA folks, for Canadian Dodge Polara/Monaco this will be the same bulb as found in a 65 or 66 Fury high beam indicator since Canadian cars use a Plymouth dash. It may or may not be the same as a USA Polara/Monaco.

I agree Ross

I just got in the door and tried the 1895
It’s marginally brighter and better than the #57 bulb but still not where I would like it to be
I scoured the service manuals and see no chart to indicate the number of the bulbs

Last edited:
My '68 manual had some wrong bulbs. For the instrument panel they showed two different ones, the #57 and one other. All the bulbs in my IP were #57

you can always go with LEDs

What number do you have for LED's?

The 1895 bulbs I tried are a bit better for brightness without I think having to be concerned about burning down the instrument panel:lol:

Last edited:
I think I'm onto something here...
So far the parts catalog is showing 8-39-3 as the bulb

now to translate it into something useful

upload_2019-4-30_20-36-32.png

upload_2019-4-30_20-37-29.png

Know that the code 8-39-0 refers to the LAMP which is a bulb and socket assembly.

The bulbs by themselves are listed by part number crossed referenced to bulb number in section 8-44-0

High Beam Indicator bulb is part number 127 934, which cross references to Bulb # 57. It's used in many different applications including Monaco and Polara USA versions, for everything from Gear shift selector to turn signals, heater controls, etc.

However, in my experience, some of them may have switched out to the wedge style bulb and socket with a bulb number 158. It depends on whether the high beam indicator is powered from the printed circuit board (which would use a # 158), or is powered by a wired socket like the turn signals (which would use a # 57).

Often times the connections and such are slightly corroded, and can benefit from a good cleaning. Ditto to all the connections to the dash from the main power supply of the ammeter gauge - corrosion means signal loss to heat, which is always a bad thing. Clean that shyte up! :)

Anyhow, hope this helps.

Know that the code 8-39-0 refers to the LAMP which is a bulb and socket assembly.

The bulbs by themselves are listed by part number crossed referenced to bulb number in section 8-44-0

High Beam Indicator bulb is part number 127 934, which cross references to Bulb # 57. It's used in many different applications including Monaco and Polara USA versions, for everything from Gear shift selector to turn signals, heater controls, etc.

However, in my experience, some of them may have switched out to the wedge style bulb and socket with a bulb number 158. It depends on whether the high beam indicator is powered from the printed circuit board (which would use a # 158), or is powered by a wired socket like the turn signals (which would use a # 57).

Often times the connections and such are slightly corroded, and can benefit from a good cleaning. Ditto to all the connections to the dash from the main power supply of the ammeter gauge - corrosion means signal loss to heat, which is always a bad thing. Clean that shyte up! :)

Anyhow, hope this helps.

Thanks for the run down & enlightenment here. I mis-read the manual.again... :rolleyes:

I just went out and took a few pictures of the cluster & the 1895 bulb is going to suffice for now as this is a big improvement over the #57.

The #57 was definitely too dim to be of any value. I did clean the circuit board and socket as this is powered by the printed board & not an external power source.

Have a look. The picture makes the indicator look brighter than what it really is.

IMG_6806.JPG

#57 crosses over to a BA9S base - so there are high output LEDs out there. I have a bunch tucked away for my dash when the time comes.

57 BA9s & BA7s LED Bulbs | LED Car Light Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs:

I do remember though at one time I picked up a box of 20 HIGH OUTPUT #57s and did my first Monaco's dash with them - they were excellent. I can't remember where I got them or the brand, but they were noticeably brighter than the replacements generally available at the time. That being said, I'm sure they were hotter too.

LEDs are the way to go in this situation, as they're behind a lense. I loathe and despise most LED lights for home use though - there's just nothing that compares to good old power sucking incandescent bulbs. Hopefully over the next while they'll get it right with LEDs, but so far, not yet in my opinion.

remember match the LED color to the high beam indicator. Red LED for the red indicator.

got it:thumbsup:
I converted my Goldwings to LED's and know that colour match is required or it will wash out the lense.

#57 crosses over to a BA9S base - so there are high output LEDs out there. I have a bunch tucked away for my dash when the time comes.

57 BA9s & BA7s LED Bulbs | LED Car Light Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs:
I loathe and despise most LED lights for home use though - there's just nothing that compares to good old power sucking incandescent bulbs. Hopefully over the next while they'll get it right with LEDs, but so far, not yet in my opinion.

Too funny! Home LED systems have come a long way as well.
You have to know where to find them at a reasonable price.

Back